Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Tried to install the 720, but didn't get the error message in WOSQI. The phone rebooted itself, I checked the speed and it still said 500, but when I went back to WOSQI in the Device Management, the application was listed there for the 720 Kernel. I uninstalled, phone rebooted itself, now I'm waiting for it to come back up to try again..
    I had this happen to me as well on the 800. I am currently in the middle of uninstalling/reinstalling the patch.

I had already doctored the phone prior to attempting the IPK patch this morning.
    Here's an issue I'm running into with the 720 Mhz patch.

I just doctored my phone, then I installed this patch. Immediately after the install the phone Luna reboots, weird I thought but oh well. So I go to check my CPU speed, and it's at 600. I check to make sure the patch is installed, it is. I uninstall it and the phone Luna reboots again. I checked the speed again and it's at 500. I reinstall the patch one more time to be sure, the phone completely shuts off this time, when I check the speed it's back to 600.

Did you mix up the 600Mhz patch with the 720?

Ran the Spidertest, got 17480.4ms
    Last edited by Zen00; 04/05/2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glycerine102 View Post
    I had this happen to me as well on the 800. I am currently in the middle of uninstalling/reinstalling the patch.

I had already doctored the phone prior to attempting the IPK patch this morning.
    It still has not come back up after the uninstall self-luna reset. Now it's just sitting on the palm logo and not even glowing.. I can do an orange-sym-R and it will show the round update dot instead of the palm logo and reboot, but then just comes back and sits on the palm logo not glowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Here's an issue I'm running into with the 720 Mhz patch.

I just doctored my phone, then I installed this patch. Immediately after the install the phone Luna reboots, weird I thought but oh well. So I go to check my CPU speed, and it's at 600. I check to make sure the patch is installed, it is. I uninstall it and the phone Luna reboots again. I checked the speed again and it's at 500. I reinstall the patch one more time to be sure, the phone completely shuts off this time, when I check the speed it's back to 600.

Did you mix up the 600Mhz patch with the 720?
    I'm having exactly the same issue with the 800MHz patch, with both the sh installation and ipk.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    That is what is supposed to happen...read instructions. The Power off and on loads the mod and the error is shown in procedure and jpg
    But what I'm saying is that I never got the error.. Now after uninstall, it's stuck on palm logo
    Working as smooth as it should. Thanks for all your hard work.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    I did not change name of OS1.4 sh file so it could be distinguished for uninstall
    Hmm, it must be that I already had the original in my /media/internal/downloads folder so it automatically named the duplicate with the _1.

Sorry for the confusion on an already busy morning for you.

Anything on Questions 1 or 3?
    Umm this may seem a dumb question, but is there any end result difference in HOW the 800MHz is installed?

I did it via a logged in putty session, with the .sh file , and I am just delighted with the results.

Is there any net difference in either the performance or safety in doing it that way, or uninstalling it, and re installing it via the .ipk?

I really do not have to time or desire to mess with it, if the net result is not any different.

caj? can you shed some light for me..

Thanks
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

FYI: I just did a review of these packages (only just saw them for the first time).

The only thing I noticed is that the post-install script is not idempotent, so it will fail when called from the Emergency Service Enabler utility. Not a big issue, but just something for folks writing post-install scripts to watch out for. A post-install script should be able to be run multiple times, and each time should result in the same final state irrespective of whether it has been run before or not.

BTW, we have unofficial word from a contact in Palm that he was not aware of any kernel changes from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 ... but the same contact also confirmed the expected reduction in device lifetime resulting from running the device above 600MHz ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Did you check speed on WOSQI commandline, that is where you should do it.
    Yes I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ... but the same contact also confirmed the expected reduction in device lifetime resulting from running the device above 600MHz ...

-- Rod
    I don't expect to be using this device beyond three years in the future anyways, by then the performance gains in technology will be worth the price of upgrading.
    I installed the 800MHz patch. It is showing in device management as installed but when I run cat /proc/cpuinfo , It says it is running at 600MHz. I have rebooted and no change.
    Tried it again with the 800MHz patch, same story.
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy521 View Post
    I installed the 800MHz patch. It is showing in device management as installed but when I run cat /proc/cpuinfo , It says it is running at 600MHz. I have rebooted and no change.
    Same here...except i tried the 720 ipk.
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy521 View Post
    did you turn the phone off, then back on again, then reconnect, then run the script? i think it said somewhere in the instructions that you must do that for the 720 & 800 ipks
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    did you turn the phone off, then back on again, then reconnect, then run the script? i think it said somewhere in the instructions that you must do that for the 720 & 800 ipks
    I just rebooted again with it disconnected and I am still showing 600 after running cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

It is showing that I have the 800MHz kernel patch installed in device manangement screen too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSyMe View Post
    The video comparison isn't that great, is it?

I mean, the 800MhZ is like 0.5 to 1 sec faster in opening apps. thats nearly nothing.
    Keep to stock then... Realistic...depends on individual phone and also what's installed.
    It feels faster than the apps opening in the video may show (not to mention, it's hard enough to just launch the apps on two devices simultaneously, vs actually showing them run).

As those are my two devices in the video, I'll point out that the stock Pre had roughly ~48 apps and 10 patches installed; the 800MHz Pre had ~70 apps and ~56 patches
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I Donated and then hit the thanks button. Rather than just hitting the thanks buttom, everyone using this patch should do the same.

No empty thanks, these guys are investing their time and expertise. The least we can do is help provide them with the resources they need.
    Well after several attempts...im still reporting 600 after installing 720.

started with stock 500, ipk install 720, got the error, phone restarted on own, did a full shut down once back on, checked speed in linux--600 reported.

uninstalled and reinstalled ipk with same result. Am i missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Well after several attempts...im still reporting 600 after installing 720.

started with stock 500, ipk install 720, got the error, phone restarted on own, did a full shut down once back on, checked speed in linux--600 reported.

uninstalled and reinstalled ipk with same result. Am i missing something?
    Same here. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the 720 IPK, so I uninstalled via directions, including full on/off, confirmed 500MHz, installed the 800MHz version, and after several reboots, still get 600MHZ in WOSQI command line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast