1.    #1  
    Does adding patches such as the the virtual keyboard and other things from preware slow down the pre? Like the loading time of apps?
    Can only speak for my observation of my Pre. I have VK, Preware and am runnign 36 patches and the speed of opening apps on my Pre is fine. I have compared my Pre side by side with my daughters stock Pre and I could not see any difference in speed.
  3.    #3  
    Oh okay great! Thanks.
    on the contrary in my experience, it really depends what your patches are...

for example, if you have the fb chat patch, it will sometimes load the messaging app slower. NOTE sometimes.

but if the pathes are like aesthetics like battery percent etc. does not really affect it...

but if you load the 800mhz patch... you will absolutely run faster

I have removed preware and doctored my pre ( in preparation for the 1.4.1 update, i am on verizon ) and after the doctor, my pre seems to be snappier.

Of course, your mileage may vary
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    on the contrary in my experience, it really depends what your patches are...

for example, if you have the fb chat patch, it will sometimes load the messaging app slower. NOTE sometimes.

but if the pathes are like aesthetics like battery percent etc. does not really affect it...

but if you load the 800mhz patch... you will absolutely run faster

I have removed preware and doctored my pre ( in preparation for the 1.4.1 update, i am on verizon ) and after the doctor, my pre seems to be snappier.

Of course, your mileage may vary
    A freshly doctored phone will almost always run faster then it was before the doctor. Just using the phone, installing apps, and other things I don't know of will slow down the phone.

Maybe someone who knows more then me can explain it better.
    Shalom
    doctoring the pre now just places the webos in it's factory state. The programs you previously installed and the files you had in the usb partition (photos, files, videos, music etc.) are all intact.

so technically removes all the patches and modifications you made with the webos and put them back in it's "virgin" state.
    I'm not sure about the applications part, I doctored my pre a week or so ago, and I had to re-download all my apps. That doctor was a 1.4.1.1, witch as you know, is the latest.
    Shalom
    the current webos doctor will erase everything on the USB partition (apps,pics,videos,music)
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    the current webos doctor will erase everything on the USB partition (apps,pics,videos,music)

ok... i doctored my pre to 1.4 and my music, pictures and files were all intact... i guess its erased in the 1.4.1 update? that seems weird

i think since 1.3.5 doctor, the usb files remained intact up until the 1.4... so its back to the old kind of doctor for 1.4.1?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rapmaster0 View Post
    Does adding patches such as the the virtual keyboard and other things from preware slow down the pre? Like the loading time of apps?
    Depends on the patch. Since most patches I have are "speed up" patches, I can't say for sure which patch of the 9 would cause a slow down and which will cause a speed up. The VK may cause one since it adds a gesture check, but such an addition would never be noticeable unless horribly, horrendously, programed (I'm talking they somehow fit a division into a Boolean flag equation horrendous).

My "Speed Up" patches are for interaction speed ups.
    The 4x4 Icons patch lets me choose from more apps per app launch menu, increasing my chances of what I need being, bamm, right there. The "Hide [insert un-deletable app name]" serve the same purpose.
    New Card per Convo, has some quirks but saves me a click when swapping between multiple conversations.
    Unhide Dev Mode, saves me from entering it into quick search.
    The rest are browser and download patches each serving its own form of speeding my life up.

So if you're looking for a "faster" experience try hitting up patches that save YOU a gesture here or there. It saves time, battery, and keeps the phone from needing to do extra work. Generally, human speed ups save more time than electronic speed ups (I realize even with the Pre this is not always the case).

I should also point out, the awesomeness that is the 800MHz patch and virtually eliminates Pre interface hindrances (slow down).
    Last edited by Honis; 04/08/2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: formatting, cred to 800
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    i have actually found increased performance and battery levels since running the mojo and preware, etc. sometimes a new app will load slow but they are just getting to know their new surroundings and speed up after the first boot, lol.

its the blasted OS upgrades that slow everything down, kill my battery, and wreak havoc on my mothership apps (filecoaster preware tether.....)

ive learned my lesson after bricking a pre (trying to remove allegedly corrupt patches and apps) when 1.4.1.1 dropped and rendered all my hacks useless...sniff...... so i'll let some other eager beavers pounce on the update and wait till the bug fixes come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycat View Post
    so i'll let some other eager beavers pounce on the update and wait till the bug fixes come out.
    Not a bad general rule for most folks...and most products.