1.    #1  
    I asked this question in the HUGE thread, but I think it got lost along the way.

I understand that you should remove this patch before updating, that makes complete sense!! But what about webOS Repair Utility? I assume it will flag certain files as not being correct, and probably some files missing, etc.

Since this is not a patch, webOS Repair Utility will not be able to safely "ignore" these changes like it does with other patches.

Can anyone confirm this or offer a solution?

I guess my "poor man's" solution would be to uninstall this, run webOS Repair Utility, then reinstall it.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm missing something. Yes, remove the patch as indicated in the first post that has the install instructions.

Where does the WebOS Repair Utility come in?
    For the record, it's not a patch. It's a script that replace files; FAR from a patch. Most accurate classification currently is that it's a "Linux App" given it's similarities to other scripts classified as such.

Anyway, WebOS Repair Utility does not scan the full device. It only scans program files and framework files.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Thanks Jason, for correcting my terminology
    I'm in localization so I'd better get it right.
    heh, it was nothing personal and I apologize if I came off harsh.

I just just keep seeing people refer to the script as a patch, which it's current state is 100% not a patch, lol.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

wait so the answer to his question is? and im assuming the webOS repair Utility is the DR?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    For the record, it's not a patch. It's a script that replace files; FAR from a patch. Most accurate classification currently is that it's a "Linux App" given it's similarities to other scripts classified as such.

Anyway, WebOS Repair Utility does not scan the full device. It only scans program files and framework files.
    You're right, I thought I tried to be careful and not use the word "patch", but upon re-reading my original post I did say it.

But, if I read what you are saying is that webOS Repair Utility does not scan the area that this "Linux App" modifies file in, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    You're right, I thought I tried to be careful and not use the word "patch", but upon re-reading my original post I did say it.

But, if I read what you are saying is that webOS Repair Utility does not scan the area that this "Linux App" modifies file in, correct?
    Correct.

If you forget to uninstall the custom kernel before an OTA update, easiest solution would be to webOSDoctor.

So i guess its safe to assume then....

If I had any speed "patch"/kernel installed (550/600/720/800) and was planning on doctoring anyway in the future, I would not need to uninstall it because the doctor resets the whole OS anyway, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    So i guess its safe to assume then....

If I had any speed "patch"/kernel installed (550/600/720/800) and was planning on doctoring anyway in the future, I would not need to uninstall it because the doctor resets the whole OS anyway, correct?
    correct

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    heh, it was nothing personal and I apologize if I came off harsh.

I just just keep seeing people refer to the script as a patch, which it's current state is 100% not a patch, lol.
    hehe. I stopped arguing that fact lonnnng time ago. people will call it what they think.

We should start calling it a doohickey thingy.
    Live free or DIE!
    awesome so we dont have to uninstall the doohicky thingy thx
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    There's a lot of incorrect terminology on this board. You just gotta roll with flow and pick your own battles. It's great to see a discussion like this handled in a mature matter.
    hmmm is it a patch then ? Or an app. Or kernel hmm tweak? What do we call it then THINGY ? Ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i like doohicky but i my self was callin it a patch.... wuddent that be the best name for it well easiest even tho we all know its technically more than just a patch