Page 58 of 124 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2468
    Ok guys; I finally managed to download the patch - I had to go through 3rd PC system (literally) to finally get it working and download..

1o mins after the rebooting by luna restart, restarting, and then hard restart (I know it's unnecessary but I remember reading few posts claiming that it got better after few restarts); the speed is somewhat not really noticeable, so far.. Although I'm able to multitasking better than before.. The browser appears to be little faster.. I'm on battery monitor app now, and it does not look good at all.. DPH is right at around 16% although it's been decreasing steadily since I turned the app on (at the beginning, it was 30's but it decreased since).. And the temperature is at around 28..

I'm going to keep playing around with it and see how it goes.. Will come back tomorrow with the updated feedbacks..
    Quote Originally Posted by messiah143 View Post
    I'm having problems installing the WebOS patch that was suggested. I did everything I possibly can. I went to the Linux commandline in WebOs Quick Install and put the command and it comes with an error saying sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh install
    sh: can't open /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh

I wish this was available for Preware. Some people just don't have the patience for all of this. Can somebody help me with this.

1. make sure you have the most recent version of webos QI. I didnt and was causing some problems

2. Check step II-6. What you are seeing is an error you will usually get if you have not moved the file onto the pre before you run the install command. Step 6 is not spelled out real well on the first page if you have never done this before. You need to go to the tools dropdown in QI click on the send file tab. browse (pres the "..." button) to find the file that you should have already downloaded (step I) onto your computer and then send it to the destination set out in Step 6 (/var/home/root). AFTER you have moved the patch to your pre, then run the install command.
    Last edited by midmofan; 03/27/2010 at 01:21 AM.
    Easy, effective, quick, amazing.
    So fast, beautiful scroll, speedy 3D games, better browser. Thank you unix, caj.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    having some trouble. Sorry, i am new to all this. But i keep getting an error 5 message saying reply failed to open. I keep reviewing all the steps don't seem to be missing any. When i fat fingered /vad/home/root it said it transferred but no luck with var. please help want this installed.
    caj2008 and the rest of the gang you have out done you're selves!!! this is great and amazing!!! just when I thought I had my pre maxed out the way I want it (w/patches and all ) you go and drop this bomb of a feat. not only does it speed up the pre but makes it that much more interesting. pushed it farther than I thought possible. ( I thought 600mhz was max ) great work.all my apps launch quicker and run silky smooth! Goes to show what a dedicated community like the one here @ precentral can squeeze out of a device they fell in love with. and all with in a year of its release. thanks guys heres to all of you who make the pre better!!! CHEERS!!!

now wheres that donate button???

oh yeah I almost forgot.... it was easy as 1,2,PRE
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    OMAP3440 which is a 800Mhz CPU
    Wow. Srsly?

I definitely remember hearing 3430 last year. And 3430 was supposed to be the chip inside the 3Gs and Droid. It even says the Pre has a 3430 on that OMAP Wikipedia page: "The Palm Pre, the Open Pandora and Motorola Droid also use an OMAP processor (the OMAP3430)."

So have manufacturer's been slipping in new chips or what?

EDIT: Nevermind... re-read rwhitby's post, and it looks like the kernel is written for 3440 specs, which makes a ton of sense.
    BTW a great way to see speed differences is to run the "FYZIX" app.

when it first came out like 8 months ago I used it and it showed me how much the processor was lacking. Which was a downer but I checked it with every update and patch (smartflex,scaling,600mhz,etc) and noticed slight improvements. Now with 800Mhz , I see a significant difference. Thanks again.
    Thank you so much for creating these patches. It definitely enhances the Pre big time. I haven't had any problems with the 800MHz patch, battery life was better than I expected. When you hear overclocking it's usually a big trade off to battery life.

It seems like enabling blink notifications without the patch had faster battery drain than my Pre with the 800MHz patch installed, and blink notifications turned off.

This is what webOS is supposed to feel like.

Thanks again ti everyone who worked on this!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Wow. Srsly?

I definitely remember hearing 3430 last year. And 3430 was supposed to be the chip inside the 3Gs and Droid. It even says the Pre has a 3430 on that OMAP Wikipedia page: "The Palm Pre, the Open Pandora and Motorola Droid also use an OMAP processor (the OMAP3430)."

So have manufacturer's been slipping in new chips or what?
    The Pre has the 600MHz 3430. The 3440 is a different 800MHz chip in the OMAP family which is not in the Pre.

-- Rod
    Soooooo.....

I installed the 800 patch yesterday (I had the 600 installed before that). Everything looked great, speed was incredible. This morning, I installed the patch to warn if the temp got too hot. I thought everything was great.

So a few hours after I had installed the patch I started having problems. My phone became INCREDIBLY LAGGY, to the point where it has become unusable. I get a "Sorry, too many cards" error, and I can't even tap OK. The phone wont respond. I can't even reboot when I hold down the power button. The only way I have been able to reboot since about 10:00 this morning was to take the battery out.

I uninstalled the 800 kernel (at about 4:00 pm pacific time), and was still having all the same problems. Phone is snappy and responsive for 30-60 minutes, then slow down to the point where it doesn't respond to anything. A few minutes ago, I installed the 720 kernel, thinking that might work. NOT! I am still having the problem.

I ran EPR with the latest version of WOSQI and none of my patches were removed. When I go to device management to see what is installed, it shows no tweaks. But my menu still has 4 icons, my battery is still displayed as percentage...??

Should I just use the doctor and send this baby back to factory specs? Anybody else having these kinds of issues?

I have the 720 installed now and I just had to pull the battery out and reboot. So its snappy right now....who knows for how long?
    Quote Originally Posted by calvintlamb View Post
    Soooooo.....

I installed the 800 patch yesterday (I had the 600 installed before that). Everything looked great, speed was incredible. This morning, I installed the patch to warn if the temp got too hot. I thought everything was great.
    This could very well be the problem. There was a problem with the initial patch, and it had a successor in just a couple hours.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-warnings.html
    To start with, I can only use this phone (Unlocked O2 GSM from Germany)because of the excellent work of palmdoc and others - I used their APN Modify to be able to use it with my local carrier. Obviously, the work of Rod W and Robitaille The Magnificent is also a major highlight.

Now, I would very much like to use Caj/unix's 800 MHz patch.

I have read all 64 pages of this thread.

However, I live in India, where ambient temps are often 35 - 40C. Right now, I am using the Battery Monitor App, and see temps of 31 - 34C when idle, and goes up to 38C just after Preware feeds update.

So, I am wondering, is it safe for me to try the patch? Obviously, I am looking for opinions, and would not blame anyone if anything were to go wrong. I would also use Jason's temp alert patch if I were to install the 800 MHz patch.

Would also be nice to know if anyone from hotter ambient countries has tried the patch yet?
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by calvintlamb View Post
    Soooooo.....

So a few hours after I had installed the patch I started having problems. My phone became INCREDIBLY LAGGY, to the point where it has become unusable. I get a "Sorry, too many cards" error, and I can't even tap OK. The phone wont respond. I can't even reboot when I hold down the power button. The only way I have been able to reboot since about 10:00 this morning was to take the battery out.

I uninstalled the 800 kernel (at about 4:00 pm pacific time), and was still having all the same problems. Phone is snappy and responsive for 30-60 minutes, then slow down to the point where it doesn't respond to anything. A few minutes ago, I installed the 720 kernel, thinking that might work. NOT! I am still having the problem.

I ran EPR with the latest version of WOSQI and none of my patches were removed. When I go to device management to see what is installed, it shows no tweaks. But my menu still has 4 icons, my battery is still displayed as percentage...??

Should I just use the doctor and send this baby back to factory specs? Anybody else having these kinds of issues?

I have the 720 installed now and I just had to pull the battery out and reboot. So its snappy right now....who knows for how long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    All is fixed
    Updated Temp Monitor patch here
    There's the new patch, uninstall the recent one with Quick Install, and install the one provided above in my quoted post.

As stated my Jason himself, the recent patch was checking for the temp every millisecond instead of every 5 mins which caused the phone to act supppperrr laggy.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Sorry if already posted! I have a weird thing that seems to have happened after installing the 800mhz patch. I have a 100% stock Pre besides this patch by the way! But anyways I noticed when I click the battery drag down on upper right hand corner. Where it normally shows the month date and time it only shows Sat for Saturday. It does not show it being the 27th or anything else. Anyone else having this problem? I find this very strange. Do I have to turn back off developer mode now that I am done installing the patch to fix this maybe? I am a noob sorry but I wont touch anything til I get a answer out of you guys!
    you guys are awesome!! this is great!

video installation guide was perfect!

had one glitch didin't install 1st time for some strange reason but entered the /var/ command a second time it it all went smooth!!

once again many thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    Sorry if already posted! I have a weird thing that seems to have happened after installing the 800mhz patch. I have a 100% stock Pre besides this patch by the way! But anyways I noticed when I click the battery drag down on upper right hand corner. Where it normally shows the month date and time it only shows Sat for Saturday. It does not show it being the 27th or anything else. Anyone else having this problem? I find this very strange. Do I have to turn back off developer mode now that I am done installing the patch to fix this maybe? I am a noob sorry but I wont touch anything til I get a answer out of you guys!
    first try unistalling the patch and see if that's even the problem. And no you don't have to turn dev mode off after ur done you can leave it on, doesn't matter.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    All night long on the Touchstone and only 39C. No overheating problems here
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Thanks for the patch! I'm not that brave so I'm sticking with the 720 one. The Pre is much more responsive and it runs cool - BatteryMonitor reports it at 27 - 33 most times, 37 when playing Need for Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Jason, that would be more than a fantastic idea!
    +1
    Interesting.

Mine (800 MHz) shows 34C after sitting on the Touchstone all night long (2 mornings in a row, same result), while my wife's unmodified Pre shows 33C.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    All night long on the Touchstone and only 39C. No overheating problems here
    Uh oh... Looks like we need to start reporting the ambient temperature in our homes and hometowns to make sure we understand any deviation!!