Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Live the Pre life.
    It will get there when we have time.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    it's really not hard at all to do it with QI. Instructions are simple to follow. Trust me it's worth it. My phone is blazing fast and haven't had any noticeable heating or battery life change.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    why? the install procedure takes less than 5 mins and is spelled out word for word. Its literally a matter of plugging your pre into the computer, and cut & paste.
    n00bs dont understand anything besides "...move mouse a little to the right...".
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    n00bs dont understand anything besides "...move mouse a little to the right...".
    I beg to differ, there will be support requests because they can't get their 'left' and 'right' strait.
    Shalom
    unixphsyco:

You and caj2008, and whomever else contributed, did surpass a great feat. The WebOS (rather Pre community at this point) are all greatful, for your knowledge, hard work, and sharing. However,all the n00bs comments (and the rudeness that comes along with it) that I have seen displayed in the past 24 hours isn't adding anything positive to the community.

We became a community to help each other (the experienced users, the novice, the amateur) and to help those who are new to the community, who want to move to a higher level of knowledge.

So can we let these comments to rest?
    ------------------------
    Disclaimer: I'm not saying your rude, or other contributors are rude. I appreciate your work and contributions to the community but we haven't had so many rude/n00b posts until rather recently, and I think the majority of it sparked from the recent publicity of the uses overclocking.

I also understand that no matter how many ways (or times) you tell a certain user to do something, they will miss a step and complain, ask for help, etc... but thats just life.
    ------------------------

Ok, lets go back to being the best WebOS community online..
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just curious... I've already got it installed but I was wondering... Is there going to be a preware insallable version out, or is there an ipk (I believe that's what it's called) version that can just be installed through QI without the linux command line? I'm just wondering cuz may need to use it after the 1.4.1 update and it's deemed safe...
    thats funny but ohhh so true lol
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    unixphsyco:

You and caj2008, and whomever else contributed, did surpass a great feat. The WebOS (rather Pre community at this point) are all greatful, for your knowledge, hard work, and sharing. However,all the n00bs comments (and the rudeness that comes along with it) that I have seen displayed in the past 24 hours isn't adding anything positive to the community.

We became a community to help each other (the experienced users, the novice, the amateur) and to help those who are new to the community, who want to move to a higher level of knowledge.

So can we let these comments to rest?
    -
    Um. let me clarify and be blunt.

If Jeff spent most of his time typing up tremendously huge documentation and a person decides to ignore it on purpose and ask a question that was clearly documented like "where do i get the file?" or "how do I install?", you expect this to be acceptable? At that point that person shouldnt be installing it as it will lead to nothing but trouble. And I have seen this over and over again and some actually got mad that they bricked their own phone by NOT reading directions. never mind the Pixi users getting ****y and rude about not having it for them.

I have spent all kinds of posts helping people that need help, that is obvious. I am not going to handhold someone that doesnt read directions and then trolls. How about the users that cry for help then you ask them to try something and they refuse and keep crying?
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!!!! they give me something to laugh about everyday.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    Just curious... I've already got it installed but I was wondering... Is there going to be a preware insallable version out, or is there an ipk (I believe that's what it's called) version that can just be installed through QI without the linux command line? I'm just wondering cuz may need to use it after the 1.4.1 update and it's deemed safe...
    There will be both.

But there is an inherent problem for webOS updates since it has no idea how to check for a custom kernel yet nor make sure it doesnt get updated and hose up the phone. This is all in the works by the Preware developers. A definite date cant be given yet.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There will be both.

But there is an inherent problem for webOS updates since it has no idea how to check for a custom kernel yet nor make sure it doesnt get updated and hose up the phone. This is all in the works by the Preware developers. A definite date cant be given yet.
    Awesome, thanks I was just wondering
    Unixpsycho is right, this isn't like the rest of the patches, it's over-clocking a processor.

There is a risk involved in this type of thing and if someone is incapable of following two minutes worth of instructions than it shows that it really isn't something that should be in their hands.

While Preware is nice, and it might eventually get there in a Custom Feed, it will basically allow people to bypass warnings, instructions, and responsibility. I don't know how many times people had to dr. they're phones (and got pretty upset at Palm might I add) for not reading instructions and updated their phone with patches installed.

While there is some real quality in this forum and in the developers here and at internals, there are many who have proven themselves incapable of responsibility and trust. Just look at all those immature people who freaked out because this patch wasn't out Wednesday morning, some even having the nerve to act like the good developers weren't doing their job, being lazy and unreasonable by not releasing it. Not to mention the ones who get all irate at Palm because the rumored release date for a patch was wrong.

It hasn't even been a full day and your asking for more from these developers who spent hours and hours working on a project they gave away to everyone's benefit. It just seems like you could at least say thank you, at very least.
    And to go further, an ipk release will be out eventually. Ans will be available for both WOSQI and Preware.

I send the ipk files to caj2008 and unixpsycho approximately 20 hours ago. They follow a strict testing procedure due to the nature of the custom kernel.

In truth, I doubt the testing will take long, I've been using the 800MHz ipk on my Pre all day and everything's been great

In the meantime, the detailed documention by caj2008 should be enough for everyone in the userbase this script is intended for.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I wouldn't see it for people with not getting the manual installation to work.

It's more like getting this out into the real wide and letting a lot more people taste the goodness of webOS.
    Therefore I also thought about getting this to the regulär Palm App Catalog sometimes. Do you think there is any chance?

and don't forget people like me who actually are on the move and don't have a computer with qi around... :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Therefore I also thought about getting this to the regulär Palm App Catalog sometimes. Do you think there is any chance?
    Nope, never. Palm App Catalog does not all postinst/prerm scripts.

That's the same reason Internalz, LED Torch, Preware, NetStat, wIRC, freeTether, MyTether, AutoCorrectEdit, all Patches, all Themes, etc. will never make it onto the App Catalog
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    unixpsycho is the king. Once again you made my phone worth having. Almost feels like I got an upgrade. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I'm a noob. Well, I've used WOSQI to install Preware, and from there have installed a couple patches and a few apps. But I've certainly never "send file" or "linux command line" before.

But you know what? I read the damn instructions. And I read them again, slowly. Then I read more of the thread. One word at a time, including making myself aware of the fact that there was a typo to account for, that I might have to restart novacom after the phone reboot, etc. Then I went back to the first post and read it again, even slower. Word by friggin word.

By the time I actually downloaded the new kernel I wanted, I had already installed it several times in my head. The actual install took five minutes (mostly reboot time) and went without a hitch.

Now I understand some people did as I did and still had issues. That's fine and thank goodness the developers were kind enough to go the extra mile and help these people. I think they've gone way above the call of duty being civil.

But all the ones who ask stupid questions after they've been answered twelve times already, or are in fact bold faced right in the original post, deserve what they get.

xtn
    the directions are easy to follow, great job!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast