171 Global Posts
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    take it to 1GHz!!! :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Alt View Post
    yeah, and I re installed the drivers...

no go
    As Jason reminded us before, go to start, run, cmd, "services.msc", then look for Palm Novacom, right click, hit restart...

I'm not seeing a profound change in speed, i installed 800...I tried the Sun Spider Java test which totaled 608.02ms...that means what exactly? What are other data direct implementations so I can see the numbers I want...speedy numbers!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    take it to 1GHz!!! :-p
    nope !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporsphere View Post
    I followed the directions perfectly to install the 800MHz patch and when my phone automatically rebooted it arrived at the error message giving me this link: go to palm.com/rom

So I basically had to webOSDoctor my phone. Now when I use webOS Quick Install it won't let me redownload the Package Manager Service nor will it let me redownload Preware. It keeps giving me this error:

ERROR:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Palm,Inc\Install\org.webosinternals.ipkgservice_0.9.44_all.ipk (The system cannot find the path specified)

I honestly can't figure out a way around this. And I'm sort of nervous to try and go to 800MHz if my phone's going to just mess up again. Any help will do. Thanks a lot.
    try going to the first pagein the directions for loading preware and clicking on the link to check java is the right version
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    As Jason reminded us before, go to start, run, cmd, "services.msc", then look for Palm Novacom, right click, hit restart...

I'm not seeing a profound change in speed, i installed 800...I tried the Sun Spider Java test which totaled 608.02ms...that means what exactly? What are other data direct implementations so I can see the numbers I want...speedy numbers!!!
    this is from first page !!!

III. Palm Pre CPU/BUS Performance Tests-500/600/720/800 MHz (new section): Two different kinds of benchmarks; Javascript performance and raw CPU bus throughput. Both measure and scale to the CPU clock speed. The Javascript test is the same tests used in iPhone, Android, and Pre comparisons on the Internet. The SunSpider test is a JavaScript benchmark. This benchmark tests the core JavaScript language only, not the DOM or other browser APIs. It is designed to compare different versions of the same browser, and different browsers to each other.

These results (not all shown) show that the Phone is indeed running fasterand past 800 Mhz the phone cant feed IO any faster to the CPU.

SunSpider test (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...nspider.html):
    (3 tests each and took median result. lower is better)

500 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 23695.6ms

600 scalable OS1.3.5.1 (w/ optimized kernel): 20139.4ms

600 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 20062.6ms

600 static (OS1.3.5.1non-optimized kernel): 20228.4ms

*720 static (OS1.3.5.1 non-optimized kernel): 16680.2ms*

*720 static (OS1.4.0 non-optimized kernel): 15050.4ms*

**800 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 14936.6ms**

**800 static (OS1.4.0 w/ optimized kernel): 13607.2ms**

Note: Bus (I/O) speeds were the same (as expected). The SunSpider tests are faster due to the greatly enhanced javascript engine of OS1.4 vs. 1.3.5.1.

Conclusion: kernel in OS1.4 (better javascript engine) is more effective than OS1.3.5.1
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Why is it that most apps open quicker after opening them a second time. I noticed that on the instructional video and now I see it on my patched Pre. Are you guys caching the data used to open the apps? That might explain the added quickness on the 2nd use. Just wondering.
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
    Why is it that most apps open quicker after opening them a second time. I noticed that on the instructional video and now I see it on my patched Pre. Are you guys caching the data used to open the apps? That might explain the added quickness on the 2nd use. Just wondering.
    John
    Linux automatically caches frequently used data in the RAM as long as it has free space available.

An app that you just opened is an example of something that will definitely be cached, since it's highly probable that you'll open it a second time... like ya did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this is from first page !!!

III. Palm Pre CPU/BUS Performance Tests-500/600/720/800 MHz (new section): Two different kinds of benchmarks; Javascript performance and raw CPU bus throughput. Both measure and scale to the CPU clock speed. The Javascript test is the same tests used in iPhone, Android, and Pre comparisons on the Internet. The SunSpider test is a JavaScript benchmark. This benchmark tests the core JavaScript language only, not the DOM or other browser APIs. It is designed to compare different versions of the same browser, and different browsers to each other.

These results (not all shown) show that the Phone is indeed running fasterand past 800 Mhz the phone cant feed IO any faster to the CPU.

SunSpider test (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...nspider.html):
    (3 tests each and took median result. lower is better)

500 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 23695.6ms

600 scalable OS1.3.5.1 (w/ optimized kernel): 20139.4ms

600 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 20062.6ms

600 static (OS1.3.5.1non-optimized kernel): 20228.4ms

*720 static (OS1.3.5.1 non-optimized kernel): 16680.2ms*

*720 static (OS1.4.0 non-optimized kernel): 15050.4ms*

**800 static (OS1.3.5.1 w/ optimized kernel): 14936.6ms**

**800 static (OS1.4.0 w/ optimized kernel): 13607.2ms**

Note: Bus (I/O) speeds were the same (as expected). The SunSpider tests are faster due to the greatly enhanced javascript engine of OS1.4 vs. 1.3.5.1.

Conclusion: kernel in OS1.4 (better javascript engine) is more effective than OS1.3.5.1
    Then 608.2ms is good? doesnt seem to be...is there another way I can make sure the patch is installed correctly...I did say in my post that I had used this method of comparison, but not too sure if my numbers are as expected...
    well think of it like this . if your in the woods and you want to go through them well you have to track a path , well once that path is laid out the next time around is alot quicker because its fresh in your memory !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    Then 608.2ms is good? doesnt seem to be...is there another way I can make sure the patch is installed correctly...I did say in my post that I had used this method of comparison, but not too sure if my numbers are as expected...
    enter this into linux command line and copy and paste the results up here please , cat /proc/cpuinfo , dont forget the space after cat ok leave out the comma's
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Installed the 800. It has frozen a few times -- had to pull the battery. Anyone else? Will it fix itself over time?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Installed the 800. It has frozen a few times -- had to pull the battery. Anyone else? Will it fix itself over time?
    If I were experiencing freezing...

I'd remove the patch. Visit the Doctor. Then try again.

I'd even start at 720 first, just to be safe. But I'm clearly in the minority on that one.

The Doctor should solve most problems that people are experiencing from this patch, I'd think... because they're more than likely coming from a corrupt install of webOS 1.4 or various, other patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    you could actually try the webos repair utility first to see if it catches whatever that glitch is . i'm sure its not the kernel script because this has happened to others without the kernel installed
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Looks like I'm going to have to doctor mine. After approx. 1 day of running the 800MHz patch my phone keeps locking up. It wont turn back on....have to pull the battery to get it to turn back on. I've removed the 800 patch and still get the same thing??? Should I Dr. my phone and start over?? Thanks in advance!
    Cross posted from another thread:

Just installed 800 this morning, but my phone shuts down randomly and won't come back on unless I do a battery pull when I am charging it. Ill probably go and uninstall it right now and wait and see.

Or I can try the webOS repair thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsl5150 View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to doctor mine. After approx. 1 day of running the 800MHz patch my phone keeps locking up. It wont turn back on....have to pull the battery to get it to turn back on. I've removed the 800 patch and still get the same thing??? Should I Dr. my phone and start over?? Thanks in advance!
    i would try the repair utility first then if trouble persists then the doctor !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    WOW. The web experience on the 800MHz is just mind blowing. I am able to scroll up and down on large web pages and there are hardly any checker boards at all! I am experiencing large battery drain, so good thing I carry 3 batteries!

Quick question. I know over-clocking will make the lifespan of the phone shorter, but does anyone have any kind of estimate or is there some kind of formula to calculate this? The only electronic toy that ever quit on me was a computer I had for 10 years that was on ALL the time. I assume if the Pre's outside hardware was any good the phone would last at least 5-10 years at stock specifications. Anyone have any guess how long in theory it should last running at 800MHz?
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Thanks guys (caj2008 & Shadavis08)...I'll try Dr'ing my phone reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    OS1.4 gets corrupted easily so listen to this man (at any frequency)!!
    Check 720 first and if it purrs like a kitten stay there (not a huge difference)

This is why we gave you choices people. These problems are like algorithoms and manty thing effect one another
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    WOW. The web experience on the 800MHz is just mind blowing. I am able to scroll up and down on large web pages and there are hardly any checker boards at all! I am experiencing large battery drain, so good thing I carry 3 batteries!

Quick question. I know over-clocking will make the lifespan of the phone shorter, but does anyone have any kind of estimate or is there some kind of formula to calculate this? The only electronic toy that ever quit on me was a computer I had for 10 years that was on ALL the time. I assume if the Pre's outside hardware was any good the phone would last at least 5-10 years at stock specifications. Anyone have any guess how long in theory it should last running at 800MHz?
    my apologies for not being more precise with my words !!
    it was said early on that speeding up the pre beyond its set speed could shorten the life of the phone.
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 03/26/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη