Page 111 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101106107108109110111112113114115116 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2468
    please help,

how do get patch for 1.4.1.1, please include steps for installation

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gben83 View Post
    There are issues with the ipk version of these patches but hopefully once those get worked out we'll see them in preware.
    Only in a custom feed from what I hear.

But that's just as good, I'd say.
    @sparky58

Go the first page of this thread. The first step on that page tells you how to download the kernel. To install it:

1. Open WOSQI
    2. Tools > Send File
    3. Select the file 800MHzOS14.sh
    4. type "/var/home/root" without the quotes (confirmation message, click Ok)
    5. Tools > Linux Command
    6. Type "sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh install" without the quotes and press enter. You will eventually see some messages, and the phone will reboot.

I hope it helps.
    FWIW

I did the .sh install of the 800MHz kernal patch yesterday, and have had no issues other than increased speed and overall smooth operation.

Interestingly tho, I just went to get my current stats, just to see what speed it is reportintg, and right after I went into the terminal app, and then the preferences to change the font size, my Pre rebooted itself? Not sure if this is an issue with the 800MHz or with the Terminal app?

But after the reboot , all seems fine, and here is the screen shot of my stats

term.png

btw? What exactly does BogoMips stand for?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Can't wait for the ipk to be released
    I was running the 800 Mhz kernel for many days with no problems, then uninstalled it for the 1.4.1.1 update. After the update, I install the 720 Mhz kernel and it worked fine for days. But today I seem to be zapped by the battery sucking issue. From a full charge down to 35% battery in just 9 hours while the phone was absolutely unused and idle the whole time. The only time I have ever seen that type of drain was when the local tower was down, but it is rock solid 5 bars the last two hours (and I have been checking regularly now). That doesn't mean it was like that all day, however. I will reboot and observe more closely tomorrow.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    FWIW

I did the .sh install of the 800MHz kernal patch
    It is not a patch, it is a replacement kernel.
    Interestingly tho, I just went to get my current stats, just to see what speed it is reportintg, and right after I went into the terminal app, and then the preferences to change the font size, my Pre rebooted itself? Not sure if this is an issue with the 800MHz or with the Terminal app?
    It was probably not a reboot, but a luna restart. 30 - 60 sec = luna restart. 3-4 MINUTES = reboot. Ever since 1.4.0, many people have complained about random luna restarts, unrelated to the overclocked kernel (it does it to me before and after the overlocking).

btw? What exactly does BogoMips stand for?
    Bogo=fake MIPS=millions of instructions per second. It is a fake benchmark of speed, and depends on both clock speed and instructions per cycle on the chip. On my home system, which is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 system, it is 2211.687 Mhz, but 4423.37 Bogomips, per core.

$ grep mips /proc/cpuinfo
    bogomips : 4423.37
    bogomips : 4421.89
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Battery Drain: If you uninstall and reinstall, that has fixed this peoblem for others in the past
    Yep- I remember reading that. But I wanted you to know it happened to me too. I am going to reboot and see if it happens again (and to try and rule out any tower issues). If it happens again, I will uninstall/reinstall and see if that makes any difference. Thanks
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Should we still post a screen capture of our spreadsheet? I was just about to install the 800Mhz kernal and log those numbers, but if only if they are still looking for more numbers...
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Notice, after uninstalling either the 720 or 800 the script itself stays in "/var/home/root"

If/when you remove the scripts and you type "ls /var/home/root" you will probably get something like...

So is that safe and ok for the files to still be there even though they aren't installed (Referring to future OS update)? Probably wouldn't hurt if an extra step be taken by actually deleting the scripts from /var/home/root after uninstall?
    Yea, the scripts stayed in root for me too, what command deletes them? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    WIll this ever be released via PreWare?
    While caj2008 and others have been doing all the hard work in deploying and testing this stuff, I've been quietly working in the background to put the infrastructure in place for automatic kernel builds (including being able to merge different unrelated functionality patches from different authors), integration of the required patches with AUPT-4 (which will support patches to binary files like LunaSysMgr), a custom hardware-patches feed, and the appropriate disclaimers about possible effect on warranty in Preware when you add a custom feed.

I've also been organising other kernel developers to have a good technical discussion with Marco and the developers of previous SmartReflex and Scaling patches to see if any other improvements to the kernel are required for fail-safe OTA behaviour.

At some point in the future (weeks, not days), I expect the streams of effort will converge and caj2008 will have the opportunity to skilfully manage another round of testing of a Preware custom feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just used wget via WOSQI on 1.4.1.1 to get 800 MHz. It is Beeyootiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    do a

ls /var/home/root

when it reboots

I just doctored it to 1.4.1 and it worked.
    Thank you for all the hard work!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Question for anyone: 800mhz installed and then 1.4.1.1 downloaded and installed without me uninstalling the 800mhz first. The phone works fine and I think it still is running at 800mhz because things load faster than the wife's stock Pre.

What's the story with installing the 1.4.1.1 over top of the 800mhz? Do I need to do anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAaronr View Post
    Question for anyone: 800mhz installed and then 1.4.1.1 downloaded and installed without me uninstalling the 800mhz first. The phone works fine and I think it still is running at 800mhz because things load faster than the wife's stock Pre.

What's the story with installing the 1.4.1.1 over top of the 800mhz? Do I need to do anything else?
    you should be ok this time but i would not suggest ever letting that happen again lol it could frak your phone majorly lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    After all the work to build this thing, rebuild it for 1.4.1, and continue the amazing 24x7 support provided on this thread - have you all sent a $10-$20 donation to the Kernel developers? Seriously, they need to recoup their expenses at least!

We want them to keep developing this stuff, and we need to support their efforts! Please donate. And if you already have, donate again for the 1.4.1 update.

Thanks for supporting all of the developers that make our WebOS phones to much fun!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Haven't seen many of these, but here's mine for the sake of the game. I'm using the sh btw. Big thanks to the developers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ONLY FOR WEBOS VERSIONS 1.4 Seems to be working for 1.4.1 / 1.4.1.1 so use at your own risk

Caj2008 has updated his original post! so those who want to install the 720MHz or 800MHz Kernels can do so via linux access aka root (Using Webos quick install command line or terminal app, terminus, novaterm, ssh, putty or whatever.)) I am quoting it bellow.

Just two simple commands in the CODE brackets first line downloads the scrip the second line runs it (which installs custom kernel backs up old kernel and restarts phone)

NOTE: Only install one kernel at a time if you install 720MHz then want to try 800MHz be sure to uninstall the 720MHz Kernel first and revert back to 500MHz before you run the 800MHz command line installation. I have posted uninstall command bellow the quoted text.

Before running the following commands its a good idea to go back to the Original post and read steps 1-4 which explain what to do if you want to be on the safe side of things otherwise the commands bellow should be all you need to install the desired kernel.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is Linux after so all you guys remember the commands are case sensitive. You need to type them in exactly as they are displayed bellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Caj2008

Wget Alternative to Steps 5-7 (non WOSQI Send File: methods- WOSQI Commad Line Tool, Terminal app, Terminus, Novaterm, SSH, Putty etc.)
    5) Use WOSQI Tools - In Linux Command Line, (or any other terminal method) write

Below Wget code into Commandline for 720 MHz Kernell

Code:
    wget -qO /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh http://download273.mediafire.com/msczsnllugwg/zyfmjcmognz/720MHzOS14.sh
    sh /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh install
    (Downloads & Installs 720MHz Script to Pre)
    Below Wget code into Commandline for Alternative 800 MHz Kernel

Code:
    wget -qO /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh http://download126.mediafire.com/xal55wbralcg/wmmuhwzmwz1/800MHzOS14.sh
    sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh install
    (Downloads & Installs 800MHz Script to Pre)
    To uninstall Kernel and revert back to default kernel run (only works if you have the original kernel script still in your /var/home/root directory this was downloaded to the phone using the first line command of the quoted CODE above)

Reverts 720 MHz Kernel back to default
    Code:
    sh /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh uninstall
    Reverts 800 MHz Kernel back to default
    Code:
    sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh uninstall
    Last edited by jack87; 04/05/2010 at 09:55 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    After all the work to build this thing, rebuild it for 1.4.1, and continue the amazing
    Just a technicality- it was not built/rebuilt yet for 1.4.1, since the source code is (for some strange reason) unavailable. The current builds are for 1.4.0 that seem to work OK for 1.4.1.x