Page 61 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11 515657585960616263646566 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2468
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    800 mhz patch worked well for me, made snappier. And I had about 10% more batter life at end of work day which I found surprising. It seemed to use more battery while actively using, but less when idol. Did not seem to have a heat problem either. All in all very happy. Not sure that I will keep using it as I am nervous about long term life of Pre. Have not decided yet.
    I wish more people would post their experiences with real-world battery experiences.

And what I mean by real-world is to use the Pre no more than you would have the day before you installed the patch... instead of just keeping the screen on for 2 hours, staring at how fast everything goes!!

Guess that's harder than it sounds, huh?

But I'd expect your theory to be true. Since the screen is powered on less often, I'd expect equal or better battery life over real-world test scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    am I reading Rod's wikipedia quote correctly? It seems to say that running at 720 will cut the life in half and last about 50,000 hours (or 5.7 years). Is that correct? Now I doubt the ore would last 10 yrs normally, but if you assume it'd last 4 yrs, I think 2 yrs is totally acceptable for this speed gain.

how reliable are those estimates?
    It'll prolly take a year before reliability can be judged on any scale... AT LEAST a few months.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    We're all going to go through withdrawals when we have to uninstall this before the next webOS update.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    I need to reboot PC, but after applying patch, can't get device to connect via USB/bring up media/USB/just charge options. It does appear to be charging, however....
    This has happened to me, too. Is there a fix?

WOSQI no longer recognizes that my Pre is plugged in.

I did a speed test against my housemate's recently Doctored phone, and on some apps he actually beat me. I'm definitely not seeing a speed increase, and I can't speed test because WOSQI won't see the Pre.

Help?
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    This has happened to me, too. Is there a fix?

WOSQI no longer recognizes that my Pre is plugged in.

I did a speed test against my housemate's recently Doctored phone, and on some apps he actually beat me. I'm definitely not seeing a speed increase, and I can't speed test because WOSQI won't see the Pre.

Help?
    Reboot Pre. Reboot PC. Try again.
    Upped to 800MHz
    No problems whatsoever..
    Scrolling is incredible as is the opening of the apps..running of the apps..Hats off !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I had same issue (see my comments about that earlier in the thread.
    And also read the comments after that

Thread Update: Issue with compatibility of battery temp patch with either kernel. I have removed the link for that patch until the issue is worked out. Use battery monitor app (preware) to monitor temp for now
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Please elaborate which patch, I have the F* in device menu and the patch that gives me alerts at 45* and 50*, both by Jason. And my device is running perfect, so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just want to say there was an issue in an earlier version, but that was only out in the public for a short time and was quicky fixed.

Not a single person has mentioned current issues in the official patch release thread, except for some people, who may have been using the old version of the patch. Uninstalling then installing the current release fixed his issue.

If you encounter an issue with the patch, please post in the patch thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-warnings.html
    Last edited by mjkjr; 03/27/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    I had same issue (see my comments about that earlier in the thread.
    sorry, my post was a little long and confusing. The second time I had the problem was WITHOUT the battery temp patch.

Went back through all the comments (well last 7 or 8 pages), the only things I saw was that 1 or 2 people had some freezes. Is this what you are referring to?

The only thing that was weird about this "glitch" is that the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen would work, but the once the launcher page was up, the main touchscreen was non-responsive (but the bottom shortcuts still worked -- slowly). I had a friend who had this same problem immediately after installing the 800 patch, but he did not reset the 2nd time. Once he reset the 2nd time, all was well.

I have been running at 800 for 3 days now, this is the first non-battery temp related glitch I saw, and I understand it may not necessarily be related to the kernel.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I wish more people would post their experiences with real-world battery experiences.

And what I mean by real-world is to use the Pre no more than you would have the day before you installed the patch... instead of just keeping the screen on for 2 hours, staring at how fast everything goes!!

Guess that's harder than it sounds, huh?

But I'd expect your theory to be true. Since the screen is powered on less often, I'd expect equal or better battery life over real-world test scenarios.
    I am on my third day with the patch, and this is my first "real world" day with it as most Saturdays are. I run a youth soccer club so Saturday mornings are crazy for me, and my phone is part of the action half the time.

Took my phone of the charger at 7:30 AM, 100% battery. 8.5 hours later I am at 34%. That is with 39 phone calls (most 2 minutes long I would say), amazingly only 10 texts today, a couple emails, web browser and a .pdf file open for regular/sometimes constant viewing of scheduled games, field assignments, and other related stuff. And since I got home a bit ago more onlline use with some facebook time, reading a bunch on NewsRoom, and in and out of about 5 other apps for one reason or the other.

Honestly this seems about the same as any other Saturday, although part of me wants to say it's a little better. I was kind of surprised when I counted up the actual time since on a charger and saw it hase been 8 1/2 hours.

I am very happy with it. I could actually go along with the theory that this can help save battery in a way because when I needed to use the phone today (besides for phone calls) I am able to get "in and out" of the device faster then before.
    good job: how is funding coming along? I am still out of town, will drop my $20 within the next 48 hours
    Last edited by trim81; 03/27/2010 at 05:04 PM.
    just sent in my donation!! great work caj2008 and team for your outstanding dev work!!
    Ok I think I uninstalled the 600mhz patch via WEBOSQI. I used the cat /proc/cpuinfo to verify that Im back to 500mhz and it was. I then tried to install the 800 patch but it wont install via command line. I checked to see what file was in there by using "ls /var/home/root" and it reads:
    600MHz_OSIndependentpatch.sh
    800MHz_OS14.lnk
    Can anyone point in the right direction? Thanks
    Bottom line, what is the worst that could occur if I don't remove overclock script before next firmware update. Won't it just overwrite the kernel and the instructions?
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
    Bottom line, what is the worst that could occur if I don't remove overclock script before next firmware update. Won't it just overwrite the kernel and the instructions?
    John
    Worst case for not removing these particular kernels and scripts is a trip to the webOS Doctor using the vol-up recovery mode.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    yes, i would uninstall this patch (and all others) before an os upgrade
    won't the OS upgrade be delivered to our phones ovrrnight automagically? Ow will we know wen to uninstalll?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    just sent in my donation!! great work caj2008 and team for your outstanding dev work!!
    hopefully all 8,000 people that downloaded will send these heroes 20 bucks. This thing I amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking1 View Post
    I don't get USB options anymore. I plug in my USB and nothing happens. Do I need to re-enable something?
    Hi there, I had the same problem (the USB/Media Sync menu was not showing up on my Pre after the 800Mhz patch) and resolved it by reinstalling the drivers via PrewareInstaller:

1) Unplug the Pre from the computer
    2) Start up PrewareInstaller.jar
    3) Click the Tools-->Install Drivers
    4) Wait for the menu to go away (install completes)
    5) Re-plug your Pre and you should have the usb/media sync options on the pre again
    Last edited by oolatin79; 03/27/2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: misquoted
    In response to rustytacos

The 600 MHz patch didnt uninstall properly or it wouldnt be listed. The 800MHz patch is listed also. Uninstall the 800MHz patch as it is listed and then let let me know what you see after a ls followed by a speed check

Actually the uninstall procedure doesn't actually remove the file so it would still be in there if I am not mistaken. To remove the file I had to use the "rm" script for the 600 file.

Also the 800 file that was listed doesn't have the .sh extension, but instead the .lnk, not sure if this makes a difference...is it just a shortcut?

Correct me if I am mistaken.
    Last edited by kkumar99; 03/27/2010 at 05:11 PM.
    Sent my donation too. Thanks guys! This is an amazing patch.
    caj: is there a goal on a $$ amount you guys are looking to reach?

if so perhaps we can get a drive going..

I just want you and Uni to continue the development for future firmware releases.