Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    will you be adding cpu temperature support to this ap/kenel in the future? -- is there any way you can compare super prekernel to the uber kernel?

thanks so much for all of your hard work
    in my opinion this one works just fine and have no reason to change !!! An app that governs cpu temp will be out soon enough.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    in my opinion this one works just fine and have no reason to change !!! An app that governs cpu temp will be out soon enough.
    i agree -- not neccessarily looking to change i love this ap -- was just asking i feel that the way that everything is working temp is not as big an issue for me now as it was a couple of weeks ago -- just like to put every single option to use for some reason -- kind of OC really -- just cannot put this phone down -- too much fun especially with the work done by these guys
    and others like them -- between this and the mode switcher this phone is doing exactly what i want it too
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    will you be adding cpu temperature support to this ap/kenel in the future? -- is there any way you can compare super prekernel to the uber kernel?
    Rather than focus on the differences, we should come together as a community and focus on the things that are the same:

1) Both kernels are based on GPL Linux 2.6.24 code, modified firstly by Palm to support the 600MHz OMAP 3430 device in the Palm Pre, then modified by an overclocking patch back-ported by Marco (unixpsycho) from an open source 800MHz OMAP 3440 patch posted on the TI-OMAP mailing list. The actual version of the Palm kernel used may or may not vary depending on the kernel. The GPL licensing requires that the source code and build instructions be publicly available for both kernels, and that redistribution of both kernels must be unrestricted.

2) Both kernels include the userspace and ondemand CPU governors. The list of governors available is controlled by the kernel patch from (1). Other governors (such as the conservative, powersave and performance governors available in Linux 2.6.24) may or may not be available for selection depending on the kernel configuration. The functionality of each of the governors is identical for both kernels. The default governor depends on the kernel configuration, but can be overridden using the CPU scaling parameters for both kernels. Both kernels provide an identical interface for selecting the CPU governor.

3) Both kernels can run at speeds ranging from 125MHz up to 800MHz, with the same speed increments (125, 250, 500, 550, 600, 720, 800) - the list of available frequencies is controlled by the kernel patch from (1). The frequency range default value may or may not be hard-coded, but can be overridden using the CPU scaling parameters for both kernels. The behaviour of the kernel at each speed increment is identical for both kernels. Both kernels provide an identical interface for selecting the minimum, maximum, and default frequencies for each governor.

4) Both kernels run the CPU at the same voltages for each frequency - the voltage applied to the CPU VDD1 voltage rail is controlled by the kernel patch from (1). Both kernels apply a 0.07v voltage increment when going from 500MHz to 550MHz, an additional 0.08v voltage increment when going from 550MHz to 600MHz or 720MHz, and an additional 0.07v increment when going from 720MHZ to 800MHz. Neither kernel provides any user-level control of these voltage increments - they are compiled into the kernel. Therefore, the heat production and any lifetime degradation is identical for both kernels.

5) Both kernels have the same set of CPU scaling parameters available for the governors that have been compiled into each kernel - these scaling parameters are controlled by the kernel patch from (1). The available values and behaviour for these CPU scaling parameters are identical for both kernels. Both kernels provide identical interfaces for controlling these parameters.

6) When configured with the same governor selected, and the same scaling parameters applied, both kernels will operate identically (on an individual device) as far as frequency, voltage, heat production and lifetime are concerned. This is due to both kernels being based on the Linux 2.6.24 GPL code, with the Palm modifications applied, and the kernel patch from (1) applied.

7) The internal CPU temperature patch is available in source form to be compiled into both kernels. Whether or not it is compiled into each kernel depends on the kernel source code configuration at build time. The behaviour of the internal CPU temperature patch (if compiled into the kernel) will be identical for both kernels.

8) Both kernels will show different results on different individual Pre devices due to the variability of the manufacturing process and the speed binning of CPU parts and the tolerances of other parts on the PCB. That is normal for electronic devices being operated outside of the guaranteed specification limits. So you should not assume that a result on your device will be the same as the result on someone else's device - there may or may not be some global trends, but there will also always be statistical outliers.

So you can see that from the perspective of what performance characteristics, temperature and lifetime you can expect from both kernels, they are identical in every way when configured with the same governor and CPU scaling parameters.

You can find information on the differences in other threads. But I think it is important for the harmony of the community to first focus on the things that are the same.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/29/2010 at 08:24 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    this is exactly wat i needed
    Well I was running the old ipk installed version, and all was fine. I also installed UberScaler and was running at 250/800, again all was fine.

Should have left well enough alone, but wanting newest version, I went in via WebOSQI 3.1.2 and per instructions first removed the scaler app. It is gone. but I dont see where to uninstall the kernel ipk.

Now when I look at the speed, I get (see below), which indicates I am no longer running at 800.

My question is, should I go ahead and install the 2 files (small then big) for the new Super Pre Kernel app? Or is there something else I must do, to make sure the old version is gone

Thanks

root@palm-webos-device: cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 498.07
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x1
    CPU part : 0xc08
    CPU revision : 3
    Control reg : 0xc5387f
    Aux control reg : 0x42
    L1 instruction cache:
    features : read-alloc
    size : 16 KB
    assoc : 4
    line length : 64
    sets : 64
    L1 data cache:
    features : write-through write-back read-alloc
    size : 16 KB
    assoc : 4
    sets : 64
    L2 unified cache:
    features : write-through write-back read-alloc write-alloc
    size : 256 KB
    assoc : 8
    sets : 512
    Cache LoC : 2
    Cache LoU : 1
    root@palm-webos-device:
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

@ Dianehelen...

Yes, when you install the two files in that order, restart your Pre and when you run the SPK app, it will check just to make sure you are good. Then select the kernel of your choice.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    So far so good. Battery life kinda sucked yesterday (first day with super prekernel). Today seems much better out of the gate.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    @ Dianehelen...

Yes, when you install the two files in that order, restart your Pre and when you run the SPK app, it will check just to make sure you are good. Then select the kernel of your choice.
    So you feel its safe to go ahead and do that new install of 2 files, even tho I did not seem to uninstall the old version?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The GPL licensing requires that the source code and build instructions be publicly available for both kernels, and that redistribution of both kernels must be unrestricted.
    Sorry to be picky on this point but the specific requirements from the GPLv2 license as posted at GNU General Public License v2.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) are:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
    I have already had a couple of GPL requests for the code for some of my kernels, which I fulfilled in the most lazy way possible by just tarring up the relevant directory and mailing the tarball off to the interested party. As the rest of the code is available in multiple places (preware git repo, opensource.palm.com, The Linux Kernel Archives, etc) that was sufficient. This offer applies to anyone else who wants the source to any of the kernels I am working on and can't wait until I have something stable and committed to the preware repo, in order to fulfil my legal license obligations.

On a side note, in my case the build instructions were "untar this into the prcm directory and then compile as usual". The GPL makes things sound like harder work than they really are.

Cheers, Steve
    cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    So you feel its safe to go ahead and do that new install of 2 files, even tho I did not seem to uninstall the old version?
    I thought you said you removed the old kernel, hence you are running at the default speed of 498. My mistake... I just figured you would still be running at 796 if you had the old kernel still installed regardless of whether CPU scaler was installed or not.

If you didn't get it removed then you can use preware and look at installed packages. If I remember correctly the old ipk version of the kernel will show up under Linux Application where the GNU patch and Lsdiff are located.

Just select it and remove.

If in doubt, you could install the Palm recovery Kernel in Preware and it should restore everything to default.
    @pastorrich1

Uggjhh ok I acted on your post too fast., Apparantly you misread my comment about not ever seeing where to remove the old cpu patch.

So I went ahead and installed the 2 files, and the SPK app is there, but when I run it, it seems to be stuck at the DO NOT PUSH ANYTHING YET, warning??

do you think I messed up?

Should I just go ahead and go for the recovery kernel?

I Pre

@pastorrich1

Uggjhh ok I acted on your post too fast., Apparantly you misread my comment about not ever seeing where to remove the old cpu patch.

So I went ahead and installed the 2 files, and the SPK app is there, but when I run it, it seems to be stuck at the DO NOT PUSH ANYTHING YET, warning??

do you think I messed up?

Should I just go ahead and go for the recovery kernel?
    No, not yet. The SPK app is just letting you know there is already a custom kernel there. Go into preware and see if you can find the old custom kernel to remove. If it isn't there then proceed to the Palm recovery kernel.

You haven't hurt anything yet... so don't panic. LOL
    could not find anyting that looked like a kernel, so I went ahead with the recovery one..

After that, it rebooted, went back into SPK and it said, something about already having a custom kernel, and did i want to remove, i said, yes, another reboot, now SPK seems to be installing 800Mhz

Thanks for your kind and reassuring posts pastorrich1 ,

ok, its rebooting now.. , I may have recovered..

Always such an adventure with this phone, I just LOVE it hehehe

Challenge, breath holding and all

I Pre

could not find anyting that looked like a kernel, so I went ahead with the recovery one..

After that, it rebooted, went back into SPK and it said, something about already having a custom kernel, and did i want to remove, i said, yes, another reboot, now SPK seems to be installing 800Mhz

Thanks for your kind and reassuring posts pastorrich1 ,

ok, its rebooting now.. , I may have recovered..

Always such an adventure with this phone, I just LOVE it hehehe

Challenge, breath holding and all
    Ha... you make me smile and laugh. I hope everything goes well and you continue enjoying the benefits of overclocking.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I feel like an ***** asking this but I want to make sure it is correct. The instructions state to drag in the small file into WOSQI first then the large file. When I do this the large file (5MB) is on the bottom and the small file (263km) is on the bottom which is totally opposite of how it is pictured in the instructions. So small file on top or small file on bottom.
    Haven't read through all the posts, so I apologize if this is redundant:

Do you need the package manager service in order to install this from WEBOSQI? I continually get "error 4" upon attempting to install first the standalone ipks and now the SPK. I seem to remember someone mentioning that installing the package manager solved this problem.

Thanks for all the hard work!
    oh nevermind, post above has the answer
    Great! Will attempt installation once I return from work...darn you proxy server!!
    Is this install still only availble through WOSQI? I see the the package and service in Preware. Ver. 1.4.2. Is this the older package and service? Or can I install through Preware now? Thanks