Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. schlurch's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi community,

    ever connected your webOS device to a WiFi network with a common SSID which is used very often in different places?

    I have an example: the DSL-router "AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170" is a very popular product in Germany and used in most private households. Unfortunately, the router uses its product name as the SSID (WiFi Network Name) and most people just don't change that.
    You'll find WiFi Networks called "Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170" all over the place.

    Here is what can happen:
    a couple of weeks ago i was visiting a friend in a different city and connected my Palm Pre to his wifi-network called as mentioned above. Since then this SSID became a known network name to my pre. Back at home i realized that i have the same SSID in direct neighborhood. Every time i try to connect my pre with my home network it'll try to connect with "Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170" first, finds out that the Password doesn't match, tries again and again and finally decides to choose my network for good.
    So this happens all the time when i wander around the city and it drains battery power. Same happens if you've connected yourself once with a t-mobile hotspot which requires no password in the first place. There are hundreds of t-mobile hotspots around and the pre always wants to connect to it.

    What i need:

    A solution to delete known networks if you are not connected to them. The often given advice of using the "Forget Network" button only applies if you are actually connected to that network.

    Suggestions anyone?

    Are the known networks stored in the PalmDatabase.db3? How could i delete the settings in there? Thanks!
  2. schlurch's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #2  
    Isn't there anybody who might had the same problem?
    Last edited by schlurch; 05/12/2010 at 05:02 AM.
  3. #3  
    I also have connected to some APs in the past but never noticed a lag when connected to my home wifi.

    But I see what you mean: there seems to be no chance to delete not needed and unconnected hotspots.

    I'd like such a possibility :-)
  4. #4  
    What was the reasoning again for not just logging into the router and choosing to make your SSID unique??

    EDIT: Ahh... I can understand now, about how it will persistently connect to devices that you don't want it to connect to. For that, I would just install the "Device Menu Megamix" patch, by Jason Robitaille... and turn the wifi off in like 3 seconds if you truly don't need it. That is the greatest patch, by far, for webOS; it needs to be incorporated into the real OS.
  5. schlurch's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    What was the reasoning again for not just logging into the router and choosing to make your SSID unique??

    EDIT: Ahh... I can understand now, about how it will persistently connect to devices that you don't want it to connect to. For that, I would just install the "Device Menu Megamix" patch, by Jason Robitaille... and turn the wifi off in like 3 seconds if you truly don't need it. That is the greatest patch, by far, for webOS; it needs to be incorporated into the real OS.
    Thank you for the advice for that great patch but for turning off wifi i won't need that 'cause the normal way to turn wifi off is nearly as fast as with the patch. I turn wifi off when i leave the house in most cases.

    The main problem is that i get unnecessary connection attempts at home when i try to use my wifi-network.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlurch View Post
    Thank you for the advice for that great patch but for turning off wifi i won't need that 'cause the normal way to turn wifi off is nearly as fast as with the patch. I turn wifi off when i leave the house in most cases.

    The main problem is that i get unnecessary connection attempts at home when i try to use my wifi-network.
    So, then my original question was the right one to ask.

    Why not just setup a unique SSID on your wireless router at home??
  7. schlurch's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    So, then my original question was the right one to ask.

    Why not just setup a unique SSID on your wireless router at home??

    @grndslm: sorry for the misunderstanding. My home network indeed does have a unique SSID. But one of my neighbours' DOES NOT. My Pre still wants to connect to the neighbour's network FIRST, fails, and then connects to my own.
    The reason is that i've connected my pre to the similar SSID in a different city once and now the pre thinks that my neighbour's wifi is a common network which it's eventually not.
    All this causes a waste of time and who likes to wait?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    So, then my original question was the right one to ask.

    Why not just setup a unique SSID on your wireless router at home??
    That will not help. The problem are those other Wifi networks around his home which have the same SSID as another network he was once connected to. He cannot change those networks.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions