Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I finally got forced into updating 1.4.1.1 by Verizon tonight. I removed the 800mhz overclock patch I had installed (via .sh file), but when I went to restore everything I found that every forum thread that relates to overclocking has been closed. It appears there was some kind of flamewar between kernel hackers and after it got nasty they just took their ball and went home. Is this correct? As far as I can tell, every version of overclocking (.sh, .ipk, and super pre kernel app) have been pulled from mediafire and as I said the threads are closed.

I came to the Pre from the iPhone, and dabbled in the jailbreaking scene. I never came across anything like this before. It's really sad that a resource so amazing, and the people's hard work to make it happen, could be so readily abandoned due to the vitriol between the people who help make the Pre homebrew community so amazing.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and I'm just having a problem finding the new and improved overclocking threads or something. Am I really SOL?
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Add these two test feeds to your preware.
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

Latest kernel is Uber-kernel. You can use Govnah or CPU Scaler for controlling the speeds. Uber-kernel and Govnah are in the test feeds.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...cpu-speed.html
    Last edited by fareal; 05/02/2010 at 11:10 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Oh wait now I found the Uber-kernel threads. Maybe it's all blown over? Sorry if I'm out of the loop. Please ignore!
    search Uber-Kernel & install it together with Govnah. If you cannot find it, install the webos-internals test feed. Good luck!

BLiip
    I want to bump the original question - I have Super Pre Kernel, saved all directions and both files after installing - runs like a champ and so appreciated all the work, the time, and even the silly video which was so educational and entertaining.

Went on vacation, saw this request, decided to search (always first) and see there are no links on Super Pre, which was 2nd generation.

Now I see 3rd generation listed as Uber. What happened? What did i miss as I relaxed at beach with my fast, trusty Pre, listening to music, taking pics and not checking email.
    It seems you missed certain people attacking those that have worked so hard and done so well (Caj, for example). I find this to be total BS, I find his kernels work the best. The problem with the 3rd gen and govnah is that you can't make settings "stick", I have major issues with that. Everytime I have to reboot I have to set up the settings again? (For safety reasons apparently) Com'on, I'm not *****. If I want to make the settings stick it's my phone and I'll take the risk. Ultimate CPU Scaler is apparently out of the question also, no longer downloadable due to some issues with Palm I read (probably because he made people pay for that model and didn't do it on the Palm Catalog I'm guessing)

It's all crap, certainly tiring me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    It seems you missed certain people attacking those that have worked so hard and done so well (Caj, for example). I find this to be total BS, I find his kernels work the best. The problem with the 3rd gen and govnah is that you can't make settings "stick", I have major issues with that. Everytime I have to reboot I have to set up the settings again? (For safety reasons apparently) Com'on, I'm not *****. If I want to make the settings stick it's my phone and I'll take the risk. Ultimate CPU Scaler is apparently out of the question also, no longer downloadable due to some issues with Palm I read (probably because he made people pay for that model and didn't do it on the Palm Catalog I'm guessing)

Ultimate is back. Has released it with hopes of donations....WHICH EVERYBODY BETTER DO!!!!

http://www.l337tech.com/tips-and-tri...s-cpu-scaling/
    Was waiting for the "Ok" to download Super PreKernel from Preware* but that might take a while, will give Uber Kernel+CPUscalerUltimate a shot. Here's hopping I don't have many hangups as others have reported using UK.

*(apparently everything was perfect when intalling with WOSQI but Preware was still in alpha stages)
    It seems you missed certain people attacking those that have worked so hard and done so well (Caj, for example). I find this to be total BS, I find his kernels work the best ....... Ultimate CPU Scaler is apparently out of the question also, no longer downloadable due to some issues with Palm I read (probably because he made people pay for that model and didn't do it on the Palm Catalog I'm guessing)

First, while caj is a great guy and did a hell of a lot to further pre overclocking (more than anyone, as I believe it was his original concept idea and his collaboration with unixpsycho that got it all started ), he didn't do any of the actual coding on the kernel. So they aren't "his" kernels. Unixpsycho did the coding pretty much everything, especially so on the first generation ones. Without caj, who knows if we would have ever had overclocking kernels like the SPK or the new and awesome uber-kernel. But I suspect we might have, just probably later than this.

Second, the uber-scaler is back, free, and downloadable. But it is HIGHLY recommended to donate for it, as that will help ensure it is updated to support the new kernel tech and also because of the huge amount of work that went into it. I believe number1pete was the developer of this, but I could be wrong there. (I'm not a current or former user of the software).
    Wow....I am glad session has ended here in Florida, since I guess I missed a lot. I have the super kernal, and b/c of my lack of tech-ness, I have NO clue even after reading how to install the 3rd generation kernal.

I guess I will have to wait until things are more simplified without all the do this, then that, etc. I will await preware or a simple link to download to computer, then work through quick install...
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    ...they aren't "his" kernels.
    I disagree, for as much work that he put in and the EXTENSIVE testing that kept the safety in mind for the general user makes it as much "his" as any of the developers working on the project.

uber-scaler is back, free, and downloadable. But it is HIGHLY recommended to donate for it, as that will help ensure it is updated to support the new kernel tech and also because of the huge amount of work that went into it.
    Completely AGREE.

Caj2008, your various work is very much appreciated and look forward to see/enjoy your future contributions to webOS Homebrew.

P.S.- Number1pete IS the developer for CPUscalerUltimate.
    Caj2008, Unixpscycho, Number1pete, rwhitby and the rest of the webOSInternals members should all be rewarded for their contributions ...specially Jason Robitaille.
    Last edited by T0F3R; 05/03/2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    It is better for the good of the forum that people continue with Uber as that will continue to be supported by updates down the road . I took a lot of heat and had accusation thrown at me that made me too uncomfortable to continue (SPK distribution may be done by anyone, just not me any longer). Please reread my posts as I am very clear what my motives were and who did what. Just like I wrote in my final SPK post, I did this to unify the forum in the long term so there would be no more issues.

Thank You
    oh! caj2008,we will miss you regardless.

RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wow wonder where I been when all this happened? this sucks, well I still have spk on my pre running just fine for me so I guess ill wait till uk is out of testing and simpler to install
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Uber kernel is very easy to install through Preware alpha (and mainline Preware as well, I believe), and I am pretty sure it can be installed through WOSQI as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by T0F3R View Post
    I disagree, for as much work that he put in and the EXTENSIVE testing that kept the safety in mind for the general user makes it as much "his" as any of the developers working on the project.
    I'm not saying they aren't his, I just meant they aren't his exclusively. I was just trying to point out that others (unixpsycho, Jason Robitaille, number1pete) had very valuable hands in the creation, development, and packaging and it seemed to me sometimes others forgot that and simply said "caj's kernels" which would sort of imply he created, coded, and packaged them up by himself. Which isn't entirely true. That's all I was saying. I still think caj2008 was a huge asset to the community and I really hope he sticks around and continues to contribute.

I bought no1petes CPU scaler ultimate and have had no problems whatsoever. Settings stick on reboot and i've been happily scaling between 250 and 800 for weeks now. I bought it because I think it was worth supporting the author's hard work.

Is there a better one out there? I tend to stick with what works and i've had 0 issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    I'm not saying they aren't his, I just meant they aren't his exclusively. I was just trying to point out that others (unixpsycho, Jason Robitaille, number1pete) had very valuable hands in the creation, development, and packaging and it seemed to me sometimes others forgot that and simply said "caj's kernels" which would sort of imply he created, coded, and packaged them up by himself.
    That's true and we are all guilty of making similar mistakes, particularly the less involved of PreCentral forum members.
    It is an important distinction to make and I'm glad you clarified it.
    ...I still think caj2008 was a huge asset to the community and I really hope he sticks around and continues to contribute.
    I believe many of us are with you on that one.
    It's not very often that we feel real comradery from a community (insults, flaming & trolls hinder it), I do think that there is a sense of it from PreCentral & the Homebrew crew. Here's hoping it continues.
    The problem with the 3rd gen and govnah is that you can't make settings "stick", I have major issues with that. Everytime I have to reboot I have to set up the settings again? (For safety reasons apparently) Com'on, I'm not *****. If I want to make the settings stick it's my phone and I'll take the risk.
    Why does "not yet" seem to equate to "never" for some people?

In fact, I was just talking with Jason R this morning about how he would be able to use the new binary patching support in AUPT-4 to make a simple patch for those people who want to precisely replicate what they had with SPK. I hope that he does so, so that we can satisfy the needs of those who want to continue to use the overclocking settings that they feel comfortable with, but with the addition of AUPT safety when the next webOS update arrives in a couple of weeks time.

When Uber-Kernel hits the Preware public feeds, it will be available to over 200,000 people to install - many of whom have never logged into PreCentral. Forgive us if we want to make sure that 100,000 of them don't have a bad experience.

Ultimate CPU Scaler is apparently out of the question also, no longer downloadable due to some issues with Palm I read (probably because he made people pay for that model and didn't do it on the Palm Catalog I'm guessing)
    CPU Scaler Ultimate is now available for free from Casey@l337tech.

I've donated $20 to the author (on top of the purchase I made a couple of weeks ago). I strongly urge anyone else who wants to use it with Uber-Kernel to do the same.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm actually happy CPU Scaler Ultimate makes the settings stick with the 3rd Gen Uber Kernel, it's a good combination. Certainly won't catch me using Govnah..
    I'm actually happy CPU Scaler Ultimate makes the settings stick with the 3rd Gen Uber Kernel, it's a good combination. Certainly won't catch me using Govnah..
    Yep, that's the beauty of multiple open interoperable solutions.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast