Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So I installed the 800mhz kernel and CPU Ultimate Scaler. Everything went pretty flawlessly and my Pre+ pretty much flies now. I have the speed set to 800mhz and the scaling set to 500 - 800mhz. My main question is, what is the downfall of keeping it all maxed out. I love the speed and it's performing just fine. Besides shortening the lifespan of the cpu, what other things are there to look out for.

I can't believe the difference this makes!!
    The scaler is supposed to help the battery life.

Although I just installed the scaler even though I wasn't really having any battery problems and now i feel like its draining quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    The scaler is supposed to help the battery life.

Although I just installed the scaler even though I wasn't really having any battery problems and now i feel like its draining quicker.
    Did the same this morning and I feel the same way...is it draining the battery more to have to switch between them?!?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I don't have any firm science behind this, but it seems to me that after I do any large program downloads, OS updates, or otherwise significant system loads, I get about 24 hours of increased battery drain.

The same was true after the 800mhz kernel install (I haven't installed the scaler). It took about a day to settle down and keep a charge. After which, I might be imagining it, but it seems to actually hold it's charge a bit better than before the kernel upgrade.
    caj. Why don't you use 125-800? That is what I use but don't have nearly the knowledge you have about the pre. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    I don't have any firm science behind this, but it seems to me that after I do any large program downloads, OS updates, or otherwise significant system loads, I get about 24 hours of increased battery drain.

The same was true after the 800mhz kernel install (I haven't installed the scaler). It took about a day to settle down and keep a charge. After which, I might be imagining it, but it seems to actually hold it's charge a bit better than before the kernel upgrade.
    Hmmmm this is a good call perhaps this the issue cause i just installed it yesterday.

I was bummed too because my battery was just fine with just the 800 kernel installed. Lets hope it evens out.
    Yeah, I installed the scaler last night and my battery is draining faster too. But, to be fair, I didn't really read the instructions properly. I know better too. I was in a hurry last night, dealing with the kids and I wanted to get it working so bad. I knew I wouldn't really have time to take a good look at the instructions until Tues when I have some time freed up.

Looks like I might have to uninstall and wait till I have the time to actually read the instructions

I also have the quick cards patch installed, this might be an issue, I don't know. But I have to say, running all three...

IS FREAKING SWEEEEET!

It's the way the phone should be. WebOS is truly amazing with a fast processor. It really is. I never get tired of it. If Palm lasts long enough to release a next gen phone with a faster cpu, even just with WebOS 1.4.x, I am ALL IN.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 04/17/2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So no major drawbacks on having it set to 800mhz and 500-800mhz besides shortened life span and faster battery drain?? It just works so well now that I don't think I can go back. I reset it to 500mhz just to see the difference and it's night and day.

I think I'm going to have to get an extended battery but don't want to go with the 2600mah due to the incompatibility with the touchstone. May check out the 1350mah and see how that goes....I was out for a few hours today and kept checking my phone to see how the battery was doing. Surprisingly, it didn't drain as fast as I thought, but then again, I didn't do anything major with it. Just a few texts here and there. That's not a concern I should have with a phone....
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    BTW, I didn't see the new kernel at this link and I might have installed an older version. If I uninstall and reinstall this version, do I need to uninstall CPU Scaler before reinstalling this??

I installed this: com.unixpsycho.webos141_800MHzKernel.ipk

Is that the most recent version for 1.4?
    Last edited by simbany1; 04/18/2010 at 08:59 AM.
    ^ Yes.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Caj, that's the file that I used, so I'll assume that I have the latest kernel. Anything else I can do to double check on my Palm that I have the latest and greatest?

com.unixpsycho.webos141_800MHzKernel.ipk:
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?txtiqiymwo3
    where is the cpu ultimate scaler??
    and how much is it??