Page 83 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3373787980818283848586878893 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2468
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra977 View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is removing the 800MHz mod rather than disabling the update? Is there something in this update that's worth going back to 500MHz for? Why not just wait for the ipk process to be released in a couple days and then do everything at once? That's my plan unless someone convinces me otherwise.
    For me, I want to let Palm do things their way and see what the update improves. And, I don't like the idea of having to wipe my phone (again) and install 40+ patches and a zillion applications (and that isn't counting all those great Dijit apps... NOT)

So, I'm taking the safe route for now. But the moment that JAS gives the word, I'm back to 800. If that doesn't happen before the weekend, I just wont be able to show it to the iPhone lovers at church - which has been so much fun at the higher speed!

You can resist 1.4.1 if that makes sense for you. For me, I'm opting for the road Palm intends.

Now, did you vote for the Pre+ at laptopmag.com yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestrider View Post
    I don't know if this has been asked/answered before but can I just do a doctor to get rid of the patch or do I have to manually uninstall it?
    It is not a patch, it is a new kernel. You can uninstall it by running the script again with the uninstall flag (see instructions on first post). You do not have to Dr. it, although that will also work.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Unless it is the same kernel in 1.4.1 you *can't* install the 800 kernel from 1.4.0, since it would be incompatible with all the modules.
    I have no inside information, but considering that as far as we know it's mostly a bugfix update, I wonder what the odds are that the kernel will be changed anyway.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    That was a great patch. Fun while it lasted! Imagine what the guys will be able to do with a 1Ghz cpu
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    So im just gonna throw this out there. Because we did this when you released the 1.3.5.1 kernel when 1.4 was out. What if we just killed the update daemon process, and then once the update came out THEN we could uninstall and update accordingly...

Plausible?
    Sure. It is perfectly reasonable to keep using the 800 kernel if you turn off (or refuse) the update to 1.4.1. If they do update the kernel, then the 1.4.0 800 kernel will NOT work. I don't know how long it will take homebrew guys to put out a new 1.4.1 800 kernel, but that would be the logical time to offer it as an ipk. Then you could uninstalled the 1.4.0 800 kernel, enable/perform the 1.4.1 upgrade, then install the 1.4.1 800 kernel ipk install. That is what I am planning to do.

I don't really see any valid reason to remove the 1.4.0 800 kernel RIGHT NOW, when there is no 1.4.0 800 ipk, and there is still no 1.4.1 upgrade ready yet.

As for people freaking out about automatic updates- mine has *never* performed an update/upgrade without asking me first. It will/should ask THREE TIMES before it does it on it's own. You should have ample opportunity to uninstall the 1.4.0 800 kernel before a forced upgrade occurs. Now, if you don't use your phone every day, I suppose you could be paranoid enough to disable updates... I am just not that paranoid right now
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have no inside information, but considering that as far as we know it's mostly a bugfix update, I wonder what the odds are that the kernel will be changed anyway.
    I was wondering the same thing. It is HIGHLY probable that the kernel will remain untouched with this minor update. But, ya never know until it happens!

That is one of the nice things about moving to an ipk- they can version test it and reuse the same ipk when safe.
    Well, no 1.4.1 update yet. Will I know when it is downloading, or only after the entire package is on my phone?

I'm worried about the laptopmag.com vote. The HTC HD2 only runs on T-Mobile... who uses T-Mobile? And yet, they have 40% of the vote. The total votes cast is about 1/3 of the turnout for the Pre+ vs Bold contest. Where are all the Pre+ voters? Still sleeping off the BlackBerry slugfest?

There is a place to vote on the right side of the PreCentral home page. We need all 12,000 that downloaded the 720 or 800 kernel to submit a vote for Pre+.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Donation sent. Thank you guys for all your hard work and time spent on this amazing patch.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Notice, after uninstalling either the 720 or 800 the script itself stays in "/var/home/root"

If/when you remove the scripts and you type "ls /var/home/root" you will probably get something like...

So is that safe and ok for the files to still be there even though they aren't installed (Referring to future OS update)? Probably wouldn't hurt if an extra step be taken by actually deleting the scripts from /var/home/root after uninstall?
    i was wondering the same thing about the files still being on the phone but not installed. how do we remove them off the phone completely?
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. It is HIGHLY probable that the kernel will remain untouched with this minor update. But, ya never know until it happens!

That is one of the nice things about moving to an ipk- they can version test it and reuse the same ipk when safe.
    Please refer to Murphy's law, because he is alive and well in the world of technology.
    Well thats odd. I uninstalled the Kernel and after two restarts im clocking in at 498 MHz. But my WebOS is at almost, if not the same speed as before. The Browser starts almost instantly, same like the cam, the phone app and the pictures...

What the hell is going on?
    Too bad I had to uninstall the 800Mhz patch
    At least I got the good ol' CPU scaling to work with the ondemand governor =.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Four questions:

What will happen if we dont uninstall the overclocking?

Once the new 1.4.1 is loaded...can we simply reinstall the overclock patch?

Everyone keeps warning that the phone will automatically update...is this true? I thought you had to click update and then it would do it over time...

Does WebOSDoc reset the overclocking?

PS - this sucks as I JUST did the whole update yesterday!
    Quote Originally Posted by godsidekurt View Post
    Four questions:

What will happen if we dont uninstall the overclocking?

Once the new 1.4.1 is loaded...can we simply reinstall the overclock patch?

Everyone keeps warning that the phone will automatically update...is this true? I thought you had to click update and then it would do it over time...

Does WebOSDoc reset the overclocking?

PS - this sucks as I JUST did the whole update yesterday!
    So you spent an entire 5 minutes to install the faster kernel, and it will take about 5 minutes to remove it. Bummer.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I have de-themed and de-800MHz'd my Pre. Must be the multiple restarts doing both one after the other because the drop down in speed doesn't seem as noticeable as the jump up in speed was. A few hours of use though and I will probably notice.
    Last edited by Cringer; 03/31/2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I think you read his post wrong. He was purely saying that he bought the Pre off of someone so he thinks he'd be ineligible for a replacement Pre. If you notice in his feed he continues posting via Twee and Tweed.

FALSE ALARM.
    Thank you sir for noticin that, I feel better now!!!
    just wanted to report an issue, unsure if it's related to the 800 patch, but my phone really started wigging out today. Was in the car, listening to music, got the temp warning (45 -- btw, with the sun, I seem to get the warning everyday that my phone is in the sunlight and running any program). Stopped the music, came inside, so I assume the temp came down. A few minutes later while I was trying to send a text, the phone just kept putting in "t's" (tttttttttt), couldn't stop it, key was not stuck, so I flipped up the txt message card to minimize, but then the launcher kept swiping up and down, up and down. Tried a orange+sym+r to reset, but wouldn't work (assume b/c of the "t"), so then did a battery pull restart. Checked temp immediately after restart and it was only 32. Phone works fine after restart. I have not yet installed or tried to install 1.41.
    Installed the kernel a few days back, just donated. Sadly I'm joining the 1.4.1 club now so about to remove it. Looking forward to the next release, keep up the good work caj2008 and unixpsycho
  19. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    My phone drained from close to 100% battery straight down to 0%. It just basically turned off, and when I tried to turn it back on I got the low battery picture. I just charged it back to full again, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be worrying about? It's the only time it's happened, I've had the patch for a couple of days.
    Thanks for actually being the only one to reply to my thread! Yeah it will only take a second to undo it...but I really dont want to if I dont absolutely have to. From what I am reading there is a chance that it wont wreck it.

I mean what is the worst case scenario? Is it something that WebOSDoc couldnt fix? Just trying to figure out my risk level here