Page 59 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9 495455565758596061626364 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2468
    Quote Originally Posted by VikramPune View Post
    To start with, I can only use this phone (Unlocked O2 GSM from Germany)because of the excellent work of palmdoc and others - I used their APN Modify to be able to use it with my local carrier. Obviously, the work of Rod W and Robitaille The Magnificent is also a major highlight.

Now, I would very much like to use Caj/unix's 800 MHz patch.

I have read all 64 pages of this thread.

However, I live in India, where ambient temps are often 35 - 40C. Right now, I am using the Battery Monitor App, and see temps of 31 - 34C when idle, and goes up to 38C just after Preware feeds update.

So, I am wondering, is it safe for me to try the patch? Obviously, I am looking for opinions, and would not blame anyone if anything were to go wrong. I would also use Jason's temp alert patch if I were to install the 800 MHz patch.

Would also be nice to know if anyone from hotter ambient countries has tried the patch yet?
    I was worried about the same thing. Its 38 in Delhi now, and I took the plunge and installed the 720 patch. Will watch it for a few days then go to 800. I'll let you know if there are any issues.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    So I noticed that when I go to stream videos when I'm on wifi, they load so much faster than they did before. Anyone else noticing the same thing?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Just sent $10. Wish I could donate more right now, but hopefully that will help. Thank you so much for providing such a great leap in the Pre's usability!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Have been running for a day and a half and.......................

Simply AMAZING!!!!!! If my Pre had a face on it.....she would have a GIANT SMILE on her now, as I do!!!!!!! I am sure she has a new outlook on life now that she has a supercharged brain!!!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work to all involved!

I will be donating in a couple days......just want to make sure she still is smiling then, which I am sure she will be!
    Thanks a ton! I stuck my Pre beside another unpatched device and proceeded to open the same apps between the two. The Pre running unpatched @ 500MHz was simply left in the dust!
    Last edited by zefyx; 03/27/2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Thread Update: Issue with compatibility of battery temp patch with either kernel. I have removed the link for that patch until the issue is worked out. Use battery monitor app (preware) to monitor temp for now
    Please elaborate which patch, I have the F* in device menu and the patch that gives me alerts at 45* and 50*, both by Jason. And my device is running perfect, so?
    Last edited by mjkjr; 03/27/2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I have to say, the way the Pre functions with this 800MHz patch is simply amazing... The email app flies, google maps flies, web browser flies... thanks for all your hard work guys this is simply incredible.
    What happens when a new OS model comes out, do we uninstall this first then let then update or?
    works awesome so far!
    Installed the 800mhz patch, phone rebooted itself, had to restart the Palm Novacom service. Runs really fast now, temps are hovering between 26C and 38C under heavy download load.

Awesome work! Thanks guys!
    Ok, CHECK THIS OUT!!! I installed the 800 patch yesterday around 11: 30 am central time right now i'm traveling Minneapolis to Chicago in the middle of the country forcing EV, playing Pandora, updating apps on Preware and App Catalog, surfing Precentral, I have open Jstop, Battery Monitor, 2 other web pages, writing on this thread, I have my phone teak for my tether, faster internet, 115 apps installed, 3 linux app, 4 service packages, 52 patches and the FREAKING THING IS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMPPPPP!!!!! Is like it was on amphetamines holy crap!!! It renders the web pages in secs, opens apps like nothing and every single function is working but tiwce as fast.

What did I do? I went the other way that everybody was going, I figured all this people is installing the patch and beating the s... Out theirs phones rightaway and having all this problems well i'm going to install the thing and let it sit for a while couse this dude CAJ said something about stability and stuff so I figured I better listen from the people that knows what they are doing .... THANKSS CAJ DUDE!!! I already droped some bucks for the hard work and the good advise.

Right now 9 cards open, temp 28, drain 38.18 and running like what this phone is A CHAMPPP!!! Lets go PALM!!! ARRIBA PRECENTRAL COMMUNITY!!!!!
    Well, that's odd. I'm only getting 600Mhz out of the 800Mhz patch.

I installed the 800Mhz patch via ssh and rebooted just fine.
    Was: BogoMIPS : 498.07
    Now: BogoMIPS : 597.68 (600 ?!)

I did get an error that's not listed on the installation page:
    root@palm-webos-device /var/home/root # sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh install
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    crypto/ecb.ko
    crypto/pcbc.ko
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: A lone zero block at 952
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    cp: cannot stat 'arch/arm/boot/uImage': No such file or directory
    Rebooting...
    /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh: line 47: reboot: not found
    root@palm-webos-device /var/home/root # reboot
    sh: reboot: not found
    Broadcast message from root@palm-webos-device
    (unknown) at 2:13 ...

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
    Control-Alt-Delete pressed
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Well, that's odd. I'm only getting 600Mhz out of the 800Mhz patch.

I installed the 800Mhz patch via ssh and rebooted just fine.
    Was: BogoMIPS : 498.07
    Now: BogoMIPS : 597.68 (600 ?!)

I did get an error that's not listed on the installation page:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    1) You are suppose to install it via console not via ssh. you are missing PATH assignments.
    2) while ssh works cuz I use it, you have to have a sane root environment.

Your phone might be unstable now depending what *might* have been installed and what didnt get updated.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    1) You are suppose to install it via console not via ssh. you are missing PATH assignments.
    2) while ssh works cuz I use it, you have to have a sane root environment.

Your phone might be unstable now depending what *might* have been installed and what didnt get updated.
    Here's my theory on why people are getting 600MHz instead of the appropriate speed:

http://forums.precentral.net/2336785-post845.html
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    This mod is PRICELESS! Jon Rubenstein, have you overclocked your Pre yet? This is how WebOS should have been running from day one! And I LOVE that the Pre community is getting some buzz on Engadget!

Thanks guys for bringing the single greatest advancement in this phone to-date. It feels like I've just upgraded my hardware....AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Thread Update: Issue with compatibility of battery temp patch with either kernel. I have removed the link for that patch until the issue is worked out. Use battery monitor app (preware) to monitor temp for now
    Just want to say there was an issue in an earlier version, but that was only out in the public for a short time and was quicky fixed.

Not a single person has mentioned current issues in the official patch release thread, except for one people, who may have been using the old version of the patch. Uninstalling then installing the current release fixed his issue.

If you encounter an issue with the patch, please post in the patch thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-warnings.html
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Day 2 of my experience with the 800 mhz patch.
    After my first install, I was having an issue with heat and the home button was lighting up for no reason. I uninstalled and gave my Pre a half a day to settle down, then tried it again. Since the 2nd install all has been flawless.
    Other than a small hit in battery drain, the experience has been amazing. If Palm had delivered this kind of performance out of the box, they would not be in the mess they're in at present.
    In all honesty, I was seriously considering a switch to the new Evo or N1, as I was just not happy and disgusted with the Pre's performance and with Palm in general. But, seeing this kind of performance on the Pre has definitely rejuvenated my love for WebOS.
    The devs of this patch have saved Palm from losing me to another platform and I fully expect that I'm not the only one.
    Great job guys, keep up the good work. You've made the Pre look good!
    The Saint
    works great....thanxs everybody
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    What happens when a new OS model comes out, do we uninstall this first then let then update or?
    yes, i would uninstall this patch (and all others) before an os upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Here's my theory on why people are getting 600MHz instead of the appropriate speed:

http://forums.precentral.net/2336785-post845.html
    No, Darknight's install was bad. Its obvious from all the errors.
    Live free or DIE!