Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112117118119120121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2468
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hi rod. where can i download the karnel ur talking about to test on my pre? thanks
    The current state of the overclocking and temperature sensor patches to the webOS 1.4.1 kernel source code are published at:

git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/summary

The build system Makefile used to build the kernel (with the next-generation OTA-safe packaging) is published at:

git.webos-internals.org Git - preware/build.git/blob - hardware/uber-kernel-pre/Makefile

Anyone who wishes to test the kernel is currently asked to build it from source. The build system results in an OTA-compatible package which can be easily installed using palm-install, WOSQI or Preware (via a custom feed) and any developer with the skills and experience such as those used to build the current first generation kernels can easily build it from source for testing or inclusion in another application. Like all Linux kernels, it is licensed under the GPL, so any derivative works that include it must also be GPL licensed (like the application mentioned above will be GPL licensed).

Please direct any further questions about the next-generation kernel development to http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels, as this thread should be about the first generation kernels, not the next-generation kernels.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Wow, you guys rock!
  3.    #2423  
    It appears that there are two parallel track for kernel development at this stage and frankly I think that is actually not a problem at all. I may be speaking out of turn, but as I see it there is a parallel with the two methods out there right now and physics.

One method seems analogous to 'theoretical physics,' wherein you lay out principles and try to device solutions based on those principles. The other method is analogous to 'experimental physics' and has principles of its own primarily based on rigorous testing of real world results.

To my mind both methods are valid and can yield safe and good real world results. I don't see any reason to say that parallel tracks can't coexist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    It appears that there are two parallel track for kernel development at this stage and frankly I think that is actually not a problem at all. I may be speaking out of turn, but as I see it there is a parallel with the two methods out there right now and physics.

One method seems analogous to 'theoretical physics,' wherein you lay out principles and try to device solutions based on those principles. The other method is analogous to 'experimental physics' and has principles of its own primarily based on rigorous testing of real world results.

To my mind both methods are valid and can yield safe and good real world results. I don't see any reason to say that parallel tracks can't coexist.
    Thanks Dieter - I fully agree. I also note that the output of the WebOS Internals work is always available for anyone else to use according to the GPL license, and we welcome any other group building upon it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    One thing I'm certain of is in the long run everyone's efforts ultimately lead to the desired end result. Remember back in the day when installing apps outside of the official catalog was new there were several ideas and methods at work and it almost seemed chaotic, but eventually all that became the end result of what most everyone uses today to install apps etc on their devices.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Hey dude I just tried to download the 800 patch using wget command and i got a bad address response! so i tried to download it on my computer and i got a page saying that only the owner of the file/page can access that file! What's going on?
    I'm a little cpu illiterate and would love if someone helps me w/this download
    I can't wait for the Super PreKernel App to come out!
    im am an alfa tester of the new supre pre kernel app and let me tell you its the easiest by far to load and unload these kernels and its all rapped up into a nice little package called Super Pre App. . been on my phone for a week now and 1 suggest its very kool and extremely safe imho !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    just doctored my pre. what is the eta for this super app?
    awesome... thanks for this.... just got my palm pre yesterday.. and just messing with it..
    can anyone hook me up with the 720MHzOS14.sh file so i can uninstall?
    my phone reset and i lost the .sh file i used to install, but still running at 717 bogomips.

the .sh file links are set to private now. i just need the file to run uninstall.
    Thanks for this everyone! It works fantastically! I've noticed no real negative impacts of applying the 800 Mhz kernel. My phone went from being awesome, to UBER AWESOME!
    This is crazy fast!
    I haven't tried the superkernel yet... i'll probably wait until Verizon releases an update.

I finally did the 800 mhz last night and i'm getting better batt life than the 720 and 600! I've been keeping numbers for about a week now... today i'm looking at about 3.59 DPH and roughly a 28 hour life on the stock batt. Cant beat i!!!!
    Before I do this...what's the downside? Aside from battery draining quicker.
    The downside is that you may be blinded by the sheer awesomeness of the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    Before I do this...what's the downside? Aside from battery draining quicker.
    I personally don't experience increased battery drain clocking at 800 and not using any scaling. However that may not be the same for everyone. Also being a hobby overclocker with PCs potential problems include stability, heat, reduced CPU life to name the most common; however because this has been tested and used by so many users it probably is safe to say you won't have any problems.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Ah good counter point, i don't do a lot of cpu intensive activities but i love how the short spurts with all my productivity apps etc are that much faster. They literally feel like they snap into view upon load where before I would tap to open and switch to another task for 10 or so seconds then go back to the newly launched app. Now the longer load time apps load so fast I don't have time to consider switching to another app before they are ready for me to interact with.
    cant install it ...........help