Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast
    I'm all of a sudden having problems with autosearch function. I type what I'm looking for like contacts, and it won't bring it up, and then I have to physically touch the find button on the screen and then I get google, googlemaps, wikipedia etc options.

Anyone else have this?
    When I hit the space bar after a comma, it doesn't register the space. And I know this has been mentioned before, but MY 3G KEEPS GOING OUT! Mr. Palm Tech Support in here.... QUIT IGNORING THE MAJOR BUGS TO FOCUS ON PIDDLY STUFF. What good is this phone without data? FIX IT PALM. QUIT SMOKING POT WHILE WORKING ON YOUR SOFTWARE! Rant over. Until the next update, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yes, many of us still have the issue.
    What's really happening under the covers is that the background Email
    app (the instance that actually checks email periodically and notifies
    you of incoming email etc), is dying. It just disappears. When
    you start it manually it restarts what would normally be that background
    instance, but the UI has to do something, so it shows you the first time
    use screen.

You'll probably find that about the same time you see that behavior in
    Email, that if you launch the Phone app, it will hang, until you dismiss the splash card
    and launch it again. It too has died in the background, and you won't
    receive any calls until you have launched it manually.

Same with messaging app. It dies in the background, but there's no
    startup symptom to tell you it happened. You just don't get any
    text messages until you check for them hours after they were sent.

I've sent logs to sprint rep in this thread, as requested. Hopefully
    they'll sort it out in the next update. It's been doing this ever since 1.4.
    Others who are seeing this problem, should generate logs and send them to
    Sprint. (##LOGS# .. generate quick log, and email to contactpalm@precentral.net along with a description of problem and your forum Username)

ian
    Daemon - Thanks for a very reasonable explanation to what I've been experiencing. I also agree - the problem started with the 1.4 release but the 1.4.1 didn't fix it. I haven't generated a log before though so if you could elaborate, it would be helpful. It looks like I should enter ##LOGS# but I'm not sure where I should be on the Pre to do that..Last night I missed both calls and messages. I was chatting with Palm tech support who tried to tell me it had nothing to do with the release. He told me it sounded like a network problem and I should contact Sprint. I told him if it was a network problem - then why were my wife and daughter not having the same problems at the same time? So he had me do a partial erase. From what you said - that won't solve the problem. After the reset, my apps restored and Preware showed my patches were not installed but they are still there and operating. The problem is that since they don't show up in the list, I can't uninstall or update them. I'm having problems with the multiple snooze duration patch for the calendar but it won't uninstall so I can apply the version that's recently debugged it. Any ideas?
    is anyone else starting to get really peaved that there is no follow up patch for all the bugs 1.4.0 / 1.4.1.1 introduced? Keep in mind that us Palm users are essentially paying lease each month for a device released nearly a year ago, and it ages each day they delay. We are entitled to a working device. It's equally frustating that 1.3.5 was working well for most users (an assumption, but 1.3.5 worked near perfect for me).

I've noticed the 1.4.1.1 issue thread has been deleted a few times on the palm support forum. Is it possible that palm is in denial any of these bugs exist? They certainly don't seem to be acknowleding them. If they did, they would have a sticky thread for each issue, pursing log files from affected users, and give some sort of indication they are working to resolve them. I really don't see much effort on their part, honestly.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willyiam View Post
    I haven't generated a log before though so if you could elaborate, it would be helpful. It looks like I should enter ##LOGS# but I'm not sure where I should be on the Pre to do that..
    At the Phone app.

So he had me do a partial erase. From what you
    said - that won't solve the problem.
    It definitely won't solve the problem. It's something inherent to 1.4x

After the reset, my apps restored and Preware showed my patches were not installed but they are still there and operating. The problem is that since they don't show up in the list, I can't uninstall or update them. I'm having problems with the multiple snooze duration patch for the calendar but it won't uninstall so I can apply the version that's recently debugged it. Any ideas?
    Use the WebOS Repair Utility
    to wipe out the changes made by your patches to various app files.

ian
    My phone randomly reboots both a luna restart or full reboot at least once a day. Also, my alarms app is no longer working and when it does, it doesn't use the louder more annoying ringtones to go off... my question is. I had 1.4.1 on several other devices as this is my 5th and I didn't have these problems. But the first two came with 1.4.1 on them and the last two did not. So, I did the OTA update and immediately applied all my favorite lovely patches and also immediately have been having these problems. I have investigated and seen that the phone for some reason needs a couple of days to get used to a new OS. Would it be a good idea to visit the Dr and then reinstall my patches since it has been running for a few days now? Does anyone think it will help? I read through alot of this thread but couldn't see if there was a suggestion to do this. I am going to run the repair utility and I took off the two alarm patches that I had installed to see if that helped but it didn't. Please help and is there any word on a new webOS update to fix some of these issues? I need my Alarms to work, I have three small children who go to school and they and I have been late for 3 out of the 5 days... it's very frustrating.... I am not trying to complain and I hope it doesn't come across as this but I am very frustrated since I love this phone.
    First Alltel "smartphone" HTC Touch (4 devices); then HTC Diamond (1 device); then Blackberry Pearl 8130 (1 device; the Blackberry Curve 8330 (6 devices due to becoming Verizon customer ); then.... Finally the wondrous and amazing Palm Pre and I will never go back!
    You could try the reboot-over-night patch and see if it helps. As I have found out, it's important to reboot the Pre after you installed something in Preware. I didn't have any reboots since I do that.
    Anyone getting random first letters dropped throughout the OS? In the phone app the "W" in Work is gone when multiple numbers are listed under a contact and some tweets in Twee have initial letters gone.

EDIT: Actually it's specifically capital "W"'s
    Last edited by drsnacks; 04/27/2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Same with me - I've never had a luna restart and have many patches, apps, etc.
    Hey everybody,

I'm having some trouble with this update. I initiated the update myself by choosing it from the updates menu (opposed to waiting for it to suggest I update which I've done in the past). Long story short, my pre never booted back up. It gets stuck on the start-up screen with the palm logo on the black background. The phone is unresponsive, I've removed the battery and tried starting it up again but no luck. The logo does not flash or anything so I assume it's frozen

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Dan
    Same thing happened to me last week after uninstalling a patch. Only thing I could do to fix it was use the webOS Doctor and start from scratch.
    when mine did this i tried several keyboard shortcuts and tried for several hours to get it to be recognized by the webos doctor so i could at least wipe it clean. no go. had to take it to the sprint store so they could prove to themselves that it was bricked and unaccessible by any methods. they gave me a new one.

lost a bunch of unbacked up pics n stuff but new phone is good.

if you need to get your phone replaced at least try to force usb drive mode so you can copy the phones contents to your computer first.

FORCE USB DRIVE MODE; shut down/restart phone and hold UP volume toggle button in while it restarts. just hang on, it takes a little time, and you should get the usb icon across the phone screen. i did get it to show the icon but it still wouldn't let me in so i hope you dont have the same deed problem with yours
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    I got a message that my VZW Pre Plus 1.4.1.1 update was ready, so I told it to wait to install it and immediately went to WOSQI to uninstall the 800mhz kernel. It did this and rebooted the phone...but when it returned the phone started the update! I didn't have a chance to remove all my other patches! It's still updating so I have no idea what effect this will have, but I'm not hopeful. I really hope I don't have to wipe the whole phone and start all over!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdsn10 View Post
    I've noticed the 1.4.1.1 issue thread has been deleted a few times on the palm support forum. Is it possible that palm is in denial any of these bugs exist? They certainly don't seem to be acknowleding them. If they did, they would have a sticky thread for each issue, pursing log files from affected users, and give some sort of indication they are working to resolve them. I really don't see much effort on their part, honestly.
    Having gone threw with the Treo 650 and 680, Palm does not seem to have a beta program worthy of its customers. Buggy OS's release each time. Some issues get fixed after a very long wait but many more problems surface and they are never acknowledged. I am looking into a new smartphone and thought I'd read the OS tread to see how the Pre is fairly. Not better than a nearly a year ago I see. Maybe HP will put it right but that is little comfort for those who need a fully functional smartphone now and not a alternate test phone.

