Page 42 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546475292 ... LastLast
    Here's something that I thing may who are having issues connection to the computer are missing:

Whenever you reboot the device, while the Pre is connected via USB to the computer, that causes an issue with Novacom.

This can be fixed by either:
    • Restart computer
    • Or go StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" then look for "Palm Novacom", right click, and hit "Restart"
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I'm getting mixed messages from this thread.
    What temperature am I trying to keep my Pre under, 35 or 45?

I can start to feel the heat myself at slightly over 35, and it's hard to stay under.
    Even before the mod, my phone feels warm to hot on a regular basis.

webOS Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    I'm getting mixed messages from this thread.
    What temperature am I trying to keep my Pre under, 35 or 45?

I can start to feel the heat myself at slightly over 35, and it's hard to stay under.
    Even before the mod, my phone feels warm to hot on a regular basis.
    I believe 45 degrees is the max acceptable temperature

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I believe 45 degrees is the max acceptable temperature
    Oh good. There's no way I could keep it below 35 during a normal day.

webOS Developer
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Well hate to bring in some bad news but just installed the patch and no more internet connection (i had wifi off). Anyone experienced this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Just monitor it, the length of time matters (should be safe for 5 hrs or more at 50C based on my results). It could stabilize and youlll be fine. Mine does on the charger (2600 battery pack) in the 40's overnight.
    Thanks to Unipsycho and Caj2008 for your very helpful replies. I realized CLI must mean command line. I wa sgoing to run the command unipsycho suggested. But I went bacl to my phone which had cooled down to 34 on airplane mode and thought I should probably us eit a bit with sirplane mode off to replicate the phenomenon - ie raise the temp and then run the CLI. But after about an hour of heavy use it only climbed to 43. Still hot but better than before. So maybe caj2008 is right that it has to "settle" though I do not get why.

Its late an dI need sleep. I will watch the temp during the day tomorrow and if it gets to or over 50 again I will run terh CLI unisycho suge ested and post the result here. Or if you guys want me to run it anyway then just let m eknow and I will.

Again the patch is great. Hoping the temp remains under control because I love using it. BTW among other things it greatly speeds up and smooths out SPrint TV which used to stutter and is now amazing. What a difference, You two deserve a medal!

Good night for now.
    saiks - no problem with internet connection ..
    Soooooo fast and responsive!!!!
    Here's something that I thing may who are having issues connection to the computer are missing:

Whenever you reboot the device, while the Pre is connected via USB to the computer, that causes an issue with Novacom.

This can be fixed by either:
    • Restart computer
    • Or go StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" then look for "Palm Novacom", right click, and hit "Restart"
    I've had this issue before and after a couple beers forget to disconnect my Pre before restarting it and it definitely mucks up Novacom! It'll show up in the box to Safely Remove Hardware but your Pre won't and when you try to plug in the Pre the computer doesn't recognize the USB device. Then on my computer if I try to shutdown Novacom it just hangs and forces me to restart my computer by powering it off at the on/off button! Which creates a seriously pain in the **** situation for me because for some reason when I power it back on nothing happens....I can here the drive spin but nothing on the screen. I finally figured out to unplug the computer from the outlet and let it sit for 5 minutes then plug it back in. Unfortunately I've had days where I may unplug & plug it back in and restart as many as 10 times before the boot screen comes up! So thanks for the tip on restarting Novacom, Jason! I'll be sure to try that the next time I drink too much, lol!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Damn... still not connecting.
    now we need a patch to gives us update when the phone reaches a certain temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    now we need a patch to gives us update when the phone reaches a certain temp.
    oo, I like that idea, lemme see what I can do. Maybe a warning banner popup at 45* and a second at 50?

oo, I like that idea, lemme see what I can do. Maybe a warning banner popup at 45* and a second at 50?
    +1
    Sounds great!!!

Thanks
    i saw on some android phones that they had like a slider on their actual device to decide what they want their clock rate to be. any chance we'll be able to this in the future? the reason i ask is because im worried about when i use gps, that thing gets hot when its stock. i cant imagine how hot it will be at 800
    Last edited by hockey4life0099; 03/26/2010 at 02:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You are happy with 20-25% battery drain? Holy Cow. Good thing I got an extended battery, because eventually I will not be able to resist speed.

But 25% per hour? Ouch.
    For the sake of balance....I installed the 720 today and took my phone off the charger at 4:30PM. It's now 11:30PM and after light browsing, a few phone calls, some video and picture playback, a gps session saving a waypoint using GO TO app, and an extended bluetooth connection with my car, I'm still showing 75% stock battery. YMMV but it's all good here so far.
    I have noticed that the temperature is 3-4 degrees higher when I have the Seidio 1340mah battery in, instead of the stock Palm battery. I think one of my external chargers may have damaged my Seidio battery a bit. The Palm battery seems to last a lot longer for me these days...

Anyway, thanks for the kernel! Love the speed!
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    For the guys who get the Error 5 message..........

I had to work through this between 5-6 this morning, back on pages 7-9. Though I thought I followed the instructions to the "t" I guess a slight mistake led me down the Error 5 path. So here is a quick breakdown of my hours of trying to figure it out:

1. Tried the 800MHz kernel, got Error 5.
    2. Installed the 720MHz kernel with no problems, and then took it off as per instructions on page one.
    3. In WOSQI->Tools->Linux Command Line
    A. enter command "ls -l /var/home/root" without the quotations (""). Those are lower case L's, not I's
    B. Got the following results:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3267933 Mar 25 05:33 720MHzOS14.sh
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 25 02:27 800MHzOS14.sh
    C. That D at the beginning of the permissions for the 800, as was pointed out to me, means it was placed on my Pre as a directory, not a file like it should have been. Like I said, I thought I did it 100% right, but it didn't result in things being 100% right. Check if you have this.
    D. Since this was no good I deleted this directory. WOSQI->Tools->Delete File/Directory, you enter in the name of that directory "/var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh" (again, without the "") and make sure you click the directory choice and hit delete.
    4. I started over with the instructions on page one and things went perfect and I have had the 800MHz kernel for 19 hours or so.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I also want to make a comment about the temps. When I first got the 720, and then changed to the 800, I was watching the temps very closely. For the first few hours I was hitting 40 degrees constantly. As time went on though the median temp seemed to drop. Since getting a few hours sleep and using my Pre all day, the highest temp I have seen is 39 degrees, with 32-33 being normal even with usage. I currently have email, battery app, facebook app all open while Dr. Podder has been playing a podcast for an hour. Temp is at 33.

edit: I meant to add at the end that my point is, don't judge it based on the first few hours...IN MY OPINION. After a while if it keeps staying high then I guess you know to watch it, for me it dropped and has stayed down.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    UPDATE: Sorry guys, its seemed i went over my spending limit and sprint cut off the service. False alarm. Great job on the kernel it is much appreciated.

Thanks you soooo much caj2008 for all your help. I was going nuts over here. Calling sprint in a sec.