Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    I love 1.4.1 - it's worth it just to see the end of the weird random pauses!

However I seem to be getting random reboots - one yesterday and two today alone that I saw. Same pattern - lock screen not displayed when power button pressed, then a few seconds later at least a luna reboot.

No CPU-related tweaks installed.
    Same has happened to me twice since 1.4.1.1 update and both times have been after I've updated something in Preware and chosen "Later" for the luna restart. I know Rod has said this has nothing to do with Preware but I sure haven't been able to make it happen unless I do something in Preware...
    thank's guys. Its hust and the 1.4.1 works great. Thanks for NOT making Canada wait for this one. Very much happy with doing it today. I almost did not even try it but I decided too and was very surpries to see the update available to Canad.
    thanks again.
    hust!
    hust!!
    A. Hardwick 3rd
    in good ol Utah, USA on Sprint
    Update to broken Engadget app out now in App Catalog! Go update!
    Installed and working with no glitch (up to now). Go for it Bell Mobility user.
    Do we have a better estimate than "weeks" for when is Verizon planning to release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    My "Named Pages in the Launcher" patch installed with no problems (along with 18 other). My only problem child is the "SMS Tone per Contact" patch. I am getting an error when trying to update. It won't update, & it won't let me uninstall it. It just keeps showing up in Preware under "Package Updates".
    Here's the link to the SMS Tone per Contact patch:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...r-contact.html

What I (and everyone else over in that thread) had to end up doing was run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) and reinstall all our patches.

I'm not a developer, but the basic idea is that something went wonky with 1.4.1(.1) and AUPT. From what I understand, there's really no way around EPR and reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    Here's the link to the SMS Tone per Contact patch:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...r-contact.html

What I (and everyone else over in that thread) had to end up doing was run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) and reinstall all our patches.

I'm not a developer, but the basic idea is that something went wonky with 1.4.1(.1) and AUPT. From what I understand, there's really no way around EPR and reinstall.
    Actually, it's something about that patch (and other patches or manual device modifications like themes with which it conflicts).

There are many people who had from 10 to 60 patches on the device and had a flawless 1.4.1(.1) AUPT experience.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, it's something about that patch (and other patches or manual device modifications like themes with which it conflicts).

There are many people who had from 10 to 60 patches on the device and had a flawless 1.4.1(.1) AUPT experience.

-- Rod
    You're right...I phrased it wrong. My sincerest apologies.

In speaking with the author of the patch he said that sometimes the patch didn't completely remove for some reason. (I didn't ask for specifics, since I know nothing about writing code anyhow).

The point I was trying to make was that something about that patch caused AUPT to not function properly, which resulted in me doing a EPR and reinstalling my patches.

As I stated to the author of SMS Tone per Contact - ALL of my patches updated from 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 flawlessly using AUPT, but it didn't work correctly going from 1.4 to 1.4.1.1, which struck me as a little weird.

In no way was my previous post meant to be an insult on you, egaudet, or webos-internals. You all do a fabulous job, and I cannot thank you enough. I have donated before and once I get a job I will be donating again.
    Hi Rod,

I still have the same issue I had in 1.4 with the luna restarts and it only ever occurs if I've gone into Preware and updated something. For example, I just went in a bit ago and updated the latest version of preware and then turned off my screen. 5 minutes later, I go to power on my screen, nothing. Power on again, nothing. Power on again, nothing. few seconds later, boom, luna restart. I cannot make this happen at all if I don't load Preware. I know you said in 1.4 this was a Palm bug and had nothing to do with Preware but it must somehow. I can live with it cause I can't live without Preware but it is a little inconvenient..
    1.4.1 seems fast enough for me for now without the 800 patch. Mainly because battery life is better or same as 1.4.0 without the 800 patch. For me battery life is critical as I don't always have time to charge.
    I removed the 800mhz kernel and took it back to stock. Then updated to 1.4.1.1. Then immediately put the 800mhz kernel back. I just can't use the phone without it now.

I am noticing I'm not getting the "Too Many Cards" error when launching 3D games. I open and closed 6-7 3D games in a row with no problems.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    You're right...I phrased it wrong. My sincerest apologies.

In speaking with the author of the patch he said that sometimes the patch didn't completely remove for some reason. (I didn't ask for specifics, since I know nothing about writing code anyhow).

The point I was trying to make was that something about that patch caused AUPT to not function properly, which resulted in me doing a EPR and reinstalling my patches.
    Actually, in this instance, AUPT is still doing it's job perfectly. It is preventing you from making an irreversible change to the webOS files, which would otherwise eventually require manual modifications to fix.

The main job of AUPT is safety. Actually allowing you to install or remove patches is secondary to that. "First, do no harm"

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Hi Rod,

I still have the same issue I had in 1.4 with the luna restarts and it only ever occurs if I've gone into Preware and updated something. For example, I just went in a bit ago and updated the latest version of preware and then turned off my screen. 5 minutes later, I go to power on my screen, nothing. Power on again, nothing. Power on again, nothing. few seconds later, boom, luna restart. I cannot make this happen at all if I don't load Preware. I know you said in 1.4 this was a Palm bug and had nothing to do with Preware but it must somehow. I can live with it cause I can't live without Preware but it is a little inconvenient..
    People are still reporting this bug even if they don't run Preware.

Be assured that we're using GDB and other low-level debugging tools on the Palm binaries to try and find out where the problem is so that we can help Palm fix it, but as anyone who has tried to debug a segfault in a binary without the source code knows, it's not a quick or easy job.

-- Rod
    Are the people experiencing a speed increase using Pre, PrePlus or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, in this instance, AUPT is still doing it's job perfectly. It is preventing you from making an irreversible change to the webOS files, which would otherwise eventually require manual modifications to fix.

The main job of AUPT is safety. Actually allowing you to install or remove patches is secondary to that. "First, do no harm"

-- Rod
    Oh...neat. I never thought of it that way.

Like I said, I'm not a programmer by ANY means, but I certainly consider myself a "Power User" and I'm capable of learning how to do most things on my own... The way I was viewing it was that "the placeholder was there, but the file couldn't be overwritten and therefore there was a problem"

Thank you for the clarification!
    I never noticed this working before, but through the facebook beta client I CAN NOW STREAM !!!
    I have not had the "too many cards" issue since I installed 1.4.1.1. That is VERY good news...
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    1.4.1.1 installed by itself the night before last, and I have to say, my Sprint Pre feels a lot less sluggish than it did before. Looks like it's not just me, either, as others in this thread seem to have the same consensus. No CPU patches here.
    Looking for the 1.3.5 Doctor. I remain stuck with random restarts multiple times daily. Have Doctored 1.4 and 1.4.1.1 with no changes. Have completely erased and re-doctored multiple times. Phone notifies that It must restart, it does and locks in a cycle of booting with the Palm logo coming up for several minutes, fading to black, then back to logo, etc. etc. Have to pull battery with up volume, replace battery, plug in USB to puter, re-doctor, phone works after complete reload of programs, passwords, etc. for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours then forces a re-start and starts this process over. Been happening since first 1.4 update. I'm truely at a loss. Have been reading all posts for last few weeks and cannot find the answer. I keep thinking I missed the answer somewhere and start re-reading everything. (insanity: doing the same over expecting different results) Do not know what to do now. Wife says she hates to see a grown man cry. (Sprint palm pre since release, still on first phone)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast