Page 80 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2468
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why move away from one method in favor of another, instead of just let both coexist?
    just think of it this way . With the ipk file I can uninstall it from anywhere without the need for webos QI. But with the script method you have to use webos QI which is the safest way . Also with ipk it will be put into a feed that can be accessed via preware is what I'm understanding .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Life after 800 is, well slow. Cannot waite to reinstall
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    flickering may be due to scaling (see cpu scaling thread please)
    Ok, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    just think of it this way . With the ipk file I can uninstall it from anywhere without the need for webos QI. But with the script method you have to use webos QI which is the safest way . Also with ipk it will be put into a feed that can be accessed via preware is what I'm understanding .
    With the script method you can also uninstall from anywhere with Terminus.

Yeah, I understand though that it's more convenient for a large number of users, I just don't understand why the new way has to come at the expense of the old way.

Personally, I'm running completely stock nowadays, other than the 800MHz patch and MyTether, and I'd rather just do it manually with novaterm when I want to install or remove it.

No big deal though, I was just curious.
    Once we download 1.4.1 can we put the 800MHz patch back right away or do we have to wait?
    Out of curiosity, why move away from one method in favor of another, instead of just let both coexist?
    I think it's mainly that installing a ipk is marginally easier to do. And opens the possibility to uninstall on-device via Preware.

It would also make sense to do the transition with 1.4.1, when the custom kernal needs to be uninstalled anyway.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadney View Post
    Once we download 1.4.1 can we put the 800MHz patch back right away or do we have to wait?
    no, it's not 1.4.1 friendly
    You know you have written something really good when users would rather not uninstall your code in order to update to new Palm code..... after all how long will it take Caj et al. to rekernel their kernel for 1.4.1??? so Im thinki' of trying this to prevent the update till they/I are good and ready... thoughts? comments? flames?

To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Then reset your phone

When you are ready to try the update, and let the phone get it re enable it with:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

and then reset your phone.
    hey need a little assistance I'm not my computer right now but I have terminus and xterm and I run the script and it keeps saying permision denied any ideas pm me please
    With the script method you can also uninstall from anywhere with Terminus.

Yeah, I understand though that it's more convenient for a large number of users, I just don't understand why the new way has to come at the expense of the old way.

Personally, I'm running completely stock nowadays, other than the 800MHz patch and MyTether, and I'd rather just do it manually with novaterm when I want to install or remove it.

No big deal though, I was just curious.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    When 1.4 came out it didn't update itself...or did it? So, it may update itself without me allowing it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    When 1.4 came out it didn't update itself...or did it? So, it may update itself without me allowing it to.

Webos has always forced updates, but disabling the update daemon was possible almost right away. I've never wanted to do it, but I am thinking about it this time....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    How it's supposed to work is that it'll check for updates sometime within the week, and then download the update in the background (only if your battery is high enough or plugged in, and you're on EVDO or Wifi). Then, you get three opportunities to tell it to not install, and on the fourth time it'll do it automatically.

In practice, I have no idea if that's how it'll really work, because I've never been patient enough to wait that long.

If you're concerned, either disable the updates as mentioned above, or remove the overclock now and see what happens on release.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Then reset your phone
    Thank God! I'll do this until the 800mhz kernel is available for 1.4.1.
    I've removed the patch but still see 796 BogoMIPS as my speed.
    bouy that was a GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!! I can't wait until they ipk format it. by then, it should be that much more cleaner. Especially with 1.4.1 update. hopefully there will be no more flies and buggs and spiders on the webos
    Four questions:

What will happen if we dont uninstall the overclocking?

Once the new 1.4.1 is loaded...can we simply reinstall the overclock patch?

Everyone keeps warning that the phone will automatically update...is this true? I thought you had to click update and then it would do it over time...

Does WebOSDoc reset the overclocking?

PS - this sucks as I JUST did the whole update yesterday!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I have a really simple and probably stupid question.

I only had the 800mhz patch installed never did the 600 prior. to remove i just type

sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh uninstall

and that's it. Correct?

I get nervous doing the command line instructions. Just want to make sure it's right before i do it.

Thanks sorry if it this seems overly simple just like the reassurance.
    yes that should do it
    Gunny- Did you restart your phone?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok uninstalling!!!!

:-(