1.    #1  
    I'm almost ready to move to a Pre (while I wait for the mysterious "C40" to appear), but now that I look at my ancient (and trusty!) 700p, I realize just how many contacts, notes/memos, To-Do Lists, etc., I have on it. Can anyone tell me how much effort I'm looking at to migrate it all to a Pre, and the quality of the tools available to do it?

(ps - apologies if this has been discussed before; I used search but got no hits on this)
    +1 dpaus for a timely question. My AT&T Centro is on its last legs. Having migrated contacts, appointment, notes, etc from multiple previous PalmOS devices I'm nervous and excited about moving to WebOS. Now that WebOS is finally available on AT&T there are probably quite a few legacy PalmOS users in the same position.
    Best way to do this is probably thinking of how to get all your info on google or yahoo. Don't worry about how to specifically get it on a pre... Get it on Google or yahoo.

There is a way to make your 700p sync with MS office instead. Search google and find out how to sync Palm desktop with google or yahoo. once you do that you are ready for Pre.
    I downloaded all pics, files, music, whatever to folder on desktop via USB, of could put on your card and remove, whatever is easiest. I still maintain a full backup on computer "just in case" the cloud via Google doesn't work.

Also Chapura can backup and transfer contacts. If I remember right, its an expensive app but has a free 7 day trial - use it wisely!!

You can transfer almost anything from your computer just like both of the above, so rather than be sorry, be safe - back it up. Then you can play with the cloud feature, see what works, etc. I know I had my contacts in computer in Microsoft, won't transfer, but set up Google account and it will. It will take experimentation, some frustration, but things work so much better.

And read up on Preware, its so much more fun and easy to use. Search and you will find all kinds of good info.
    Dunno about you folk, but I'm not sold on "the cloud" with Google and yahoo being the de-facto owners of my info.

I used to use Palm Desktop, then moved over to Outlook/exchange (we have our own exchage server, so having a big brother company to worry about snooping does not apply...yet!).

I think you can stay with Palm Desktop, and sync with that instead of "migrating" from your old phone. I don't know all of them, but search for "Chapura" (they make the pocket mirror products) and/or "missing sync". SOme of these allow you to sync with your desktop using your own wi-fi network.

Good luck!

russ
    Just use the Palm Data Transfer utility form the Palm website. It works fine. There is also a Palm Classic emulator you can buy from the appstore. Although that will cost you an additional $30. But then you can sync your Pre to your computer. I just did the data transfer tool. For my wifes Pre and mine and it works great. I kept my Old Palm Desktop on my laptop just it case for awhile anyhow. At some point I will ditch it.
    Use the Data Transfer Assistant, it also places your memos and Tasks on the Pre.
    Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows

Palm.com : FAQs about the Data Transfer Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaus View Post
    I'm almost ready to move to a Pre (while I wait for the mysterious "C40" to appear), but now that I look at my ancient (and trusty!) 700p, I realize just how many contacts, notes/memos, To-Do Lists, etc., I have on it. Can anyone tell me how much effort I'm looking at to migrate it all to a Pre, and the quality of the tools available to do it?

(ps - apologies if this has been discussed before; I used search but got no hits on this)
    This is where I differ from most users. I have been using Palm since their first device, and I don't believe in syncing any of my data to Yahoo/Google/etc.

I don't trust them because they index that info and have been known to play loose with my privacy (google about their privacy issues with Buzz) and it also is such a different paradigm when I was totally comfortable with about 14 years using Palm Hotsync (which Palm invented and perfected...)

So I recommend that you skip the profile set up (after you put in an email address) and then use a third party tool to populate your Pre. The details will depend on what you are syncing your Treo with today, and a few other details. But to me that is the best way to keep the process you are used to until you can experiment with Synergy and determine how (or if) you want to "sync with the cloud". Call me old fashioned.... but I know that long-standing PalmOS users often express agreement with me...

The 3rd party tools from CompanionLink and Chapura have a free trial period, so it doesn't cost you anything to try it this way, you can always go back and do it in the cloud, but once you have, it's hard to go back...

Let me know if you are interested, and I can point you to posts are add more to this thread to help you. You need to know what desktop software you use with your Treo (Palm Desktop, Outlook, etc.) and whether you have WiFI and home...

I hope this helps. Not everyone agrees with me, so this is just my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Use the Data Transfer Assistant, it also places your memos and Tasks on the Pre.
    Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows

Palm.com : FAQs about the Data Transfer Assistant
    As per my post above, I'm not fond of the DTA method. Especially for someone who has been using Palm Hotsync in the past...

I'm just sayin'
    If you have outlines in Bonsai or BrainForest, it is straightforward to export and import them into Outline Tracker for webOS: Migration to Outline Tracker
    (For BrainForest, Actions, Due Dates and Notes will all be folded into the text.)

If you use Life Balance, you'll have to manually re-create your items. :-(
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    The data transfer assistant is good for a one-time move, but not as an ongoing way to sync When I went from 700p to Pre, I had many of the same questions, but it took very little time to get used to cloud sync. With the 700p, I had to remember to hook a cable and manually initiate a sync. Now, I don't have to do that because the Pre does all the syncing for me automatically. Nothing to hook up or remember. It helps that I have an Exchange server to which I can sync calendar, contacts and email. I have 3 pc's and the Pre, and it's nice to know that they're all always in sync without my having to worry about it.
    But my wife prefers to sync with her PC rather than with the cloud, so she uses the Chapura application. That one is sometimes a little clunky to set up and requires that the PC has a wireless connection, but once you get it working, it does a quick and smooth Outlook sync.
    Chapura makes a product called Echo that will synch with Palm Desktop via Wi-Fi. However it only works with PD 6.2 not the venerable PD 4.2. For me that was an issue, so I went with CompanionLink instead.
    Last edited by JRoseman; 05/14/2010 at 12:01 PM.
  13.    #13  
    In the end, I went with Chapura. The sync worked great, but I confess to being pretty bummed at how lame the basic 'productivity' apps (ToDo, Memo, etc.) are on the pre vs. the Treo. Incredibly, they all use a larger, higher-resolution screen to show about 1/10th as much information. Hopefully I'll find some better ones.