Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    you guys talkin about the auto turn on gps in google maps?
    i am assuming so - i did not install as i use a lot of programs that access the GPS in the background -- ie mode switcher, geostrings, where is my pre -- i need to leave the gps radio on
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i am assuming so - i did not install as i use a lot of programs that access the GPS in the background -- ie mode switcher, geostrings, where is my pre -- i need to leave the gps radio on
    Yea, this patch has worked wonders so far. Keep in mind I still have Ebag333's patch installed, so that might be helping as well. It seems that the action of toggling the gps works to clear the gps cache or "wake" the chip. I wonder if we patched it so that the gps turns off when there are no location based apps open if this would solve all our problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Yea, this patch has worked wonders so far. Keep in mind I still have Ebag333's patch installed, so that might be helping as well. It seems that the action of toggling the gps works to clear the gps cache or "wake" the chip. I wonder if we patched it so that the gps turns off when there are no location based apps open if this would solve all our problems?
    i've got the enable agps patch and auto toggle in googlepatch and generally toggle the gps manually using quicksystemtasks. Qst shows the gps shutdown randomly while an app is trying to wake the chip and after it's running even vznav. The qualcomm procedure being discussed calls into question alot about the vzw/palm setup of the device...atleast it does to me.. So it seems like a combo issue of spotty hardware and vzw/palm software integration that's causing poor gps performance, especially transistioning from sleep to agps and gps and the tower method.
    i've got the enable agps patch and auto toggle in googlepatch and generally toggle the gps manually using quicksystemtasks. Qst shows the gps shutdown randomly while an app is trying to wake the chip and after it's running even vznav. The qualcomm procedure being discussed calls into question alot about the vzw/palm setup of the device...atleast it does to me.. So it seems like a combo issue of spotty hardware and vzw/palm software integration that's causing poor gps performance, especially transistioning from sleep to agps and gps and the tower method.
    one thing that i can say is prior to 1.4 my GPS worked perfect -- with the update to 1.4 came my fist problems with GPS. I believe that in an effort to increase battery life something in the GPS was altered causing the chipset to rest. the unintentional result is that the chipset has a hard time waking up and the GPS feels crippled -- the QPST method enables other modes and quite possibly the one that was shut off to save battery life (i have not seen a marked increase in battery consumption since doing the qpst thing) This is not only a verizon problem - many sprint users reported these problems at one time and originally the qpst fix was for a sprint phone - i believe if i am wrong sorry ebagg- any way that is all just opinion on my part with very little fact to back it up but the results on my phone speak to me --
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    one thing that i can say is prior to 1.4 my GPS worked perfect -- with the update to 1.4 came my fist problems with GPS. I believe that in an effort to increase battery life something in the GPS was altered causing the chipset to rest. the unintentional result is that the chipset has a hard time waking up and the GPS feels crippled -- the QPST method enables other modes and quite possibly the one that was shut off to save battery life (i have not seen a marked increase in battery consumption since doing the qpst thing) This is not only a verizon problem - many sprint users reported these problems at one time and originally the qpst fix was for a sprint phone - i believe if i am wrong sorry ebagg- any way that is all just opinion on my part with very little fact to back it up but the results on my phone speak to me --
    That seems to make a lot of sense. Sometimes the chip seems to shut itself off after I close a location based app and not be able to turn itself back on when needed later. I'm starting to believe this is a major software issue that Palm definitely knows about and has a fix in the next update. They're probably keeping silent about it just like they were with the keyboard fix.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I believe that I have gotten to the bottom of this problem once and for all:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2452884

Networks in Motion (NIM) is the company who owns/wrote VZW Navigator. I believe that they are operating their own aGPS server on the Verizon network, and the reason why VZW Navigator works to get a quick fix when the VZW aGPS servers can't is because it is the only app using NIM's aGPS server.

I modified Ebag333's original patch to use an IP address and port on NIM's network that I discovered through tcpdump, and my GPS has been rock solid *indoors* so far (about an hour now) even after several restarts of Navit...and not one load of VZW Navigator since rebooting after the patch.

NIM is the company that gets all or a piece of the $9.99/month for every VZW Navigator subscription. They have the largest stake in making people pay for VZW Navigator, and it would make sense for Verizon to give them special aGPS access in order for their app to work the most accurately as part of their partnership deal. I get the feeling that Verizon's aGPS services aren't up to the task of dealing with the explosion of smart phones requiring accurate location services on their network, and their publicly-recommended suggestion for everyone to open VZW Navigator recognizes that it makes the Pre Plus use NIM's aGPS server to get an initial fix because theirs can't.

Although several others have claimed success with various fixes only to have them fall apart after further testing, I have faith enough to believe that my solution is the final fix because it also comes with an explanation for why opening VZW Navigator gets things working when none of the attempts to use Verizon's own aGPS servers have so far.

Let the testing begin.....
    looking good so far...wrote up a little rambling summary on the QPST thread. Getting good transitions from gps, agps, etc...

thanks...now.....if it holds....NAVIT
    The call to the Pre's GPS system includes parameters for accuracy and speed. NiceGPSuperior has a slider in Preferences that allows the user to adjust accuracy and speed of the GPS fix. If it is slid over to the right for maximum accuracy, does it force the GPS system to wake up on a Pre Plus? I'm just curious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    The call to the Pre's GPS system includes parameters for accuracy and speed. NiceGPSuperior has a slider in Preferences that allows the user to adjust accuracy and speed of the GPS fix. If it is slid over to the right for maximum accuracy, does it force the GPS system to wake up on a Pre Plus? I'm just curious...

...thanks, i didnt know about that feature of nicegps, i just added back to my gps quiver.. i'm getting good results with QPST alone and loc using google servs off. it can be slow to wake (it seems), or perhaps slowness is just the gps running thru different acquisition modes...??

i'm going to try a paid app from the catalog.... GPS wrestler it's only $2, and if it does what it says, then it should wake my gps up by sending multiple requests to the gps. it even has the "vz nav" method in it. except vznav (i quit touching it), thats what i do manually anyway which seems to get things moving....
    Last edited by jhodnettejr; 05/17/2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: formatting
    O.k., sometimes pictures can paint a thousand words. As I went to lunch today, I got my location 3 times with NiceGPSuperior in the highest accuracy mode (set in Preferences). Then I pressed the map button to see the map. I was traveling left to right in the attached screen captures. Can you spot the Saturn V mockup at the Space and Rocket Center? It casts a long shadow. My position is correct down to the side of the road I was on, if not the actual lane.

NiceGPSuperior doesn't do anything really fancy. It just requests the data from the built-in, documented GPS function of the phone. I'm sure most other GPS programs do the same thing, except I don't know which accuracy setting they are using. In NiceGPSuperior it is adjustable. What I'm saying is, Verizon Pre Plus phones should give the same accuracy if everything is working right.

Anyway, you can use these for comparison. The weather was mostly cloudy. You can see my speed and other data from one of the screen shots. The speed, location, and heading are accurate, but the altitude is just kind of ballpark and variable (this seems to be normal for me).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Stupid question and probably not related to the GPS problems in any way, but has anyone else pointed out yet that the Location Services permission request screen always says that "Google Maps" is requesting access no matter what app is being used??? I just noticed this for the first time when loading Navit, and thought that it was worth mentioning.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Stupid question and probably not related to the GPS problems in any way, but has anyone else pointed out yet that the Location Services permission request screen always says that "Google Maps" is requesting access no matter what app is being used??? I just noticed this for the first time when loading Navit, and thought that it was worth mentioning.....
    never noticed that.... do you run google servs in locate me using? i'm assuming that you're not using auto-locate....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I don't use Navit, but could it be that Navit uses google maps as part of the program?

Tested with GPS Dashboard+... says "Allow the gpsDashboard+ application to use Location Services for this session?"

And Trapster requests that Trapster be allowed to use Location Services...

Those are the only GPS programs I have, so I'm unable to duplicate your issue.. but like I said, it may be that Navit uses google maps for navigation.

?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    never noticed that.... do you run google servs in locate me using? i'm assuming that you're not using auto-locate....
    No, I don't have it configured to use Google's location stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionSoul View Post
    Those are the only GPS programs I have, so I'm unable to duplicate your issue.. but like I said, it may be that Navit uses google maps for navigation.
    Navit is a native (SDL) app, and does not use Google maps. (I have a 3.5 gig file containing the entire world's maps on my USB partition, and can use Navit in Airplane mode thanks to the QPST fix that makes the GPS function standalone.)

I noticed this afternoon (in a drenching downpour) that the webOS GPS Weather app that I was developing prompted by it's proper webOS name. What I think is happening is that the location services prompt defaults to Google Maps whenever being called by a native SDL app, because native apps do not have a webOS app name that can easily be referenced via JavaScript like proper webOS apps. I just hope that they didn't make any other ASSumptions about GPS settings based on the lack of a webOS app name.....
    how do the 3rd party apps access the gps? how do they attempt to wake the gps? are there steps to it...like first cached location, then agps data, then real gps??
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Apps don't need the wake up the GPS, they just ask the system for data. You can specify and accuracy you like, how long the system should take to acquire the data, and if you want continuous tracking or not.

If you're interested here's the actual API documentation page:

[url= Service – Palm Developer Center[/url]
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    I'm having problems with my verizon palm pixi plus. It's running 1.4.1 with preware installed. I have the aGPS patch installed along with the auto gps off patch. My girlfriends phone has all the exact patches as mine along with everything else besides the theme the same and her phone locks gps just fine. I set both up so they're identical. What do you think could be the problem? Mines either 40 yards off or on the other side of the town. hers is a little off and eventually moves within seconds to where she is. Help?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone has pointed out that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the Android side of the fence with Verizon, but here's a troubleshooting thread from Droid users who are apparently suffering with the exact same GPS issues/symptoms that we are:

My Droid can't find GPS.. It just stays on "Searching for GPS" when I try to Navigate. My Use GPS is toggled on. - Google Mobile Help

I like how they have isolated the problem down to certain regions, and whether one was an Alltel customer before they were bought up by Verizon.

Some new variables to research, and of course a common enemy in Verizon for their flaky location services.....
    Any luck, fellas? Recently, my favored method of opening VZN once, closing it, opening it again, then opening whatever app I want to use has failed. GPSDashboard can't seem to get any less than 10.2m resolution, and even that can't stay constant. For some reason, the second I move, it loses contact. When I do manage to get a lock, Google Maps follows my movements, but about 1 block away!

This is with GPS turned on, Google Services off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Any luck, fellas? Recently, my favored method of opening VZN once, closing it, opening it again, then opening whatever app I want to use has failed. GPSDashboard can't seem to get any less than 10.2m resolution, and even that can't stay constant. For some reason, the second I move, it loses contact. When I do manage to get a lock, Google Maps follows my movements, but about 1 block away!

This is with GPS turned on, Google Services off.

do this

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

this is the only thing that helped me and it has fixed my gps
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast