Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so i just traded my droid in for a palm pre. after seeing some of the videos of how cool webos was i couldn't resist. plus the bugginess on my droid. ie gps stops working and you gotta reboot. and the alarm would just simply fail. so you wouldn't wake up for work.

so. the alarm on the pre. wheres the volume control for that? does it use the ringer volume?

im getting a touchstone. and plan to use this as my alarm clock, will the display completely power off? the backlight will interfere with my sleeping and it MUST be off.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graigsmith View Post
    so i just traded my droid in for a palm pre. after seeing some of the videos of how cool webos was i couldn't resist. plus the bugginess on my droid. ie gps stops working and you gotta reboot. and the alarm would just simply fail. so you wouldn't wake up for work.

so. the alarm on the pre. wheres the volume control for that? does it use the ringer volume?

im getting a touchstone. and plan to use this as my alarm clock, will the display completely power off? the backlight will interfere with my sleeping and it MUST be off.
    The screen will not turn off completely when it's on the touchstone. I set my Pre on a touchstone on my night stand with the clock displayed (TimePiece actually). I don't mind the light, it's a bit of a night light. Altough, it does bother some people.

BTW, welcome to WebOS. I'm sure you'll love it once you find your way around.
  3.    #3  
    ok I got another question. The no ring switch on the top, does it mute the alarm? Or does it only mute calls?

what controls the volume of the alarm?
    I bet "theres a patch for that" but in all seriousness I use the pouch that came with the phone and just lay it on top of the phone.
    I am surprised palm hasn't made an option for the screen to turn off when charging (they are probably busy doing more impt things) but the pouch stays on there fine and makes it plenty dark. Give that a shot.

Oh and welcome to WebOS and the forums
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ok I got another question. The no ring switch on the top, does it mute the alarm? Or does it only mute calls?

Ringer volume is the same as alarm volume.

If you press the power button, that same screen that you see to unlock it is what you see when it's on the touchstone, except instead of semi-see-through, it's darker. The mute switch mutes all sounds that aren't controlled with the 'music' icon volume thing. Which only works for games / music. The ringer volume you normally adjust does everything else.
  6.    #6  
    i love this thing. i just got my touchstone charger. starting to wish i had 2 of them.
    Nice...
    I actually have two touchstones and with the price cuts on the phone its easy to justify the additional purchase...fwiw I originally started with one as well.
    i love this thing. i just got my touchstone charger. starting to wish i had 2 of them.
    Wait tell you mount a TS charger in your car, then you can really appreciate it
  9.    #9  
    ok. i had charged the thing all night on the touchstone. and woke up, got to work at 8:00. as far as i remember, it had full battery. pulled the palm out at 2pm and it had like 20% battery. at 3 or 4 it shut down. is it supposed to run out that fast when it's not doing anything at all? i mean i diddn't use it all day. and even then at lunch i just checked a couple of web pages. there should have been no way this thing should have ran out of batteries. i mean i only used it for like 10 minutes all day. the previous day i did the same thing and i had at least 60% battery left when i got home. so i have no idea why today is so different.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Wait tell you mount a TS charger in your car, then you can really appreciate it
    Just ordered my 2nd one to put in my F-250 4X4 - the first sets on a little table next to my couch. I love that the phone acts as a speakerphone automatically - I can answer it still on the TouchStone with an up gesture, then go to "normal" by just picking it up. (I will NOT be keeping it by my bed unless I am on travel with it). If I were still in business, (I am now fully retired), there would be a TouchStone on my desk - it is that cool.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    ok I got another question. The no ring switch on the top, does it mute the alarm? Or does it only mute calls? Ĥ

in "clock" tap top left corner, go into preferences, and you cab chose for alarm to go off even if ringer switch set to vibrate. It's what I use!

and yes, touchstone rocks. Get a second. Welcome to WebOS. You will find a lot of passionate and helpful people here @ precentral
    ok. i had charged the thing all night on the touchstone. and woke up, got to work at 8:00. as far as i remember, it had full battery. pulled the palm out at 2pm and it had like 20% battery. at 3 or 4 it shut down. is it supposed to run out that fast when it's not doing anything at all? i mean i diddn't use it all day. and even then at lunch i just checked a couple of web pages. there should have been no way this thing should have ran out of batteries. i mean i only used it for like 10 minutes all day. the previous day i did the same thing and i had at least 60% battery left when i got home. so i have no idea why today is so different.
    the first day or two (and after a new update), the phone is syncing a lot of background data, so it kills the battery quicker...give it a day or so more, it should be much improved. Also, if you are in an area of poor service, the battery will really get killed, especially if it's trying to pull data. The roam only patch works wonders for that (if you get good roam signal and have free roaming)
    OK so I got my pre a month ago. I played with it enuf to know its great. I have a question about the conference call\call waiting thing. I had to call sprint bc my daughter had an issue with her fone and I was away so I had 611 on the line and had to conference her in. The tech told her what to to as I listened and then he said ok hang up and turn ur fone off\on and ur Dad(me) will call u back. So she does but her call stayed active on my phone in the conference. I then noticed the screen said 'Hang up all calls' and not switch or hang up just line 1 or 2. So I inquired a bit and found there is quite the confusion over whether this is a CDMA problem or a software issue. I also noticed that I had similar issues with call waiting although not all the time.

Now I asked my friend who has the HTC hero also with sprint and he does not have this issue. His calls drop off allowing him to conference another person in. He wasnt sure if it said hang up on all calls while the calls were active but it didnt get stuck when they hung up as mine does every time.

Please comment. There r many out there confused over this on different forums that I've read. I just want a definitive answer so I can let it rest in my head.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by it_tek View Post
    OK so I got my pre a month ago. I played with it enuf to know its great. I have a question about the conference call\call waiting thing. I had to call sprint bc my daughter had an issue with her fone and I was away so I had 611 on the line and had to conference her in. The tech told her what to to as I listened and then he said ok hang up and turn ur fone off\on and ur Dad(me) will call u back. So she does but her call stayed active on my phone in the conference. I then noticed the screen said 'Hang up all calls' and not switch or hang up just line 1 or 2. So I inquired a bit and found there is quite the confusion over whether this is a CDMA problem or a software issue. I also noticed that I had similar issues with call waiting although not all the time.

Now I asked my friend who has the HTC hero also with sprint and he does not have this issue. His calls drop off allowing him to conference another person in. He wasnt sure if it said hang up on all calls while the calls were active but it didnt get stuck when they hung up as mine does every time.

Please comment. There r many out there confused over this on different forums that I've read. I just want a definitive answer so I can let it rest in my head.

Thanks!
    That right there is a fine example of thread jacking
  15.    #15  
    i went ahead and disabled alot of the things that they suggested turning off to save battery.

another question. when you enable an alarm, it gives you that little alarm icon on the bottom. sometimes that icon dissapears. does that icon have to be on for the alarm to work?

if i go back into the clock applet and disable and enable the alarm then that icon appears on the bottom.

thanks all.
    Welcome.

If the alarm is on then it should work regardless of whether the alarm icon appears. I have a daily alarm and the icon does not appear at all times. It will always appear with a new alarm set. Test it yourself by setting an alarm to go off after five minutes. An alarm icon will appear. Touch the alarm icon. The alarm details will appear. Then you can swipe it away just like any other notification. You will see that the alarm still goes off.

Note: Your battery will "settle" in after a few weeks. Also let the battery die fully at least once and then occasionally but rarely do it again. This calibrates the battery so it knows what "full" is and what "empty" is. This does not extend the amount of energy the battery holds, but rather makes sure that the battery is fully charged each time your charge it. You will notice that after a couple weeks of use and after you calibrate the battery, you will have much better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by it_tek View Post

Thanks!
    The call is no longer there; it just looked like it. For instance, you would have been able to conference in another different call if you wanted to. Try it. It should work that way.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    i went ahead and disabled alot of the things that they suggested turning off to save battery.

another question. when you enable an alarm, it gives you that little alarm icon on the bottom. sometimes that icon dissapears. does that icon have to be on for the alarm to work?

if i go back into the clock applet and disable and enable the alarm then that icon appears on the bottom.

thanks all.
    re alarm: alarm is one, even if you don't see the bell, you just dismissed the notification.

re battery: tweak some things. if you don't need constant email updates, under your email account in the preferences, set it to check less frequently, that uses less battery. Wifi is controversial: different people give different advice. I think if you are moving around in and out of wifi coverage, or you leave your home/work wifi and are on the road, I think the wifi keeps looking for signal therefore eating up battery. However, if you are somewhere with low 3G signal (maybe office, home basement) and you have good wifi strength, then I think wifi on saves battery because your phone uses that to check for updates/emails/etc and that then saves battery.
  19.    #19  
    oh I had no idea I could swipe away those notifications, that's pretty cool. My battery is way better today. 86% at 4.15
    There is a Homebrew application called "Brightness Unlinked" which shuts down the display while the Pre is on the Touchstone. As it is a Homebrew app it is not available in the App Catalog, so take some time to look at the above link and get just familiar enough to install Preware on your phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast