Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    moserjj - maybe the host and port should be the PDE settings that Ebag333 listed in his other thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html:

PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889

I also found this address/port on the Internet:
    PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132
    PDE Port number: 8888
    and now this.... What the....?????
    http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus
    [QUOTE=jhodnettejr;2427371]and now this.... What the....?????
    [url]

old news. That's why we have been talking about aGPS which is what vz accesses via vz navigator. Not required for gps, but it apparently helps make it all work.
    ok, did more testing tonight. This time I was in front of the house, which faces west (usually out back dafing east)

couldn't get a lock after 30+ minutes. Went out back and locked in about 2 minutes.

out back, trees partially lock to the north. Out front block to the south. Probably need a map of geosat locations. Hmmmm.
    and loading multiple appa seemed to speed up the lock in google maps, but the apps (especially GPSdashboard - paid version - didn't lock. Strange
    Tested again this morning after keeping the gps off overnight. It seems either simpleGPS or GPS dashboard can be used to activate the gps, and they do it pretty quickly (within about 2 mins).

I'm not sure if its been said already, but Google maps seems to only grab the data from the gps, it doesn't actually ever activate it. I even try leaving google maps on for several minutes and the location never updates on its own without having at least a 3rd party gps app running in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Tested again this morning after keeping the gps off overnight. It seems either simpleGPS or GPS dashboard can be used to activate the gps, and they do it pretty quickly (within about 2 mins).

I'm not sure if its been said already, but Google maps seems to only grab the data from the gps, it doesn't actually ever activate it. I even try leaving google maps on for several minutes and the location never updates on its own without having at least a 3rd party gps app running in the background.
    Have you tried Latitude or Text-my-Location? They seem to be effective, as well.

I believe that google maps works better with google services turned on and i think that the more you leave goole services on the more acurate that they become and that they will allow you to get a quicker GPS lock as well -- just my opinion but i have had google services on for months and rarely have GPs issues
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    @Mespiff: Which phone are you using?

I just tried turning on the google services on my Verizon Pre Plus and my gps stopped working. None of the 3rd party apps could update the gps data either. I tried toggling off google services and the gps still ceased to work.

I went for the final straw and launched VZ Nav (boy do I feel dirty everytime I need to open it) and within seconds the gps was working again.

The issue seems to be either google services OR gps, but you can't have both. On top of that, VZ Nav is the only app that can kick-start the gps similar to when you reboot your phone.
    @Mespiff: Which phone are you using?

I just tried turning on the google services on my Verizon Pre Plus and my gps stopped working. None of the 3rd party apps could update the gps data either. I tried toggling off google services and the gps still ceased to work.

I went for the final straw and launched VZ Nav (boy do I feel dirty everytime I need to open it) and within seconds the gps was working again.

The issue seems to be either google services OR gps, but you can't have both. On top of that, VZ Nav is the only app that can kick-start the gps similar to when you reboot your phone.
    i am on a verizon pre + running 1.4.1.1 -- i am running the uber kernel and scaler ap as well as 50 or so patches -- i have google services and gps on and auto locate turned on -- i have no idea why my phone seems to be working -- i had some problems early on after the 1.4 update but believe that that was more from the killing of headless aps then the gps itself ( where is my pre quit working and i thought it was the gps) -- i have pretty much left the settings alone for weeks now and i think the location of my phone is getting stronger for what ever reason -- for example i could never get a fix in my home but the last week or so google maps will show me not only in my home but in the proper quadrant of the house. I wish that other people were experiencing the same results that i am as i really feel everyones pain -- i use geostrings alot and have where is my pre sending locations every 60 min. i have trapster turn on when i drive my car and all of these aps work acceptably well -- maybe it is just that Mode switcher, where is my pre, and geostrings all access the GPS randomly and continously and that is keeping the chipset alive and active.
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    you know some times things slip from my mind -- getting older i guess
    i read and followed the thread below-- a couple of months ago

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

this could be the reason that my gps is working while so many others are not.

give it a try --i remember hacking the crud out of my phones with qpst in the day and that was one of the reasons that i found the thread interesting

oh and by the way the msl code for verizon phones is 000000
    Last edited by mespiff; 05/08/2010 at 01:03 AM.
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    I just saw this thread. I was wondering why my app was getting downloaded so much...

In case anyone is interested, there is absolutely nothing special about the way SimpleGPS accesses the GPS unit. I'm just using the standard documented methods. I would guess that the problem with google maps is that it doesn't use the tracking feature of the GPS unit. I seems that every time an app requests a single location read, ie. not using tracking, the whole routine of acquiring a GPS fixed is started over, so it never gets a chance to refine the accuracy. There are some options to tell the GPS unit to take longer to acquire an initial fix, but considering how long it sometimes takes for the accuracy to improve to a usable range even that may not be enough.

I think this is probably done to save battery life. The GPS unit is probably turned off normally and only comes on when it gets a request for a location. For it to maintain an accurate location fix all the time, the GPS unit would have to be on all the time, which is what tracking forces the unit to do.
    in light of the recent aGPS patch, I figure I'd post my results here.

So far, it hasn't improved anything for me and my gps stll randomly falls asleep. VZ nav still helps wake it up.
    Also, keeping gps Trip Panel open seems to be able to prevent the gps from falling asleep.

I really believe the issue isn't that the apps aren't accessing the agps, but more the fact that the gps just never properly gets activated. I've tried running google maps or any 3rd party app for 5+ minutes just to see if they can eventually acquire a lock and they just never do. If the agps was working I should at least get an inaccurate location no?

Then again, I don't know how to program or do any technical hardware testing, so I could be completely wrong about this. Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.
    Last edited by cr_8_tiv; 05/10/2010 at 04:11 PM.
    I've noticed something interesting and potentially important: when I turn Auto Locate off, the act of applications asking for permission to use Location Services seems to wake up the GPS. As long as the GPS remains awake, they continue to be able to get good locks. If the GPS (seemingly) goes back to sleep before the Location Services permission session has expired, that app can no longer get a fix until and unless I launch a different app that *does* ask permission. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    is it possible that aps like -where is my pre- or- mode switcher- that are constantly polling for gps locations help keep the GPS chipset awake? My pre+ GPS work pretty well as i feel it should -- i have google services, gps, and autolocate turned on - always. mode switcher and WIMP work rather well and if i am indoors i get a solid position 50 percent of the time -- google maps will open and show a good location and if i am outside it will show withing 5 feet at all times -- trapster is always solid. i did the QPST tweak a few months ago and have not really touched my GPS or settings much since. -- today i wanted to see if this patch wouold help get even a little more accuracy out of the GPS and i installed the pound.verizon version. -- my gps quit working and started acting like everyone here is complaining about. i uninstalled the patch and the GPS was still hinky..... i rebooted the phone a few times and went to the QPST to see if those settings were still in place. i again re booted the phone and put it down for the remainder of the day. -- when i got in the car to drive home from work trapster had difficulty finding a fix and google maps would not lock on -- i left both of these cards open and drove home -- by the time i got home 45 min later both aps were showing solid locations and tracking me spot on. --i am right now sitting in my dining room on the ground floor of a 2 story house and google maps is showing me in the right quadrant of the houose and operation seems to be back to normal --- my lesson learned i will be happy with what i have
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Its very likely that location-based apps help keep the gps chip awake.However, even when i leave those cards open the chip will randomly fall asleep sometimes, and I think its from a weak satellite signal.

One thing that seems to really be working for me lately is the new google maps patch that turns on your gps after each launch, and turns it off when you close it. I've tested it over a dozen times in the last 24 hours and google maps is able to acquire AND follow me EVERYTIME.

I also have that aGPS patch by Ebag333 installed. That didn't change anything for me, but the second I added the Google maps gps patch its been nothing but glorious. I don't know if its the combination of the two, but for now I'll stick with these settings and do more testing.
    google maps gps patch???
    ...the second I added the Google maps gps patch its been nothing but glorious.
    What is that/where can I find it?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    What is that/where can I find it?

Thanks.
    it went on preware yesterday
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    it went on preware yesterday
    you guys talkin about the auto turn on gps in google maps?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast