webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > set mobile hot spot to NON broadcasting
set mobile hot spot to NON broadcasting

Old 04/13/2010, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have the mobile hot spot patch and it works great. But was wondering if anyone knew if there was a setting or a patch that will put it in a NON broadcasting mode. I have it password protected but my thing is I just don't want anyone to know its there.

Thanks
crownanddrpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2010, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

To your question, as of right now there is no application that takes use of such a feature. If its available to be coded, I do not know.

Secondly; not to strike you down. But if someone wants to find a network (they scan for BSSID's); they do not need a ssid. AND on other open operating systems, you don't even need a ssid. In fact, all you need is a BSSID which is broadcasted without your knowlegde and nothing you can do about it.

So why fight it. WPA is strong enough for most n00b's. Its WEP you have to worry about, it can be cracked in under 5minutes without major work.
Klownicle#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: crownanddrpepper
Old 04/13/2010, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know the ssid can still be found. What I wanted to do was use the hotspot at work but didn't want anyone to know . oh well I'll just call it starbucks for now.

Thanks
crownanddrpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2010, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownanddrpepper View Post
I know the ssid can still be found. What I wanted to do was use the hotspot at work but didn't want anyone to know . oh well I'll just call it starbucks for now.

Thanks
Haha, my friend calls his' "free viruses".
Klownicle#AC is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0