Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time I try to type the word 'its' webOS inserts and apostrophe in there. How the heck to I tell this thing I want a possessive pronoun not a contraction for it is??
    immediately after it corrects it, hit backspace once and it will undo the correction.
    Press the backspace key after it's "corrected" to "it's".
    just hit the backspace button after it adds it
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Type i t s space backspace
    Quote Originally Posted by impostpre View Post
    Every time I try to type the word 'its' webOS inserts and apostrophe in there. How the heck to I tell this thing I want a possessive pronoun not a contraction for it is??
    Oh, that one used to really annoy me on the iPhone! It doesn't happen with webOS for me though - European GSM Pre, 1.4.1
    I know that I'm going to regret asking this, but isn't "it's" equivalent to both "it is" and "belonging to it". Or is there some other meaning for "its"
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I know that I'm going to regret asking this, but isn't "it's" equivalent to both "it is" and "belonging to it". Or is there some other meaning for "its"
    i hated grammar, but i was operating under the same assumption.
    the op is correct grammatically. They are not interchangeable...
    The dog wants its bone. Not the dog wants it is bone.
    I think the confusion comes because dogs is plural, vs the dog's bone is possesive.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The dog wants its bone. Not the dog wants it is bone.
    Ignorant response removed by writer.
    Last edited by johncc; 05/13/2010 at 05:20 AM.
    Boy, the things you guys have time to angst about...

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I would and will continue to write "The dog wants it's bone" and mean the bone belonging to it. We seem to have a difference of opinion.
    your jk'ing, I hope. Difference of opinion?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I would and will continue to write "The dog wants it's bone" and mean the bone belonging to it. We seem to have a difference of opinion.
    When you have something like this the contraction get the apostrophe and the possessive does not.
    it follows the same pattern as he and she

Possesives :
    he - his
    she - hers
    it - its

Contraction of "... is"
    he - he's
    she - she's
    it - it's

Perfectly consistent.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    I think you mean you have a difference in being correct and incorrect.
    Y vould en vil contineu tu vrit "lyek I vant". Ve sim tu hev a divrenze of opinyun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast