1.    #1  
    I have a plan pre (on it right now )... Can I downgrade and my phone still work?... I mean a plan with no data... I'm on sprint... They said no becuzz you need data to activat the phone... But its all ready active... I asked the lady and she kept kinda changin the subject
    i think if you leave it in airplane mode with wifi on, it should work (before you're phone gets the signal that it's not connected to the network). If not, there is always metadoctor
  3.    #3  
    air plan mode while I'm down granding?... And what's that meta thing?... Hows it work... Do I need to do it before the downgrade...sprint is tryin to say if I get rid of data then the phone won't work at all... Not even for calls
    i think i misunderstood...i thought you wanted to get rid of sprint service all together. If you still want to keep it, but go to a lower plan, the above suggestions won't work. I believe the lowest plan you have to be on is the everything data plan that is 69.99 (without discounts), if you go below that they may not let u use the phone. The other options are to flash the phone to cricket or boost mobile for cheaper plans (but no 3g). There are some threads on doing this.
    That can't be true, I keep my data turned off most of the time and us mostly the wifi when I need to use date. I still get calls no problem
    If you want to use an "advanced smartphone" (which, to Sprint, includes anything with the Samsung Instink OS, Android OS, or webOS)... you MUST pay for data. For the most part, you've gotta get the $70/mo Everything Data plan.... but there are workarounds, like the data-only plan for $30/mo or applying a corporate discount of 20-28% to the $70 ED plan.

So, basically...

- you can switch to the data-only plan and make no phone calls whatsoever.
    - you can apply a corp. discount (which now extends your contract length )
    - you can remove the Pre from your line, swap to an old Centro/Treo (or whatever) and pay $40/mo for a Talk 450 plan... add free data... add $1 SMS code for 500 texts a month... all for a grand total of $41/mo, and it'll still include data... albeit on a ridiculously ancient mobile OS. And then use the Meta-Doctor to keep your Pre functioning as a GPS device, internet radio device, 3D gaming machine, mobile wifi browser, etcetera. See link in my sig for more info on Meta-Doctor...
    Either way u are going to need some type of data plan still since the pre jumps on the Internet with out your consent, so why not just stay where you are at.
    Yeah, I can't really imagine the value of a non-connected Pre.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Sprint requires that you have an Unlimited Data plan. The cheapest one is 69.99/month. There is no way to get around this.
    If you want to use an "advanced smartphone" (which, to Sprint, includes anything with the Samsung Instink OS, Android OS, or webOS)... you MUST pay for data.
    And, as an FYI, the same goes for all of the major carriers now.

Take heart though, you're still getting a much better deal with Sprint than the other guys. If you had say an iPhone on AT&T, 69.99 would only get you 450 minutes and data, where for the same price Sprint is giving you that plus unlimited text, navigator, etc.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Yeah, I can't really imagine the value of a non-connected Pre.
    really? Ya don't see value in a video recorder 8 gig mp4 mp3 ...the games iv already downloaded it has a great led flash light... And I an use it as a wifi handheld... Wifi I lucky have..

.. I have to downgrade soon to no data... And I'm not selling my pre even with not wifi or anything the pre with no plan at all is stil great to have love the videos it takes ....
    Quote Originally Posted by TableTopFreak View Post
    .. I have to downgrade soon to no data... And I'm not selling my pre even with not wifi or anything the pre with no plan at all is stil great to have love the videos it takes ....
    No doubt.

If you want to use your Pre with no data... you could look into PagePlus w/ Unlimited Talk & Text for $40/mo. A little birdie told me that PagePlus stopped adding Palm Pres on 2/5/10... but I just talked to a dealer that said he could more than likely get it added, tho it might take a few weeks, months, whatever.

If you want to stick with Sprint... you can see my suggestion above about using a Centro w/ $40 Talk 450 & $1 texts (500 count).

Or you can find 4 other people to get webOS or Android phones w/ Sprint... and then it'll come close to $30/mo with a family plan, which obviously includes unlimited calls to ANY mobile and GPS, etcetera...

There's all kindsa options for ya, really.
  13.    #13  
    could I turn my cell radio off... While the updates happen? To trick em? .. Sorry if that was a stuipid q lol... I have wifi ate my house... So would it work at home cuzz I'll have date?
    I'm on the palm pre with bell. They said I needed a data plan to activate, but no data plan on my account and I've been using the pre flawlessly since november.

tell them you are going to leave sprint or sumtin if they don't. They always compensate.