Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering, what are the consequences of tethering on sprint? Can you get in trouble? I have the Unlimited Data plan.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    It's against the terms of service, so they can cancel your account. The general consensus (what ever that really means) is that if you don't abuse it, they will look the other way.
    also, if i may add, the less people talk about it, the better for all of us. thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    also, if i may add, the less people talk about it, the better for all of us. thank you.
    I'm sure Sprint knows about it by now lol...
    no sprint doesn't know about the internet to find out about it so shhhhh
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    It's morally incorrect to tether on Sprint. But, if you want to spend eternity burning in hades (where the only phone available is made by Apple and isn't covered by an AT&T 3G signal), feel free to try it and find out for yourself what happens.....
    You would think Sprint will change on this now that Verizon offers it for free with the Pre.
    technically they can't tell if your tethering or not so have fun lol but I'm sure if you go over 4gb or something they might say something but even then it will just be an accusation with no merit. And also so you know unlimited on 3g has a 5gb limit so if you go over that then they will say something.
    I chatted online with a Sprint rep today. Brought up the fact that EVO will have tethering when it comes out in the Summer. He said that tethering would be included and there would be no additional fees to use that service.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr157 View Post
    I chatted online with a Sprint rep today. Brought up the fact that EVO will have tethering when it comes out in the Summer. He said that tethering would be included and there would be no additional fees to use that service.
    Thanks that's a useful tip..
    im pretty certain that if your tethering from your pre, and not abusing it so much it shouldnt be an issue. Since BB's has been doing this for years, as well as hero's as of late and no one has reported sprint taking action against them. Again the people i spoke with didnt abuse it, I hope this info helps.
    My wife's BlackBerry (from Sprint) has a tethering app in their catalog for $50. Why would they allow this to be in their app catalog if they didn't allow it?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I've been "unofficially" tethering with Sprint as my primary (only at home, though I used wifi sometimes at coffee shops) internet connection for four years. First with a 2G phone, then with three 3G phones, my current being the Pre. Not once have they ever said a single word to me.

Stay under 5 GB/month, and they probably won't even know you're doing it.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I look at is we're helping sprint test their network.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr157 View Post
    yep. . . thats exactly what they said about the pre

UPDATE: I just called my buddy adam from the sprint store on 53rd street in davenport iowa and he said there was no information pretaining to the EVO running tethering service, he sadi the best thing sprint has to offer in the coming months is the 4g hotspot for 100 bucks, so either you were guessing and wanted it to sound legit or that sprint rep needs to look into the phone before trying to bulk up it appeal with fake features.
    Anyone that had a pda or smartphone with sprint for a while must knows about pdanet and #777 dial modem trick. I've asked many times about pdanet to many different sprint reps and they all told me that sprint doesn't care as long as you don't upload your all dvd collection.
    I went over 10GB of data twice tethering and with my old trusty moto q i was watching tv on movies online with skyfire. from my experience, Sprint does't care about tethering as much as they do about roaming.
    On another note, my account was switched over to a premier account and i must tell you pay you bills on time because that premier thing rocks. I do NOT have to WAIT at to speak to CS at all.
    anyone have an example of what it takes to go over 5gb in a month? I've watched a movie or two, surfed the web for hours, streamed and downloaded songs. I just want to see what it takes. Do most people go over that when they have a hig speed ISP OR dial up?
    Quote Originally Posted by add309 View Post
    yep. . . thats exactly what they said about the pre

UPDATE: I just called my buddy adam from the sprint store on 53rd street in davenport iowa and he said there was no information pretaining to the EVO running tethering service, he sadi the best thing sprint has to offer in the coming months is the 4g hotspot for 100 bucks, so either you were guessing and wanted it to sound legit or that sprint rep needs to look into the phone before trying to bulk up it appeal with fake features.
    Yeah well, I just talked to adam's buddy and he said otherwise.

In othernews. You would think sprint would offer such a service for free considering what other providers are now doing. But when it comes down to it, a major feature of sprint phones (that the EVO has) is Visual Voicemail. Who dropped the ball when that came down the pipes for the Pre?

Regarding Voicemail on the EVO, theres a APP on the mainscreen of practically all the demos of the EVO so far that says "Voicemail", and its got a Tape and a Phone. I'd be hard press to say this wasn't a Voicemail application. Just my off topic 2 cents.
    shared connection. watched online videos (southparkstudios, youtube, spankwire...). Online music as i suck as a dj so i use online radio. You upload some projects download some projects and you easily go over 5gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by add309 View Post
    Your buddy, Adam, is incorrect. The EVO will definitely have a mobile hotspot feature.

Sprint - HTC EVO 4G

On the right: "Mobile hotspot feature that connects up to 8 devices".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast