1.    #1  
    Hi,

as german tech magazine heise stated yesterday, overclocking the Palm Pre will cause your Palm Pre CPU to die earlier.

From similar OMAP 3530 spreadsheets, they found out the following:
    In normal mode (OPP5), the CPU lasts 100.000 hours (more than 11 years permanent).
    In OPP6-mode (720 MHz) the CPU will last only 44.000 hours (more than 5 years permanent).

For OPP7-mode (800 MHz), the CPU is not intentionally specified (even if the cpu-core alone could run at 1GHz++, they say), so there is no official live-time hours number from TI.

But they (heise) expect the live-time of the CPU to decrease further. Seems logical.
    So maybe it again brings down live-time by half, so it now would be something around 2 - 2,5 years cpu-livetime at 800 MHz.

At least for me I can say: That's more than enough!!
    by then you know we would have a different a newer palm pre/plus phone. Lol
    With Sprint I'm eligible for a renewal every 12 months... so if it'll last at least that long at 800MHz then I'm happy. ha
    Last edited by Spader; 03/30/2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I agree, all i need is another year with my pre.
    That'll do me just fine.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    i didn't know phones could last 5 years... lol
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Who keeps a cell phone longer than 2 years anymore.... with the exclusion of my father and grandfather?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Well the did build them to last years ago...might need to bring back the phone in the bag.
    This is what i had two years ago, do i want one now? .... hell !!! noooooooooooooo .... This is what i have now, will i want this two years from now? hell noooooooooooooooo .............. soooooooo WHO CARES??????? if it is fried in two years and i got the most of it.
    Last edited by armepocho; 03/30/2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    by then you know we would have a different a newer palm pre/plus phone. Lol
    I will certainly have the next WebOS phone by then...
    5 years? All I need is 3 years from the day I bought it max.. I'm soon going to be on my third pre, so I highly doubt it would 5 years anyways...
    I could use it in 5 years. Although, I don't know how much the CPU will help the phone as a paperweight.

Well, maybe not so...

the lovely homwbrew community could oeobably make this an MPre3 Player & Gaming device that I can give to some less fortunate kid. Hmmmmm... Homebrewers, heres the Pres future....
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    As said here previously... "works for me". The 2yr contracts has trained me to be bored of every phone within a year and a half of purchase. Sometimes sooner if it sucks.
    I love my Pre, but I'm eligible for an upgrade in June, so I only need it to last about 2 more months.
    Who cares, as long as it lasts long enough to get through a 2 year contract, we're good (& Fast!).
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    as german tech magazine heise stated yesterday, overclocking the Palm Pre will cause your Palm Pre CPU to die earlier.

From similar OMAP 3530 spreadsheets, they found out the following:
    In normal mode (OPP5), the CPU lasts 100.000 hours (more than 11 years permanent).
    In OPP6-mode (720 MHz) the CPU will last only 44.000 hours (more than 5 years permanent).
    That bit is fact.

For OPP7-mode (800 MHz), the CPU is not intentionally specified (even if the cpu-core alone could run at 1GHz++, they say), so there is no official live-time hours number from TI.

But they (heise) expect the live-time of the CPU to decrease further. Seems logical.
    So maybe it again brings down live-time by half, so it now would be something around 2 - 2,5 years cpu-livetime at 800 MHz.
    That bit is conjecture. It's likely to be less than at 720MHz due to the 0.07v voltage increase, but no-one knows how much less it will be.

Note that any other factors like heat or other components on the board are only going to make things worse, not better - you only need one failure mechanism to trigger to get a device failure.

Also note that all these figures are manufacturer guaranteed limits. Individual devices will either meet or exceed those limits, but by how much depends on each different device that comes off the fab - that's why each person needs to make their own decision about this matter.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals