Page 18 of 124 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 28 68 118 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Try this:

In webosQI select Tools > Send file. For FILE, press the "..." button and when the file dialog opens, navigate to where the 800MHz script resides. In the Destination Folder window type "/var/home/root" without the quotes. Press the Send to Device button. That should put the file there. Then you run the file following Caj's instructions in the first post. thorne

PS - the file names on the Pre (which is a Linux OS) are CASE_SENSITIVE which means you have to enter the file names correctly. "800MHZOS14.sh" is not correct. It is "800MHzOS14.sh".

Still no luck with both patches
    it is prb my pre - I may doctor it
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    how do we know which temperature the pre is at?
    Use the battery monitor app
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    at first it shows please wait for a few seconds, then it gives error , then nothing happens. When i try it the second time, it just says: Root@palm-webos-device
    type in the command line
    cd /var/home/root
    hit enter
    then type in
    ls

See if that works.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    yep..just feel for developers Jason R and Rod W...what they must deal with. It is incomprehensible!
    Yup...especially Jason R !..I want to personally thank you and you counterpart for developing such a valuable patch for precentral. I would have dumped my Pre a longtime ago, but thanks to all the patches and info from Precentral, I'm still running along with my Pre just fine!
    I am most impressed by the browser, and not just the initial startup time.

I ran the SunSpider at stock speeds under 1.4, and it completed the tests in 24.4 s. Pretty good relatively, but not nearly as quick as, say, the Nexus One (15.9) or iPhone 3GS (16.7).

After the 800 MHz patch, the tests completed in 13.7 s, a 78% increase in speed. The Pre's browser now loads up sites with a lot of information and scripts such as Engadget, IMDB, Facebook, Precentral, etc. in under 10 seconds ready to browse. at 500 MHz, those sites would render fairly quickly, but then stall for several seconds as it executes all the scripts.

Sunspider @ 800 MHz

Sunspider @ 500 MHz

I used Arstechnicas review just to get a rough idea of the speed of other phone browsers. The Pre @ 800 MHz is by far and away the fastest browser. The article is from January so I don't know if there have been speed enhancements for the other platforms since then, but the results are pretty telling. No placebo effect here.
    Thank you very much. Its running great so far at 800mhz.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    Try using one of the other command to check speed like:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

Should see BogoMIPS in MHz (ie-498.07)*

*stolen from page one !!
    still says file not found
    What will this do to battery life?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for your hard work, it is working wonderfully on my Pre. When I am done with my test tomorrow I will try and start doing the battery monitoring stuff. THANK YOU!!!
    For some reason, I can't get the file to open. I keep getting "can't open /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh" (quotes mine). I know I'm missing something basic but can't get it. Any help out there?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w8aq View Post
    For some reason, I can't get the file to open. I keep getting "can't open /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh" (quotes mine). I know I'm missing something basic but can't get it. Any help out there?
    make sure the file in /var/home/root matches (Its case sensitive)
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    What is the advantage or trade-off of 720MHs vs 800MHz?

Is it just slower "might" not fry the CPU as fast? Or are their other issues to consider in choosing which to install?
    wow ill wait until is ready for preware. great work guys!!!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    I just installed the 800MHz patch and it works great. This is why I love my Pre. It's a developing organism always changing with the developer. It runs much much faster, easy to install, and completely handles multi-tasking with more grace. I wish it had the scrolling smoothness of the 3GS but I think it's getting there. Plus overall the Pre wins in many more categories.

Get the patch, make it faster, go baby go!! And read the directions first. Took me 3mins tops!! No problems.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darth mo View Post
    i am most impressed by the browser, and not just the initial startup time.

I ran the sunspider at stock speeds under 1.4, and it completed the tests in 24.4 s. Pretty good relatively, but not nearly as quick as, say, the nexus one (15.9) or iphone 3gs (16.7).

After the 800 mhz patch, the tests completed in 13.7 s, a 78% increase in speed. The pre's browser now loads up sites with a lot of information and scripts such as engadget, imdb, facebook, precentral, etc. In under 10 seconds ready to browse. At 500 mhz, those sites would render fairly quickly, but then stall for several seconds as it executes all the scripts.

sunspider @ 800 mhz

sunspider @ 500 mhz

i used arstechnicas review just to get a rough idea of the speed of other phone browsers. The pre @ 800 mhz is by far and away the fastest browser. The article is from january so i don't know if there have been speed enhancements for the other platforms since then, but the results are pretty telling. No placebo effect here.
    I have one question. Will it be hard to upgrade this for future OS updates?

Like if they releases 1.4.1, how long will it take to see upgrade this patch?

Just asking because I'm already in love with it and going back to the previous speed is like jumping back to the 70's from the 00's.

:P
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    will having the 800 MHz patch along with the smartflex patch from preware have any effect?
    so happy with this patch, i'd like to donate!
    800 MHz, seeing 20-25% battery drain an hour (one was as low as 17%, prolly 22% average) and running a constant 34C the whole time, slider open.

I am extremely pleased with the results.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Wow you just breathed whole new life into my Pre. I want to thank the Developers and the alpha testers, may your Pres rest in peace knowing their sacrifices weren't in vain. Only problem with your instructions. You're missing a Donate button.