Page 46 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647484950515696 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    Does anyone know where the temperature comes from in the battery monitor? Is there a sensor in the battery itself or what?
    It's in the battery, so it's only an indication of how the processor (or any other chip on the PCB, cause there are multiple chips) temperature may be changing. I'm surprised at how much weight people are putting on it, but it is the case that it's the only measure that is known about, so measuring something is better than measuring nothing.

The actual processor temperature could be completely different, depending on battery charge or discharge rates, or the thermal conductivity through the various materials between the die inside the OMAP3430 SoC package, the various layers of the PCB, the various bits of metal shielding and plastic casing, the battery casing, and the battery internals.

And of course it's not just the OMAP3430 that will be affected by excess temperature. Other chips on the PCB also have temperatue vs lifetime characteristics and limits ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's in the battery, so it's only an indication of how the processor (or any other chip on the PCB, cause there are multiple chips) temperature may be changing. I'm surprised at how much weight people are putting on it, but it is the case that it's the only measure that is known about, so measuring something is better than measuring nothing.

The actual processor temperature could be completely different, depending on battery charge or discharge rates, or the thermal conductivity through the various materials between the die inside the OMAP3430 SoC package, the various layers of the PCB, the various bits of metal shielding and plastic casing, the battery casing, and the battery internals.

And of course it's not just the OMAP3430 that will be affected by excess temperature. Other chips on the PCB also have temperatue vs lifetime characteristics and limits ...

-- Rod
    Thanks that is what I wanted to get at but not knowing where the sensor was didn't want to misinform.
    This word is way, way overused, but in this case, it fits: this patch is amazing. It's like having an entirely new phone, one that is snappy and responsive and, well, amazing. Great work, unixpsycho and caj2008!!

/Kevin
    Got it installed. VERY noticable speed increase! I had to reboot/restart 3 times though. The second restart overlapped a bunch of my apps in the launcher and I couldnt launch or scroll screens. Third reset fixed that. Other then that, everything works very well, EXCEPT Google maps. Google maps now wont open at all. It says it needs an internet connection, but my internet is working great....???
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    All very true. The main reason I'm using as an indicator isn't for precise #, but for a signal of things getting too hot. The tests done by caj2008 and unixpsycho were based on battery temperature #, with a reported device failure at 62*C (I believe). Sure other factors like outside temperature, whether or not the slide is out, etc. will cause various, but a recommended 45-50*C max is a good reference point for what's available to read device temperature currently
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I just installed this, will post my results after I play with it a little more but I did notice an improvement with the UI. It feels much snappier.

Also, does anybody know why we cant use the root command line through the terminal?

I have always been using the root command lines to install everything via the terminal. I had to go back and read to install it though WOSQI. It was kind of annoying.
    I'm not sure what I did wrong here but it doesn't seem to be working for me... It sounds like nobody else is having the problem I am so here goes... I know I sent the file because when I search the directory it's there...

root@palm-webos-device: ls /var/home/root
    720MHzOS14.sh

Then when I try to install it I get this "sed: write error"

root@palm-webos-device: sh /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh install
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    crypto/ecb.ko
    crypto/pcbc.ko
    drivers/block/nbd.ko
    drivers/net/ifb.ko
    drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    arch/arm/boot/uImage
    sed: write error
    Rebooting...

I shut down and restarted and got the following from the diagnostics... I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it looks like according to the first test it worked (or partially worked) but the other two still show me at 500MHz ...

root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    800000 2410
    720000 0
    600000 0
    550000 0
    500000 42225
    250000 0
    125000 0
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 498.07

So I went to uninstall to try it again but it won't uninstall... When I check the directory the file is still there...

root@palm-webos-device: ls /var/home/root
    720MHzOS14.sh

What am I doing wrong???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    How often do you think the system should check the current temperature (to see if it needs to send up the 45 or 50 warning banner? Every minute? Every 2 or 3 minutes? Every 5 minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I would say either 5 to 10 min myself jason
    I would agree; between 5-10; Haven't had heat issues yet, temp running between 29 - 39, but also haven't done ton of multimedia since installing 800 patch last night.

For me, pre-patch the phone typically could get hot after long bouts of music, video or *especially* Sprint Nav

I'm still reading thread updates, but if you are working on more of a simple "warning system" to pop up an alert once x-degree or above if reached, I would think polling between 5 & 10 mins would be sufficient
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Thanks for the .jpeg install pictures...that really helped me understand how to do it!

This is quickly becoming my favorite thing I have ever done out of 40 patches to my pre! This is the best thing I have done to my pre in a long time! I feel like I have an updated machine! Combine this with the OS OTA updates, and my Pre feels like it is just about keeping up with the new hardware out there even though I have been using the original Pre since launch day!

