Page 75 of 124 FirstFirst ... 25 657071727374757677787980 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2468
    The CPU numbers at 720MHz are directly from the chip maker and I'm sure are very scientific.... everything else from that point forward is mostly guess work, but it's all we have.

People should also be aware that figures stated represent ONLY the CPU life. They do not say anything about other components of the phone. When you overclock the CPU you are putting other parts of the circuitry at risk as well. The heat from the CPU may be within tolerances for the CPU itself, but maybe nearby components burn out at a lower temp.

It's a risk you take, which is why these are offered with no guarantee and ample warning.

I am running 800MHz and loving it. I also am counting on the fact that I'm eligible for upgrade at the end of June, I pay for full insurance and I have a backup feature phone should something happen.

There is nothing wrong with speculation based on the facts as we know them, as long as they're presented as such.
    Last edited by Spader; 03/30/2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: ;-)
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    does this patch run only when something is running? Or does it run at 800 also while idle?
    anyone? I was charging my pre with the 800 overclock and it gets an alert that mmy devic is too hot. I have the temp alarm from jason that alarms at 45 deg.

just want to know if it's the touchstone or the mod... Help?

thanks
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have yet to have any temp issues, including while charging. And I have a Body Glove installed, which one would think should make the temps go higher.
    this patch was great it made everything really fast and i liked it, but i removed it because my device was at 45 degrees right away, so i just removed it so my device wouldn't fry. but im not knocking the patch, it worked very well and did what it said it would do.
    are there any EEs out there that know what the mean root cause of failure for these types of SOCs is? Is electromigration typical? If so it seems like you have enough data to solve for the MTTF using Blacks equation.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boldskateboards View Post
    this patch was great it made everything really fast and i liked it, but i removed it because my device was at 45 degrees right away, so i just removed it so my device wouldn't fry. but im not knocking the patch, it worked very well and did what it said it would do.
    I've been running this mod at 800 Mhz since its release (although I started at 720 Mhz for about 12 hours) and I am finding that the temperature is actually starting to go down. I have a Seidio Innocase and I'm sitting at around 29 degrees while on the Touchstone. When I first applied the patch, I was running closer to 40.

Is it possible that the chip is getting used to the higher speed over time and not heating up as much? I even had it running Sprint Nav for a while and it was holding at around 36 the entire time!

As a result of the temperature readings, I did run the "cat /proc/cpuinfo" command to confirm that I was at 796 and I was!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    The 720 MHz patch is perfectly stable here (the 800 wasn't), and no wonder, it is still within TI specs.
    I have been at my desk for about one hour. I had my phone on charge and was streaming Slacker Radio at the same time and watching my temperature. It never went above 33c. In addition I have a rubberized plastic snap on case applied to the phone.

I can only speak for my own situation, but the patch has been working flawlessly, with no temperature increases.

I just made a call and it went up to 34c lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    The 720 MHz patch is perfectly stable here (the 800 wasn't), and no wonder, it is still within TI specs.
    Is that 18 years mtbf at 720mhz?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Tell ya what, Palm: You stop running TV commercials showing the zippy 800MHz-like animations of the Pre, and we'll stop 'voiding our warranty' with an overclocking patch. You started with the false advertising--we're just want the device behave like it 'should' behave.

Patch is awesome. Is 1Ghz possible?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I've been running this mod at 800 Mhz since its release (although I started at 720 Mhz for about 12 hours) and I am finding that the temperature is actually starting to go down. I have a Seidio Innocase and I'm sitting at around 29 degrees while on the Touchstone. When I first applied the patch, I was running closer to 40.

Is it possible that the chip is getting used to the higher speed over time and not heating up as much? I even had it running Sprint Nav for a while and it was holding at around 36 the entire time!

As a result of the temperature readings, I did run the "cat /proc/cpuinfo" command to confirm that I was at 796 and I was!
    Someone turned off my power bar and that's why my temperature readings on the Touchstone were so low!!!! I am back to around 43 degrees on the touchstone. Still working with no flaws though....and LOVING IT!
    My Pre continually goes beyond 45 degrees when on the touchstone using both the 800mhz and 720mhz patch, even when set to scale 250 ->720 or 250 ->800.
    And no, my email is set to check manually and I'm not using facebook, twitter or anything else that would cause my pre to be active.

I'm now trying the l337tech scaler to set the cpu to default settings while on the touchstone to see if that keeps the heat to below 45. Hopefully that will work

Question:
    Since the Pre knows when it's on the Touchstone, Can a patch be written to scale the processor back while it's charging ?
    I installed the 800MHz patch a couple of days ago, and the results have been simply amazing. I want to thank everyone who worked on this.

One thing, though, is that my Pre has experienced some random power downs (three times in the last two days). Each time, I was only engaged in basic functions (textin or emailing). This hasn't happened before, and it isn't that big of a deal (I just turn it back on). Any ideas?
    got 6 email on auto, power phone,text and web user with the 800 patch all i can say is zoom zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    got 6 email on auto, power phone,text and web user with the 800 patch all i can say is zoom zoom
    BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by gc295 View Post
    One thing, though, is that my Pre has experienced some random power downs (three times in the last two days). Each time, I was only engaged in basic functions (textin or emailing). This hasn't happened before, and it isn't that big of a deal (I just turn it back on). Any ideas?
    This is weird... did it feel hot? or was it normal?

Try again uninstalling the patch for a couple of days, or try the 720Mhz one...
    So I am very pleased and impressed with the 800MhZ patch, my phone is running cool and I may be seeing a significant battery increase. However, I am no longer able to get a GPS lock. I am using google maps, and when trying to find "me" I receive a notice "Your current location is unavaliable" "We cannot determine your current location". Am I the only one with this issue? I know I was able to use this feature earlier yesterday (I installed the patch last night) and I did not install any additional patches. Does anybody have advice? I really do not want to uninstall this patch, but I am afraid I have become too reliant on google maps to live without it.

Update: When I turn off "Use Google Services" Under the Location Services Preferences I am able to get an approximate location, however that location has a half mile diameter. This has to be some sort of software issue, I am using a Sprint Palm Pre.
    Last edited by tman9476; 03/30/2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Still keeping an eye on my battery drain. I think I could have had a defective battery, because last night I got the spare I'd ordered in the mail and have been using it all day without trouble (9 AM at 100%, 4 PM at 65% with quite a bit of browsing, mail and texting, not much of anything else). Then again, it could be that a defective Pre fried my previous battery. What are the range of values you guys are getting for current (mA) and voltage (mV) according to the battery monitor app? (with the 720 MHz mod).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Is that 18 years mtbf at 720mhz?
    44,000 hours / 24 hours in a day = 1833.33 days
    1833.33 days / 365.25 = Just over 5 years