Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2171111116117118119120121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2468
    OK, I would *love* to check this out but I cannot seem to find the patches anywhere. The MedaiFire links have gone private and/or I get huge files when I download from them.
    And the links on this forum wont show until I have 10 or more posts; does that mean I have to SPAM this forum before I can download the patches. That sucks!

Is there any way to get these patches without going through all this grief?
    There is a link in the first post of the thread for the new ipk installer as it is much easier to install rather than the old sh method which I believe why the sh is no longer available.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RNHurt View Post
    Is there any way to get these patches without going through all this grief?
    You'll find them at the "Ipk deployment..." thread, not at this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...z-kernels.html

Ah, note they're not patches, but new kernels!
    I would like to send thanks to the developers of this upgrade. It works great on my phone. Doesn't get hot and battery life seems fine if not better than before. Only question I have for everyone is. Why add the scaler?

Since my phone is working well at I'm guessing constant 800mhz.
    Why throttle back?, Battery life only?

And since I'm going to town with what I hope are relevant questions in this thread. As far as heat I'm not monitoring other that using my hand as an indicator. An earlier pre (on my 3rd) had been quit warm in my hand at stock mhz and never caused a problem (returned for nav prob's).

This new one with the speed increase has never seemed warm to the touch.
    So do I need to add the temp monitor app?

Again this is a great addition to my phone. Thanks to all that put forth the effort
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Quini: Ah, note they're not patches, but new kernels!

True: These are not patches but binary scripts that modify the kernel
    Ah, ok! I thought they were a new kernel that was added to the system, and booted by default (the same way it works in a linux machine)!

Thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    Ah, ok! I thought they were a new kernel that was added to the system, and booted by default (the same way it works in a linux machine)!
    You are correct. Each is an ipkg that contains a script that contains an embedded binary GPL kernel and modules tarball, and the script backs up all files to be modified into a new backup tarball and then replaces the kernel and modules and does a binary substitution on LunaSysMgr using 'sed'.

Note that the inclusion of a kernel binary image makes the whole ipkg GPL licensed.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/18/2010 at 05:03 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ok, this is my situation, everything is working great, but one day my palm pre app catalog stuck in a error, I went to Sprint, and they Reset the phone with the option Erase App and Data, And the little problem that I have now, is that the phone is at 800mhz, but when connect to WebOsQuickInstall the ipk is not there for unistall, because the reset. I tried installing again, then appears in the Device Management, but when click unistall, the phone still in 800mhz, What are my options for unistall the ipk?
    Jeff and Marcos,

I followed your advice and switched to the Seido 2400 battery. Let the phoen stay at 500 weeks to stabilize. Installed 800 patch. Result: It still heats tremendously when it is streaming audio or video or any lengthy app download etc.

I began experimenting keeping it running despite the heat. I was curious how hot it would get. It seems to max out at 53 C. Today I streamed music (LostFM) for almost 2 hours and the whole time it went up and down between 52 C and 53 C. It feels VERY hot, and the notification from the warning patch kept going off, but it functioned fine.

So my questions are:

1) Am I the only one with this problem? Is it a bad chip?
    2) Anything else I should be doing, and most important....

3) It SEEMS to run fine at 53C though it feels HOT. Am I crazy? Am I being too reckless? AM I risking serious problems? Or is 53 C really okay and I can just go on using it. If its okay to use for extended periods at 53C I woudl remove the warning patch and just go with it. But if I am crazy please tell me now.

I don't know what else to do. Hoping 53 is ok but I don't want to be foolish.

Also I see the post on the new patch coming out but I assume that will not affect this issue, right?

Thanks!

Steve
    awesome. thanks
    OK, does anyone have a MD5 sum hash of the 800MHz kernel ipk? I think maybe mine is corrupt or something. Whenever I try to install it I get the following error:

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true, "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"STARTING"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"CREATE_TMP"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"VERIFYING"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"IPKG_INSTALL"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL"}

What's going on here? I did a full Dr. reset on my phone and I'm still getting this error.

Later...
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by RNHurt View Post
    OK, does anyone have a MD5 sum hash of the 800MHz kernel ipk? I think maybe mine is corrupt or something. Whenever I try to install it I get the following error:

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true, "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"STARTING"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"CREATE_TMP"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"VERIFYING"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"IPKG_INSTALL"}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"ticket":1, "status":"FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL"}

What's going on here? I did a full Dr. reset on my phone and I'm still getting this error.

Later...
    Richard
    Use WebOS Quick Install 3.02 or 3.11, not 3.1 - see http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2390148 for details.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilapr View Post
    Ok, this is my situation, everything is working great, but one day my palm pre app catalog stuck in a error, I went to Sprint, and they Reset the phone with the option Erase App and Data, And the little problem that I have now, is that the phone is at 800mhz, but when connect to WebOsQuickInstall the ipk is not there for unistall, because the reset. I tried installing again, then appears in the Device Management, but when click unistall, the phone still in 800mhz, What are my options for unistall the ipk?
    Have you tried the webOS Repair Untility already in order to restore the full system from external? "Erase App and Data" ist a restore from internal...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precaution View Post
    Have you tried the webOS Repair Untility already in order to restore the full system from external? "Erase App and Data" ist a restore from internal...
    No, But in that case is going to erase everything and start over or not? Because I don't have any problem at all with the phone, the 800mhz kernel is working like a charm and don't need to uninstall, but if in the future I need to for some reason I would know what are my options. I was trying to unistall it because the game N.O.V.A., its feel a little buggy and wanna test if was the 800mhz kernel or not.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Question: Is there a problem with installing the 800mhz patch and using cpu scaler to scale 250-720 instead of 125-800?

i know i might as well have used the 720 patch but just to know the extra power is there when i want it yanno?
    Last edited by lsvteg11; 04/19/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    so this binary will not ba able to download from Preware at some point?
    Quote Originally Posted by lsvteg11 View Post
    Question: Is there a problem with installing the 800mhz patch and using cpu scaler to scale 250-720 instead of 125-800?

i know i might as well have used the 720 patch but just to know the extra power is there when i want it yanno?
    You shouldn't have any problems. It should just scale from 250 to 720, just as you asked, and it should never ever go to 800Mhz, unless you change the max speed
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Super PreKernel App Video: Check it out
    For some reason, the original post to which this was a reply has been moved to three posts below this one.

Whilst we are flattered by the mention in the dedication section of this possibly-emmy-award-winning video, WebOS Internals cannot endorse the technical contents of the Super PreKernel App itself.

Our understanding is that it contains a 1.4.0 kernel which has not been recompiled since the release of the 1.4.1 kernel source code from Palm.

The 1.4.0 kernel contained in this app also does not comply with the 7 principles of kernel development and packaging that we have published at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels and does not contain the latest internal CPU temperature code (we have found differences of up to 12 degC between the internal CPU temperature sensor and the external battery temperature sensor which is currently in use by these first-generation overclocking solutions).

Whilst we do not believe that the kernel contained in this application will cause damage to anyone's device, we cannot endorse it's use. Of course, we respect the personal choice of any existing user to continue to use these first generation overclocking solutions.

We have created a unified 1.4.1 kernel which does comply with the 7 principles and does contain the internal CPU temperature functionality, and have offered this kernel to caj2008, but from this video it seems that our offer of what we believe to be a robust OTA-safe unified kernel has not been accepted.

All of the work that WebOS Internals is doing in kernel development is open source GPL licensed, and is available to any party for use. We hope that this application will be immediately upgraded by caj2008 and Number1Pete to use this next-generation unified kernel for the benefit of the community.

-- Rod

[edited by Dieter]
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/20/2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Great video Caj and the rest. Super Pre Kernal is so going to rock. You have to be very proud of yourselves!
    When will Super PreKernel be available? I watched the video ... amazing, slick. Can't wait to get my hands on it. You rock!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    For some reason, the original post to which this was a reply has been moved to three posts below this one.

Whilst we are flattered by the mention in the dedication section of this possibly-emmy-award-winning video, WebOS Internals cannot endorse the technical contents of the Super PreKernel App itself.

Our understanding is that it contains a 1.4.0 kernel which has not been recompiled since the release of the 1.4.1 kernel source code from Palm.

[edit by dieter]

The 1.4.0 kernel contained in this app also does not comply with the 7 principles of kernel development and packaging that we have published at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels and does not contain the latest internal CPU temperature code (we have found differences of up to 12 degC between the internal CPU temperature sensor and the external battery temperature sensor which is currently in use by these first-generation overclocking solutions).

Whilst we do not believe that the kernel contained in this application will cause damage to anyone's device, we cannot endorse it's use. Of course, we respect the personal choice of any existing user to continue to use these first generation overclocking solutions.

We have created a unified 1.4.1 kernel which does comply with the 7 principles and does contain the internal CPU temperature functionality, and have offered this kernel to caj2008, but from this video it seems that our offer of what we believe to be a robust OTA-safe unified kernel has not been accepted.

All of the work that WebOS Internals is doing in kernel development is open source GPL licensed, and is available to any party for use. We hope that this application will be immediately upgraded by caj2008 and Number1Pete to use this next-generation unified kernel for the benefit of the community.

-- Rod
    hi rod. where can i download the karnel ur talking about to test on my pre? thanks