This removes enough of the annoying lags that this pre is extra fun to use! I will see how battery goes...I swap batteries by 2pm each day anyway, so I do not care if battery takes some hit anyway since I have one always charging in the car w/charger from Precentral. I am really hoping it speeds up full boot time when swapping batteries...that takes soooo long!...Just tried full reboot! Wow, it is bearable now and compares with itouch and other devices out there! That was such a pain if I needed to switch batteries just when I was needing to look up an address I had to have in order to start driving to my next service stop.

I also love how the launcher screen works now up to proper speed (tabs not needed for 4 launcher pages now?). The gps Sprint TeleNav app now works much more normal and not so stinking slow loading from an address book address!

The lag on waiting for it to search/find an address out of the 3,000 contacts I have is reasonable now, almost fast even when on the phone at the same time! The virtual keyboard hack works much smoother and is more responsive!

The phone is MUCH more responsive...I hated the lag there.

Web pages and all apps load much more at a speed that you do not feel you are waiting on the phone all the time.

Preware now loads and refreshes really fast!

Bottom line...I LOVE THIS!
    caj2008 et al, what are your thoughts on using the OnDemand scaling patch to bring the speed back down to 500 MHz before updating, to oh say 1.4.1 (when it's released), rather than removing the 800 MHz kernal altogether in order to restore to 500 MHz?

And yes, I know what curiosity did to the cat but I'm curious nonetheless.
    "Hopefully it's taking so long because they are upgrading the cameras, adding a 4G radio, higher resolution screen, NFC, a gyroscope, fingerprint reader and an app that builds you and island and then transforms the phone into a jet and flies you there." - Blue Duck Butter, on the Pre 3 release.
    Its weird. I never installed any patch to overclock my pre's cpu. Why the test results show it is 600M Hz. I did check /var/home/root, where there is no patch file.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I did the 800 MHz upgrade earlier and it's *amazing*. So far it's been on my Touchstone for an hour and my battery temp is only at 39C. Looking good
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
    I just installed this, will post my results after I play with it a little more but I did notice an improvement with the UI. It feels much snappier.

Also, does anybody know why we cant use the root command line through the terminal?

I have always been using the root command lines to install everything via the terminal. I had to go back and read to install it though WOSQI. It was kind of annoying.
    I'm not sure why not from the terminal, but I did mine using my wireless connection. You -have- to be root.

So what I did was start NoDoze. Got in wirelessly (i hate going into devmode)

sudo su -l

then I remounted the filesystem as RW

Used WGet to grab the file from my webserver (since it wasn't working directly on the device).

put the file in /var/home/root

ran the command as shown (actually, I believe I cut and pasted)

The device rebooted. Shut it down (poweroff). Started back up.

(My disclaimer -- I'm not really talking to Retzius .. but anyone else who sees my post and thinks that I'm instructing them on how to do it a different way. I am not, nor will I give any additional support on what I did).

IF YOU DO NOT EXPLICITLY UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING HERE - DO NOT DO IT. FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS. THIS ONLY WORKED FOR ME - I MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT YOU WILL NOT SCREW UP YOUR BELOVED PHONE. I HAVE A BACKUP PHONE. I CAN AFFORD TO SCREW ONE UP.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    how do you check the battery temp on the phone
    I'd like to thank nimer55 for their help in getting WEBOSQI install working for me. Damn Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    could someone please test with sprint nav and let me know how fast the battery drains and phone temp?

similarly, if someone has tested already with music remix let me know (i'll also test this one myself and give back a report)

many thanks
    I ran five cards this am while driving around, and the sprint nav for over an hour straight and using it for actual turn-by-turn directions, not just the maps, AND had my phone plugged in to keep teh battery charged. I say that because it makes it hotter with it plugged in and running the GPS. The mount I have for my Pre is not the optimum for cooling with a solid back, and I have a hard plastic case on my Pre. The hottest it got was 48. I was a little worried so I shut off the GPS and closed some cards, and unplugged it. cooled to 45 almost instantly, and was down to 35 in less than 10 minutes. Hope that helps you.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 03/26/2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    931 Global Posts
    donated, thanks for your hard work.

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alopez4525 View Post
    how do you check the battery temp on the phone
    there is a battery monitor app in preware. download it and its under the advanced settings in the upper left corner
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    hey caj - after installingon my phone - no problems at all - works great

Wife's phone - lost all of her alarms in the clock app - no big deal of course, just added new ones etc, but wondering if this has occurred to others? Thought about starting a new thread but i'll check on here first. I'd read the whole thread but I read the first 25 pages yesterday - and my boss might actually want me to do some work today...

PS - ask a mod for a subforum to discuss kernel patches? 50 pages is a bit of a stretch - and im sure it'll only grow faster... Polls, questions, ect would be easier in a subforum...
    Caj: A while after I put in the patch (which is great) my phone radio failed. In your opinion, is this a coincidence, or is it possible for overclocking to selectively affect the radio even if the CPU seems fine?