Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122
    Quote Originally Posted by littledebbie View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I am very to new to my Palm Pre Plus, and I am suprised to hear so many problems people are having. The only problem that I have ever had with the phone is that I press a letter key down and hear it click as if it were pressed, but the letter will not register on the screen.

Other than that, everything works good for me at least. I do have two questions that I would like answered, if I could.

1.) Is the palm pre plus really THAT bad of a phone? I have been using it for a month now and I think it is pretty cool. I like browsing the internet, and taking pictures and stuff. I can take my calls. Is the palm pre really a bad phone and THAT negatively reviewed by people.

2.) When I first got my phone, I just used the UPDATES application on my phone to update to the newest versions. I updated to 1.4.0 just fine doing it that way, and searched for updates manually for 1.4.1 and was able to download and apply that patch as well with no problems. However, I would like to know if I should be doing something different? Do I need to "uninstall themes" or something before applying updates? If I already updated, is it too late? Should I do something over again?

Thank you again for your time!
    A lot of what you're reading in the forums is written by Pre users that have "modified" their phones (as I have) with patches or themes that enhance the WebOS operating system. i.e. When the Pre was first introduced, the center button (on the Pre - not the Pre Plus) would not blink if you missed a call, text message or email. So someone in the homebrew community wrote a "patch" to make it blink under those circumstances.

I have a Pre that has been modified with patches and homebrew apps (apps that haven't hit the Palm App catalog yet) and I have had some issues when Palm did their updates to 1.4 & 1.4.1. But a lot of what we're seeing is incompatability with patches we have installed - or the patches might not have been modified yet to work properly with the update. My two daughters both have Pre's also but theirs have not been modified and they really haven't had any trouble with updates etc.

So my phone has a lot more enhancements to the operating system that theirs does, but sometimes I pay the price. You should check into the homebrew section of Pre Central. It opens up a whole new world as to what the phone is capable of doing. There is even an application - Preware - that allows you to install other homebrew applications, patches and themes over the air without being synched to your desktop or laptop.

It's kind of a love hate relationship at times with these phones. I have been a Palm user since the first Palm Pilot so I was real excited when Palm introduced the Pre with the WebOS. The Palm community has a huge amount of incredible developers that work in their spare time to improve the WebOS. Run through the list of patches in homebrew to see some of the things that are being done with the phone.

I heard someone say that normally when you by a Smart Phone, you are pretty much stuck with the device as it is then you buy applications to use, but if you want an improved device, you need to buy the new one when it comes out. With the Pre and WebOS, they can actually improve the phone itself through over the air modifications. i.e. - the camera just took still pictures until the 1.4 update and now it is a video camera....

Hope that answers some of your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    At the Phone app.

It definitely won't solve the problem. It's something inherent to 1.4x

Use the WebOS Repair Utility
    to wipe out the changes made by your patches to various app files.

ian
    Ian - Are you still having problems with the messaging, email and phone apps dying? Mine will be fine for about a week, then same thing. People call and the phone doesn't ring and I don't receive text messages. Have you heard of any solutions to the problem?

Something that interested me in your previous post. You said those 3 apps launched on boot up. I'm not familiar how to set that up. Is it in the stock WebOs version or a patch. Or did you mean they just launch in the background so even though they're running, you don't see the cards? I use Preware and WOSQI but maybe I missed something. I'm havig problems with a couple of patches again that won't function but they're not listed so I can't uninstall. I'm going to give the repair utility a whirl. From your description, it sounds like you can use it on select patches so it won't try to repair things that aren't broken.

Willy
    It's not preware on my Pre anyways, 34 patches and no Luna restarts.
    Is there anyway i may change the theme to my pixi phone? Ive downloaded many zip files to change the theme. Are there any themes that may be applicable to both the pre and the pixi? Please email me at smurfthebuilder @ yahoo if you can help me out. Really appreciated.
    Because my computer recently broke, I have had to rely mostly on my Palm. However, today I encountered a very odd problem that is well, extremely frustrsting. A lot of my bookmarks, and typing something into Google, both result in me being redirected to Comcast.net Mobile and I am asked to log-in. I do not, and have never, ha d a comcast account and there is no way to bypass it. There is also no link for you to register, yet all the other links go back to the "Please wait while you are redirected" page and then I return to the same log-in page as before. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a way to fix it?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    try to disable wi/fi...does your problem go away? If so re enable then when it connects to comcast....go into wifi...and 'forget that network'

let me know how you make out

Quote Originally Posted by ayyalicia View Post
    Because my computer recently broke, I have had to rely mostly on my Palm. However, today I encountered a very odd problem that is well, extremely frustrsting. A lot of my bookmarks, and typing something into Google, both result in me being redirected to Comcast.net Mobile and I am asked to log-in. I do not, and have never, ha d a comcast account and there is no way to bypass it. There is also no link for you to register, yet all the other links go back to the "Please wait while you are redirected" page and then I return to the same log-in page as before. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a way to fix it?
    When editing text, for example, in a memo, then trackball left, it wipes out all of the selected text and replaces it with a funny "H" with a "^" over it.

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    No need for a log file I was able to reproduce on my own device and have submitted the issue.

Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practices.
    Still broken in 1.4.5... very disappointed.
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122