Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I've had a Pre since September, so I've been through the works of the Pre. I read about patches and homebrew apps all the time so I'm pretty up to date, but my question is if I install this stuff, is this permanent? I mean if I'm not...happy with Preware and such, is that what webOS doctor is for? Can I make it a 'stock' Pre again?

    Also my biggest questions are Is 800Mhz worth it? Is it dangerous? Is there a high chance that my Pre could become faulty and not useable(I can't get another Pre because we had too many replacements in a year from other things.)? I know most members are like yeah patching and Preware is the best! But I just don't want to lose my phone due to overheating or if it gets stuck in some weird mode due to a patch, that I can't get a new phone period. I love my Pre and I'm sticking with webOS for a long time.
  2. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #2  
    Preware, like other homebrew apps, can be installed and uninstalled. Patches also can be installed and uninstalled. If you're not happy with something, uninstall it. If something goes very wrong, options less drastic that webOS Doctor are out there (and discussed in multiple threads in this forum).

    The positives and possible negatives associated with kernal manipulation are discussed in multiple threads with different views expressed depending on the poster's perspective. I assume you'll get the exact same discussion in this thread. I have plenty of patches, but I've left the kernal alone, so I'll leave others to restart this debate.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Preware, like other homebrew apps, can be installed and uninstalled. Patches also can be installed and uninstalled. If you're not happy with something, uninstall it. If something goes very wrong, options less drastic that webOS Doctor are out there (and discussed in multiple threads in this forum).

    The positives and possible negatives associated with kernal manipulation are discussed in multiple threads with different views expressed depending on the poster's perspective. I assume you'll get the exact same discussion in this thread. I have plenty of patches, but I've left the kernal alone, so I'll leave others to restart this debate.
    Basically what I want to know are the cons of getting Preware/patches.
  4. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Basically what I want to know are the cons of getting Preware/patches.
    There's no con to installing Preware. It's just a program. I haven't experienced any cons to using patches when I used them as intended without adding my 2 cents. (On the couple of occasions that I've had to use the Repair Utility, I made a mess of things on my own. It wasn't the patch's fault.) Patches that conflict, won't install. And if you want to see what a patch touches, the code is right there to explore.

    Occasionally, patches malfunction. I've only had a patch malfunction once, and fixing my phone wasn't that onerous.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Basically what I want to know are the cons of getting Preware/patches.
    From my experience there are no cons to using Preware and installing patches. I've also had my Pre since Sept. and I'm still on my first one, Preware, UberKernel, 40 plus patches and all, and my Phone is better than ever.

    I would recommend that you start out slow. Install Preware and try out some patches. The worse thing that can happen is you might need to run the webOS Doctor and restore your phone to factory fresh. You will have all the support you'll ever need right here at PC. Between the webOS internals group and this community, any problems you may encounter can be handled right here.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    From my experience there are no cons to using Preware and installing patches. I've also had my Pre since Sept. and I'm still on my first one, Preware, UberKernel, 40 plus patches and all, and my Phone is better than ever.

    I would recommend that you start out slow. Install Preware and try out some patches. The worse thing that can happen is you might need to run the webOS Doctor and restore your phone to factory fresh. You will have all the support you'll ever need right here at PC. Between the webOS internals group and this community, any problems you may encounter can be handled right here.
    So there's a very minimal chance I'll put my phone to an "unfixable" state by using just basic apps?

    Also people talk a lot about Luna always restarting. I don't want my phone periodically restarting for no reason, even if there is a Luna manager it would still frustrate me.
  7. #7  
    Preware is just an application that installs/unistalls Hombrew Apps, patches and themes. I have been running Preware and patches now for 8 months now with no issues such as luna restarts. I am currently running the Uber-Kernel patch with the Govnah App with no issues. In Preware they have tools such as the "emergency patch recovery" that removes all of the patches from your Pre if you so desire.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Preware is just an application that installs/unistalls Hombrew Apps, patches and themes. I have been running Preware and patches now for 8 months now with no issues such as luna restarts. I am currently running the Uber-Kernel patch with the Govnah App with no issues. In Preware they have tools such as the "emergency patch recovery" that removes all of the patches from your Pre if you so desire.
    +1

    Take the plunge Jakeeeee, the water is fine.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    +1

    Take the plunge Jakeeeee, the water is fine.
    Should I wait for the soon-to-arrive webOS 1.4.5? I mean it's like going to be before July probably so I mean...
  10. #10  
    I agree with what netwrkr9 said, including having my phone for 8 months and being patched and OC'd. I also agree that it is best to start out slowly, and do a lot of research before you get started, just so that you really understand what you are doing.

    As far as "killing" your Pre, it is almost impossible to brick a Pre. That is what the Doctor is for, along with Jason Robitaille's webOS Repair Utility, and the repair utilities on Preware. Although there have been rare cases of unfixable Pre's, I am unsure if they were direct results of patching or OC'ing.

    I say dive in with both feet and enjoy the wild, wonderful world of patching and homebrewing!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Should I wait for the soon-to-arrive webOS 1.4.5? I mean it's like going to be before July probably so I mean...
    Not to worry, thanks to AUPT any patches you have are OTA update Safe.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12. #12  
    I have patches going back to webos 1.3.5.1 that will not uninstall like "Enable Hidden Clock", "No Auto-off While Charging", "SMS Tone per Contact". Any ideas how to remove these from the update list manually???
  13. tsnum4's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #13  
    i consider myself an 'average' user. I only use WOSQI and Preware, I have never done any line commands or rooting of my Pre.

    I love patches. I currently have 41 patches installed, here are a few that I consider must haves (and have never had an issue with [I have had the same Pre since Sprint launch day]):

    1 of the launcher patches that allows more icons per page
    Enable add/delete pages
    Named Pages in Launcher
    SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers

    You really should try Preware, you will never regret it.
  14. #14  
    I don't believe there has been a single instance of damage from Preware. Any changes can always be reversed.
  15. #15  
    The worst I have run into is a patch that was stubborn to remove, but since the AUPT, it would be a rare instance.

    You can't ruin, or brick your phone with Preware/patches/Homebrew Apps.
  16.    #16  
    lol i downloaded preware like the day after this thread was made. Thanks though
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.

Posting Permissions