Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Um. let me clarify and be blunt.

If Jeff spent most of his time typing up tremendously huge documentation and a person decides to ignore it on purpose and ask a question that was clearly documented like "where do i get the file?" or "how do I install?", you expect this to be acceptable? At that point that person shouldnt be installing it as it will lead to nothing but trouble. And I have seen this over and over again and some actually got mad that they bricked their own phone by NOT reading directions. never mind the Pixi users getting ****y and rude about not having it for them.

I have spent all kinds of posts helping people that need help, that is obvious. I am not going to handhold someone that doesnt read directions and then trolls. How about the users that cry for help then you ask them to try something and they refuse and keep crying?
    +1 n00b or experienced...we are all adults...so the poll says...so there is no excuse for asking questions that are clearly and carefully spelled out in black and white...a fifth grader could pull off this install! I think it should neva go in preware...if you can't install using the provided method it's over your head...and I can imagine once this things hits preware no one will read the disclaimer or instructions...be scared and do a doctor...then install one of the patches 720/800...then try and pump all the downloaded apps back to the phone and blam borked Pre's galore...the best thing about the current install method is if you manage to get it installed on ur own then 9 times outta 10 you read all the accompaning literature and know full well the risk and how to monitor.
    I'm looking forward to trying 800, but as I assume it will need to be removed for 1.4.1, and as 1.4.1 seems to be getting quite close I'm happy to wait a few days and see what happens.

Further assuming that a Preware version would handle all the removing and putting back on at a OTA update, so that's enought of a reason for me to hang on a bit longer
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I'm a noob. Well, I've used WOSQI to install Preware, and from there have installed a couple patches and a few apps. But I've certainly never "send file" or "linux command line" before.

But you know what? I read the damn instructions. And I read them again, slowly. Then I read more of the thread. One word at a time, including making myself aware of the fact that there was a typo to account for, that I might have to restart novacom after the phone reboot, etc. Then I went back to the first post and read it again, even slower. Word by friggin word.

By the time I actually downloaded the new kernel I wanted, I had already installed it several times in my head. The actual install took five minutes (mostly reboot time) and went without a hitch.

Now I understand some people did as I did and still had issues. That's fine and thank goodness the developers were kind enough to go the extra mile and help these people. I think they've gone way above the call of duty being civil.

But all the ones who ask stupid questions after they've been answered twelve times already, or are in fact bold faced right in the original post, deserve what they get.

xtn
    +1

I couldn't have said it better. People are relying too much on others to hand hold them through a process....and I am not just talking about PreCentral. It is time for some people to just work through it and figure it out, especially when all the heavy lifting has been done already. My $0.02.
    kool thread !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edoeding View Post
    why? the install procedure takes less than 5 mins and is spelled out word for word. Its literally a matter of plugging your pre into the computer, and cut & paste.
    ya know I was going to say something along the lines of "WOSQI Command Line DOES NOT support cut/copy/paste. Well before i insert foot into mouth i went back and tried it again and still no right click response but i never tried ctrl v and boom it works.

So thank you for reminding me there r other ways to get the job done!!

Wow i must of manually entered alot of text via WOSQI Command Line the old fashion way.......ya know 2 finger typing verses 2 thumb typing. Copy / Paste here i come again.LOL
    Last edited by hofs1; 03/26/2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: add a line.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    ya know I was going to say something along the lines of "WOSQI Command Line DOES NOT support cut/copy/paste. Well before i insert foot into mouth i went back and tried it again and still no right click response but i never tried ctrl v and boom it works.

So thank you for reminding me there r other ways to get the job done!!

Wow i must of manually entered alot of text via WOSQI Command Line the old fashion way.......ya know 2 finger typing verses 2 thumb typing. Copy / Paste here i come again.LOL
    Haha nice, I'm probably on the other end of that spectrum - If the shortcut key doesnt work i dont even think about right click, or edit/paste...
    Shortcut keys are so ingrained in my computing that I dont like using opera (ctrl / alt + enter dont do what they should - IE &FF) - and when I'm on my wife's macbook pro I have to hunt for that darn command key - my pinky doesnt like being left out

PS - FF address bar shortcuts
    first off - F6 higlights the address bar field - dont have to even click on it
    type "woot", Ctrl+enter fills in the www. and .com for you
    type "woot", Ctrl+alt+enter fill in the www. and .com and opens a new tab with that address
    type "woot.com", alt+enter opens a new tab with that url

PPS- short intro to Win7 shortcut keys: New Keyboard Shortcut Keys (HotKeys) in Windows 7 My Digital Life

There's TONS more - but those are the most commonly useful ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    And to go further, an ipk release will be out eventually. Ans will be available for both WOSQI and Preware.
    First off, thanks to all the awesome developers out there. You all really put the frosting on the Pre Cake.

Secondly, are you all sure you want a major change such as this included in Preware? The installation steps are simple enough and really make the end user have to try to get the installation done. In Preware, someone may say "That seems cool" and just install with a touch of a button and not really know what they are doing.

All in all, I feel that apps/patches, what ever, that make major changes to the phone, especially the base kernal, should have to be a little difficult to implement.

Again, thanks for all of the support, help, great stuff you all do. I just think we need to help keep these phones safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    You have to understand we do caare about your safety or we wouldn't have gone this trouble. Because of us a new standard of safety has been created for newbies to make there WebOS experience better. Note I asked our cpu scaling collaboratorsz such as Number1Pete to follow alpha testing protocol and he has done so. All patches of this kind will have a similar level of saferty guideline and the install method will get easier and easier over time
    You should include a "Q&A" query with multiple choice questions in order to allow the patch - hehe - that way ppl HAVE to read the instructions - So many ppl just hit the "accept" button with agreements and warnings these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Um. let me clarify and be blunt.

If Jeff spent most of his time typing up tremendously huge documentation and a person decides to ignore it on purpose and ask a question that was clearly documented like "where do i get the file?" or "how do I install?", you expect this to be acceptable? At that point that person shouldnt be installing it as it will lead to nothing but trouble. And I have seen this over and over again and some actually got mad that they bricked their own phone by NOT reading directions. never mind the Pixi users getting ****y and rude about not having it for them.

I have spent all kinds of posts helping people that need help, that is obvious. I am not going to handhold someone that doesnt read directions and then trolls. How about the users that cry for help then you ask them to try something and they refuse and keep crying?
    Do you know how many hours Marco (unixpsycho) and I spend a day helping people who cant read a simple tutorial. Everyone is smart enough, there is the lazy component and we dont appreciate your insinuations. Pick a fight on Marco and I will retaliate...Got it??
    I explicitly stated the community (including myself) are greatful for what you all have done. I simply stated the n00b comments and the rudeness that follows is not necessary. All it takes is one person to call another a n00b, to have a whole group of people unwilling to help said n00b or for another to post a negative comment directed toward said n00b.

I understand the time that goes into creating/testing/supporting developments, and that you can't help everyone. I agree the lazy users shouldn't be provided more than a single post. I was just trying to state the n00b comments aren't helping the community, and I apologize if it was taken any other way.

Lastly, please don't e-threaten me (my god its the ****ing INTERNET), thats the most immature act any user can do no matter the level of experience . No one is picking any fights.... everyone is entitled to their opinions on how to better help the community.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I just did this "tweak" with a 4yr old, 3yr old running around and playing, and the wife talking to me about her sisters. I read the instructions 3 or four times, then used the as a step by step guide (had to put the earphone on). The actual process was maybe 5 minutes (mostly reboot time).
    Noob or not, between the very detailed instructions and the youtube video (w/on screen prompts), only question(s) you should be asking here is "Why didn't I do this sooner"
    I don't know why, but I knew exactly who created this thread before I even opened it. (btw, I'm on the mobile forums, which don't show the creator lol)

If this is something you want so badly, follow the very easy instructions. Sorry it currently takes more then a few taps to get it installed.

Also, much thanks to the creators of the overclocking patch. Your hard work is greatly appreciated
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I've been a computer programmer for 30 years and I read manuals when I want to learn a new piece of software. These forums are hard to follow sometimes, when seeking help, especially when threads get 50 pages long, because there are 20 different discussions going on at the same time. It's easy to get lost. Not to mention the confusion caused by people who make like they know what they're talking about but don't.

It should be obvious that many people have different experiences with following instructions because their phones (or computer systems) contain different software which doesn't always coexist with a new app/patch being installed. Some people encounter problems that developers could not have predicted. Believe me, I know... I have been a developer of some very complicated software. As a result, the directions person A follows don't necessarily result in the same outcome as when person B follows the same instructions.

On the other hand ("different fingers" as my gal always says!) I can't defend people who are lazy and simply don't read.

I'm not taking a side. I just offer these insights that seem relevant to some of this thread. Even the saaviest computer users sometimes have problems. They're just better at solving them. thorne
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Caj, I guess you're addressing me. I read the instructions and I had problems. I'm saavy enough to have solved them with little help. I'm just saying that following instructions does not always end with the anticipated result. And sometimes for the same reason you cite in your post: "we are human." There are enough posts to prove that.
    Did you ever create a manual. I have.

All they have to read is the instructions of this thread....not the rest of the forum pages. I have a video, detailed written instructions and a jpeg tutorial-there is nothing more anyone can do than this!

We get trolled on too often and it sometimes gets to us...we are human
    Agreed
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  15.    #35  
    I never asked for it now... I just want to know if it will ever be on preware
    Live the Pre life.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I think these guys did an awesome job, not only at creating the custom kernel, patches and etc.. but making something like overclocking possible to n00bs (with some assistance here and there). I think this project has made some people take overclocking for granted. It is not an easy task, very tedious, experimental and destructive in the wrong hands. Something that possibly 95% of Pre users could not even begin to comprehend. Seeing the results of 99% of pre owners, happy with their OC'd pre.. is quite the accomplishment. Especially when you consider how easy it has been made to acquire.

Thanks!
    did you say 99 percent of pre owners are overclocking?
    I would say 99 percent of overclockers are happy,,but to say 99 percent of pre owners are overclocking is a huge stretch.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

I really have no clue on the numbers. I guess I should clarify that in my statement.. I meant or was referencing.. this audience. (Precentral).

I'm sorry I wasn't accurate. I didn't really want or expect my ramblings to be considered gospel or accountable for.

My overall point stands.

Thanks though. I appreciate the correction.
    Last edited by SiLlY; 04/01/2010 at 07:31 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12