Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Thats pretty cool!

I just did it from a file that was originally 4.5mb and used the 64 setting, got the file to 2.3mb. For ME, it sounds just fine.

And ya If Im gonna sit and listen to the NY Philharmonic and want to relish and take in every tiny sound nuance, Im not listening on a cell phone anyway, I'll pull out a vinyl an really enjoy it.

But if Im out for a bike ride, and have my pre with me, to listen to the Beatles, or Matchbox 20, or Green Day, or any other music to just enjoy for what Im doing, Id rather have 2x or 3x as much variety than worry about trying to emulate the sound quality of live performance,

Thanks for a really cool and useful tip!

I agree, as a broadcast engineer for many years, If I want sound quality, I will listen on my home theater system or one of the many studio systems available to me. Listening to music either on my cell phone or a MP3 player for that matter is just for portable enjoyment so I can sacrifice the "quality". Thanks for the tip!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    still boggles my mind that palm doesn't include vorbis and flac support.
  3.    #23  
    flac is lossless compression.

To play a flac file in realtime requires a LOT of CPU power.

This is the same issue with Flash we are seeing: Flac would destroy your battery.

Plus, Flac sounds perfect, but with only about a 40% loss in file size over .WAV: you really wouldnt be able to fit that many songs on your 7 gigs.

PS: Just use 320kbs AAC... im not trying to tell you what you can or cannot do, but I guarantee the difference between FLAC and 320Kbs is negligible on a handheld device.

The SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) quality of the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and Amplifier on these Pre's isnt good enough to even playback the difference in quality. I guarantee it.

I would keep all your files on your PC in 96/24 Flac and then convert them to something like 320Kbs AAC if you are concerned about quality or 80Kbs AAC+ if you want a lot of space on your Pre.

Although Ogg Vorbis would be nice... And Theora video playback. I'm always for Open Source Standards.
    If not using itunes, just use

Code:
    --preset standard
    with lame (or cdex, if you are a windows user. I keep that one on my portable apps USB drive, just in case).

This is a high quality VBR output which is a good compromise between size and quality. From the Lame Man page:

Presets

The --preset switches are designed to provide the highest possible quality.

They have for the most part been subject to and tuned via rigorous double blind listening tests to verify and achieve this objective.

These are continually updated to coincide with the latest developments that occur and as a result should provide you with nearly the best quality currently possible from LAME.

To activate these presets:

For VBR modes (generally highest quality):

--preset medium
    This preset should provide near transparency to most people on most music.
    --preset standard
    This preset should generally be transparent to most people on most music and is already quite high in quality.
    --preset extreme
    If you have extremely good hearing and similar equipment, this preset will generally provide slightly higher quality than the standard mode.
    For CBR 320kbps (highest quality possible from the --preset switches):
    --preset insane
    This preset will usually be overkill for most people and most situations, but if you must have the absolute highest quality with no regard to filesize, this is the way to go.
    For ABR modes (high quality per given bitrate but not as high as VBR):
    --preset kbps
    Using this preset will usually give you good quality at a specified bitrate. Depending on the bitrate entered, this preset will determine the optimal settings for that particular situation. While this approach works, it is not nearly as flexible as VBR, and usually will not attain the same level of quality as VBR at higher bitrates.
    : (){:|:&};:
  5.    #25  
    Heres another tip:

in itunes when you convert file formats, it puts all the new files with your origionals...which can be a pain to organize and delete.

Just go to "File>New Smart Playlist"

Make a smart playlist that looks at "Bit Rate" is between 48-80kbs.

Call the playlist something like Palm Pre Converted.

This way all of your converted files will show up in one place.
    now that's a better way to zip music into our beloved pre...
    sure I'll get mediacode. Thanks guys.
    my converted files are playing "fast," and sound like a chipmunk is talking. any idea why? i have the same problem when trying to stream am radio 1570 on RadioTime (to listen to Bloomberg Radio)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    my converted files are playing "fast," and sound like a chipmunk is talking. any idea why? i have the same problem when trying to stream am radio 1570 on RadioTime (to listen to Bloomberg Radio)
    haha really? I havent come across that.

Are you playing them in a device that accepts aac+?

because a normal aac program might play them like that, if its not designed for the new codec.
    that is the best avi ever! though it does distract me from reading your important info
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    haha really? I havent come across that.

Are you playing them in a device that accepts aac+?

because a normal aac program might play them like that, if its not designed for the new codec.
    Yep, I have a Palm Pre (Sprint) w/ latest OS.
  11.    #31  
    Yep, I have a Palm Pre (Sprint) w/ latest OS.
    Try playing them in another device or player that plays ACC+

Like itunes.
    Try playing them in another device or player that plays ACC+

Like itunes.
    That was the first thing I tried (even before copying the files onto the Pre). Files play just fine in iTunes...
    nice idea to share with everyone. I'm a music producer and I sometimes bounce music to lower quality from my music production software(logic pro) to save space on my phone just to listen to it, but not for listenin to different mixes of the tracks
    I was expecting this thread to mention how you could just leave all your music on a "music server" at your home... and how you could connect to it from the cloud with one of the dozen apps that allow you to stream music over the interwebz (3g, wifi, take your pick).

I don't understand the concept of "putting music on the phone" at all, really.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    There's a bug in the AAC+ audio codec that Palm uses. That's why certain AAC+ encoded in a certain why sound sped up (and why some stations listed in RadioTime sound the same way). It applies to AAC+ (AAC-HE) Mono files on the Pre only.

Relevant bug reports are:

Bug reported in 1.3.5

Bug reported in 1.4.X

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    thanks, Doc. I did indeed encode my files in mono (they are not music). Will try again in stereo!

so is that why Bloomberg Radio (AM 1570) is sped up in Radio Time? I hope this can be fixed soon. (and hope you will offer AM 1130 Bloomberg Radio soon).
    thanks.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    thanks, Doc. I did indeed encode my files in mono (they are not music). Will try again in stereo!

so is that why Bloomberg Radio (AM 1570) is sped up in Radio Time? I hope this can be fixed soon. (and hope you will offer AM 1130 Bloomberg Radio soon).
    thanks.
    Bloomberg Radio 1570 AM streams in AAC+ mono. There's nothing we can do about it. The only people that can do anything about it are Palm and they seem unwilling to get on their manufacturer to fix the problem.

Bloomberg 1130 AM is not possible right now because they stream in Windows Media Audio (WMA) which is not supported by WebOS.

We bring you basically whatever we can. But, you have to realize, we are working in a very limited environment given the limitations in WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Anything past version 9.

So...if you are using itunes to sync music you might want 8 and 9 at the same time....

OR, use MediaCoder.
    I will also make a post for the best possible quality with the smallest file size for movies.

I've been able to get my movies down to 100MB and they still look great.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Issues with AAC+ have been around as long as the Pre itself in one form or another. It's unfortunate, really. I do think the claims of false advertising and the threat of a future FTC complaint may have been a stretch, however (they have better things to do); at its extreme, had it been a core issue--say, batteries exploding or systematic bricking--it would have resulted in a recall effort. Over a specific portion of a codec? Realistically, I can't imagine it.
    You have to light a candle under their ***** sometimes to get things fixed or get an answer. And yes, I knew about the problem from a very early stage as well. Remember BroadCAST Radio? I really should update that application some day. There really are a bunch of things I'd like to see implemented in WebOS dealing with audio in general. Metadata would be a huge one so we don't have to use the old pull from html trick. WMA support would be a huge one as well and would add thousands more streams.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    The AAC+ fast (chipmunk) speed playback bug has been around for a long, long time in the Pre. It's the reason I cannot listen to my favorite local radio station via RadioTime. Extremely annoying!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast