Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    in Birmingham they love the Govnah
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    in Birmingham they love the Govnah
    and I hope neil young will remember a Southern man don't need him around anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    and I hope neil young will remember a Southern man don't need him around anyhow.
    Great, now it's in my head. woo hoo hoo
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    First and foremost Thank you caj2008, unixpsycho, Jason Robitaille, number1pete, WebOS Internals Crew and everyone else for all their hard work. I wish I could donate more and intend to whenever I can...

I Just wanted to toss in my experience running SPK and CPU Scaler Ultimate, both have been working great! Only things to note are that SPK won't seem to run at 125MHz nor 250MHz, which is fine I suppose and perhaps it's not supposed to do those speeds. I really like the CPU Scaler's ability to stick scaling preferences, however I'm not a big fan of the apps appearance and the way the buttons work but it does get the job done. (No hard feelings still love the app). From the screen shots I think I would prefer the cleaner look and menus of the Govnah app, and the graphs look good (I wonder if they are persistent, you'll see where I'm going in a minute.) But alas the ability to stick the scaling preferences wins out for the moment.

Anyway, I wanted to share this crazy stupid RRDtools graphing junk I did because I wanted to "see" what these kernels were doing and how hot the phone was getting. Shortly after getting my Pre I wrote a little shell script that cron calls ever minute on the phone to collect a bunch of data and "send it" to a server. By "Send it" I mean it wget's a non existant page at a web server which logs the request in it's error log, which I can later parse for all the data points (Ya, I know it's dumb). Anyway at first I grabbed GPS data, battery (soc, temp, mA, mV), and load. About a week after installing the SPK I added uptime and time_in_state, next up are the network interfaces counters. Anyway, I digress, finally on the web server I use some RRDtools tricks to parse out the "error log(blushes)" data and render out these types of graphs.

So here's the last weeks worth of data, you can see where I added the "time_in_state"(MHz) data, I had been running the SPK for about a week prior to logging this new state data. From what I can tell the CPU speed doesn't really directly effect the temp, Looking back on the last few months it's been hotter without overclocking. I'd say it's more related to radio use, screen brightness, and battery charging...

When in Scaling mode the MHZ fill area looks like green fire representing the amount of time spent in each state. Here's yesterdays graph, Not much use from midnight till 5AM when it got plugged in. I played around with the MHz between noon and 4:30 going from 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHZ, 800MHz and finally back to 500-800MHz Scaling. Then on and off power during the afternoon and evening. You can also see at the end of the day from about 11PM till now I've been Streaming some PalmCast Episodes, probably don't need to be running at 720MHz and 800MHz but it is, I bet the 3rd Gen Uber-Kernels new "screenstate" stuff would help there...

The times where the green MHz fill area seems to drop off and the load rises is when the phone is sleeping but still waking up every half hour to hour or so (probably due to an email or SMS arriving) which lets cron run and send off a set of data points. I'm sorry if I appear to have hijacked this thread, but it was the kernel hacks that pushed me to actually write the crummy script to turn all my old data into graphs so this seemed an appropriate place to share. Anyway, perhaps someone will be inspired to write a real data logging and graphing app, maybe I'll find some time to clean up my garbage to make it presentable or write a respectable app and service myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    @Dolia, that is a really useful way to compare things. I for one think a packaged up like such would be great for a concerned user. Are your temp scales accurate because it appears that your temp does not go over 40 degrees?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    @Dolia, that is a really useful way to compare things. I for one think a packaged up like such would be great for a concerned user. Are your temp scales accurate because it appears that your temp does not go over 40 degrees?
    I think it might be in Celsius.
    Thanks for the compliment mp715 but I gueesed it was in celcius, else if had been fahrenheit he would be very close to freezing water. What I was trying to get at was that my phone regularly jumps over 40 degrees and his does not appear to. I'm wondering if I have a faulty battery, but maybe I should have wrote a little more the first time.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Looking back since Sep or so of last year when I started keeping track I think it only went over 40 degC 3 or 4 times.

On Monday it want over 45 degC and the "temperature alert" went off for the first time ever. I had been streaming a local radio station via my new blue tooth headset for about 2 hours or so, but wasn't getting much hotter than 35 degC doing that. Then while continuing to stream I fired up tethering for an iPod Touch and was online for about 15 minutes or so with all three radios blasting away and the phone snug in my pocket when the alarm went off. So I wrapped up my tethering tasks, stopped streaming, and warmed my cold hands with the Pre for a minute or two.

The overheating event happened at about 15:00, you can see the big drop in SOC as I continued streaming, started tethering, and unplugged from the charger to go outside. But it cooled off pretty quick, and I then resumed streaming for another few hours.

But I still don't think that the overclocking was really the reason it got so hot. I'll have to do more tests but I think that under those conditions it would have got just as hot running at 500MHz.

Changed up the colors, lost some "data" during a web server log rotation somehow, and added network data at the very end of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dolio; 05/06/2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added image.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12