There are to be many new releases from Motorola, RIM, & IPhone in the very near future. It will be interesting to see what they will contain. After all I don't want to spend days patching and looking for apps to fix or try and make it work properly. It should do that out of the gate but clearly from various thread its not. HP will clearly need some time to streamline and redirect the Webos development team if they really have a good team along with a rigorous testing lab prior to release.
    I have had my Pre Plus for about 3-4 weeks now and am loving it. I have never had anything like this happen before. Tonight I downloaded the OS update, and at first all seemed fine. I even noticed a few small improvements I think in the pdf viewer and other things. But then just now I went to unlock the screen, did the usual swipe upward of the "padlock" symbol - it swiped upward higher onto the screen and froze there! The phone would not respond to anything - holding the power button did nothing, and the screen was frozen. I eventually had to pull out the battery and reboot. Thankfully it seems okay now but that can't be a coincidence...
    Hi, apologies if this has been discussed before, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything promising.

I recently upgraded my device to 1.4.1 and now I can't play mp3s, including the Precentral podcast. They play for about 10 seconds and then it just stops. This happens with drPodder and with the standard music player. This problem even survived after doctoring my Pre.

Is anyone else seeing this or has any advice on how to fix it? I feel like I must be doing something wrong as I guess if everyone else had suddenly found they couldn't play mp3s any more after upgrading, it would be all over the forums!

I am using my Pre on O2 in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks, -Paul
    i posted about 30 minutes ago. the package you need until some feed, according to RWhitby, is fixed is "Diffstat" and you can find it in the "List of Everything" on Preware for sure. I grabbed it and I can theme again no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by willyiam View Post
    Daemon - Thanks for a very reasonable explanation to what I've been experiencing. I also agree - the problem started with the 1.4 release but the 1.4.1 didn't fix it. I haven't generated a log before though so if you could elaborate, it would be helpful. It looks like I should enter ##LOGS# but I'm not sure where I should be on the Pre to do that..Last night I missed both calls and messages. I was chatting with Palm tech support who tried to tell me it had nothing to do with the release. He told me it sounded like a network problem and I should contact Sprint. I told him if it was a network problem - then why were my wife and daughter not having the same problems at the same time? So he had me do a partial erase. From what you said - that won't solve the problem. After the reset, my apps restored and Preware showed my patches were not installed but they are still there and operating. The problem is that since they don't show up in the list, I can't uninstall or update them. I'm having problems with the multiple snooze duration patch for the calendar but it won't uninstall so I can apply the version that's recently debugged it. Any ideas?
    Ian - Are you still having problems with the messaging, email and phone apps dying? Mine will be fine for about a week, then same thing. People call and the phone doesn't ring and I don't receive text messages. Have you heard of any solutions to the problem?

Something that interested me in your previous post. You said those 3 apps launched on boot up. I'm not familiar how to set that up. Is it in the stock WebOs version or a patch. I use Preware and WOSQI but maybe I missed something. I'm havig problems with a couple of patches again that won't function but they're not listed so I can't uninstall. I'm going to give the repair utility a whirl. From your description, it sounds like you can use it on select patches so it won't try to repair things that aren't broken.

Willy
    Good afternoon everyone. I am very to new to my Palm Pre Plus, and I am suprised to hear so many problems people are having. The only problem that I have ever had with the phone is that I press a letter key down and hear it click as if it were pressed, but the letter will not register on the screen.

Other than that, everything works good for me at least. I do have two questions that I would like answered, if I could.

1.) Is the palm pre plus really THAT bad of a phone? I have been using it for a month now and I think it is pretty cool. I like browsing the internet, and taking pictures and stuff. I can take my calls. Is the palm pre really a bad phone and THAT negatively reviewed by people.

2.) When I first got my phone, I just used the UPDATES application on my phone to update to the newest versions. I updated to 1.4.0 just fine doing it that way, and searched for updates manually for 1.4.1 and was able to download and apply that patch as well with no problems. However, I would like to know if I should be doing something different? Do I need to "uninstall themes" or something before applying updates? If I already updated, is it too late? Should I do something over again?

Thank you again for your time!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littledebbie View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I am very to new to my Palm Pre Plus, and I am suprised to hear so many problems people are having....
    You're like me and probably the vast majority of Pre/Plus users--no significant problems (other than maybe with the keyboard, and my Pre Plus key operation improved greatly with 1.4.1). I never had any issue with upgrades and it basically does what I expect it to. The deal with forums like this is that many folks write about problems, so it appears as if everyone is having problems with their phones. Personally I think it's a great product and it works great for me!

You shouldn't need to do anything different than it sounds like you've done when installing updates. Unless you've installed patches, just continue using and enjoying it.