Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I dont see a technical support or help specific forum for the pre here so i guess this is the best place to describe my problem.

I recently bought a palm pre from ebay thinking ill get to join the palm pre scene but now i realize i cant use it since i need a sprint connected service or data plan to login with my palm pre profile or create one. I cant even get the option to use wifi as connectivity???. I cant get past that screen. Is there a way, through rooting maybe? I siriously need help, i dont want my pre to just end up a useless device that i paid alot of money for, at the moment its just a waste of money...and I really hope it doesnt turn out to be that way...
    there is a thread here for an emulatio in the dev section.
    you don't have sprint service already?
    It has slipped my mind at the moment but there is a way to get the phone to work past the profile screen and pick up wifi only.
    But I need to ask. Were you going to use this phone with service? If so then just take it to that carrier store and have it checked for a clean ESN and then have it activated. The biggest thing is the clear (clean) ESN. If the phone is stolen you will need to know right away so you can get your money back.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    no i dont have sprint, not yet at least but i dont think im going to be getting service till next year so no, sprint will be of little or no use to me. No the phone is not stolen, and esn is clean, im pretty sure although checking to make sure wont hurt me. Im just scared that if i do take it to a sprint store theyre going to ask me how i got it (im definitely not gonna tell them ebay). And if i tell them a friend sold it to me, theyre gonna ask for my "friend" to come in or something, and they may just reject me altogether and not help me at all...
    Tell them ebay. They hear that all the time. Let them know you want the ESN checked. Be upfront with them and they will help you if there is a problem. And I have to ask. If you are not going to turn the phone on, why did you purchase it? I know why I would but am curious why you did.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I mainly bought it just to experience webos first hand, to learn about it, and to see how this smartphone could benefit me over others. If i like, ill probably activate it...

wait, ***? my thread got put in GSM pre? Im not using a GSM pre, im using a CDMA pre for sprint....*/facepalm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tl12000 View Post
    I dont see a technical support or help specific forum for the pre here so i guess this is the best place to describe my problem.

I recently bought a palm pre from ebay thinking ill get to join the palm pre scene but now i realize i cant use it since i need a sprint connected service or data plan to login with my palm pre profile or create one. I cant even get the option to use wifi as connectivity???. I cant get past that screen. Is there a way, through rooting maybe? I siriously need help, i dont want my pre to just end up a useless device that i paid alot of money for, at the moment its just a waste of money...and I really hope it doesnt turn out to be that way...
    Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

This is from Palm's site on how to use the device without carrier service. You wont have access to the app catalog, OTA updates, text & SMS and some other services but you'll still be able to use data via WiFi.

You'll need some other programs like webOS quick install, webOS doctor, etc as well. You should be able to find the links to download these files by doing a search through the forum.
    Last edited by clayclay350; 05/14/2010 at 10:00 PM.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post

This is from Palm's site on how to use the device without carrier service. You wont have access to the app catalog, OTA updates, text & SMS and some other services but you'll still be able to use date via WiFi.

You'll need some other programs like webOS quick install, webOS doctor, etc as well. You should be able to find the links to download these files by doing a search through the forum.
    Gave you a thanks for the great post. Well put and informative.
    >Now where did I put my keys?<

We want them!!!
    Just curious, for how much did you get it off ebay?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i got it for 180 US dollars, not bad, since the conditions were pretty good, came with everything, manuals, box, cables, headphones, charger, even the plastic sprint covering of the box, and only one scuff at that bottom near the microphone. no scaratches, in the front or back.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

This is from Palm's site on how to use the device without carrier service. You wont have access to the app catalog, OTA updates, text & SMS and some other services but you'll still be able to use data via WiFi.

You FREAKIN rock man, thanks, preware here i come...those limitations are ok, oh and, why dont they just allow us to activate the palm profile thing while "ON" the developer mode instead of having to reflash an entirely new webOS...
    i got it for 180 US dollars, not bad, since the conditions were pretty good, came with everything, manuals, box, cables, headphones, charger, even the plastic sprint covering of the box, and only one scuff at that bottom near the microphone. no scaratches, in the front or back.
    Thanks... I'm considering buying a new Pre as mine was stolen earlier this week.
    one thing that people forget about the pre, it can be used just like an ipod touch. As long as you have a wifi connection, your set.
    You FREAKIN rock man, thanks, preware here i come...those limitations are ok, oh and, why dont they just allow us to activate the palm profile thing while "ON" the developer mode instead of having to reflash an entirely new webOS...
    If you feel that way, Clayclay350 has a thanks button in the post.

To answer your question. The Profile works through the service which you do not have.
    Have fun.

We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    If you feel that way, Clayclay350 has a thanks button in the post.

To answer your question. The Profile works through the service which you do not have.
    Have fun.
    thanks.im typing this on my pre now and typing is ok. Somewhat hard but still ok...oh and about service. I saw a snall patch or plugin or something from preware to run the first use application to create my profile and everything although I don't know if this will allow me to use service from sprint and palm serviceslike ota updates.
    awesome thanks a lot yo now i can use it

I know I'm late. But this is gone
    If you are looking for help, perhaps here:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMERON JONES3 View Post
    I know I'm late. But this is gone
    I can still see it.
    https://developer.palm.com/content/index.php?id=4522

Edit your HOSTS file
    23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161 ipkg.preware.org
    15.217.96.16 help.palm.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast