Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Need some help, can't seem to locate the thread that discussed splicing open an aftermarket microusb cable and modding it for better compatibility for the Pre. Can anyone help? I have a few cables to play around with. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    anyone?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Yes! Exactly the info I needed. I modified a cable within 5 minutes using a little solder,shrink tubing and electrical tape. I'm using it with my callpod fueltank duo portable battery pack. Their battery pack is of great quality imo, but the connectors/adapters are fragile pieces of garbage. They replaced quite a few for me but I got fed up, so I took a Callpod usb adapter and made a metal splint around the whole adapter and used electrical tape to tightly tape it in place. This prevents the adpater from bending and ultimately breaking internally. This combined with my modded MicroUSB cable and I got 4400Mah worth of battery backup to feed my pre all day and then some!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Yes! Exactly the info I needed. I modified a cable within 5 minutes using a little solder,shrink tubing and electrical tape. I'm using it with my callpod fueltank duo portable battery pack. Their battery pack is of great quality imo, but the connectors/adapters are fragile pieces of garbage. They replaced quite a few for me but I got fed up, so I took a Callpod usb adapter and made a metal splint around the whole adapter and used electrical tape to tightly tape it in place. This prevents the adpater from bending and ultimately breaking internally. This combined with my modded MicroUSB cable and I got 4400Mah worth of battery backup to feed my pre all day and then some!
    LOL! You sound like an über-geek!
    Cool I could help.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Lol thanks. This is a big deal to me, I don't want to mess with an extended battery and trying to make is TS compatible, being on my 5th? Pre, I refuse to take off the Palm Case (it protects it well and not compatible w an extended batt), and I hate swapping closing all my apps to swap batteries and wait for it to boot up. So carrying a portable battery in my bag allows me to charge up whenever,wherever.
    please upload a pic I want to see this epic creation lol

EDIT:
    oh and why not just buy a second battery lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Lol thanks. This is a big deal to me, I don't want to mess with an extended battery and trying to make is TS compatible, being on my 5th? Pre, I refuse to take off the Palm Case (it protects it well and not compatible w an extended batt), and I hate swapping closing all my apps to swap batteries and wait for it to boot up. So carrying a portable battery in my bag allows me to charge up whenever,wherever.
    if it protects it so well why are you on your 5th pre :P
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    please upload a pic I want to see this epic creation lol

EDIT:
    oh and why not just buy a second battery lol

There's not much to see because it's covered up, but under the electrical tape on the small USB adapter is stiff pieces of flat metal (think of a finger splint, same idea). It keeps it rigid enough to prevent the wire from bending, which is what keeps breaking on these adapters. This adapter is a modified Callpod adapter.

The electrical tape on the long MicroUSB cable is where I spliced the green and white wires together. I soldered them and used shrink tubing then taped the insulation jacket shut.

As for a second battery. I have 5 of them (Asurion lets you keep them when they send replacements). It is very inconvenient to swap batteries (take case off, take TS back off, wait a few minutes for the Pre to boot, close apps that were running in background).....I commute daily with mass transit and tax my Pre with 3D games, podcasts via BT A2DP headset, etc etc. It's piece of mind, and I can play 3D games while on the charger if the battery gets low.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    if it protects it so well why are you on your 5th pre :P
    I recently started using it. My first Pre (early adoption) had a USB charging port crack that spread, then the replacements they sent were crappy except one that was beautiful only to find out later the mic was dead. They sent me a BNIB october build (I think) and its going strong, I'm afraid to use it without the case....they are fragile IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    UPDATE: it broke again. This time it broke at the small connector that connects to the Callpod charger. What a piece of you know what. I can't say I recommend this product/company to anyone. Funny, I walked into a BestBuy and noticed they were no longer selling the DUO model. Had an employee check the sku # and it said "deleted" next to the sku. Wonder why.
    I almost sold it a week ago and the deal fell through, I'm glad it did, bc I wouldn't wish this device on my worst enemy.