Page 104 of 124 FirstFirst ... 4 54 9499100101102103104105106107108109 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2468
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I decided to switch from 720 to 800MHz last night due to the temperature issue I was having. I think it's safe to say that my phone no longer has the high temperatures on the touchstone and the battery drain went back to the way it was before the 1.4.1.1 update (at least for now). Odd but true!
    if your having problems with these kernels one way the issues have been resolved is to uninstall the kernel and reinstall . And then report back here in the threads with issues if they persist. Thanks . Also folks please download a spread sheet from first page in this thread and do some testing for unixpsycho and caj2008 . It will speed up ipk's release . Thanks everyone !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I read that installing 800 on 1.4.1.1 overwrote the change on the 1.4.1.1 kernel.

When the release of ipk for 1.4.1.1 gets put on will it work for the original 1.4 kernel?

Or should we uninstall 800(1.4), reupdate or doctor to 1.4.1.1, then install the ipk?
    I'm just about to start 1.4.1 testing, on the form it asks for apps/patches, and build date. I have a gsm pre on o2, and over 50 patches...are these two fields really necessary?If so, is their an easy way of entering them???
    Okay, it's been 12 hours since I went from 720 to 800. My Pre is running cooler than ever. All night on the touchstone and it was more cool by a huge margin this morning than when at 500.

I will keep watching and running but so far 800 is really nice and no problems at all.
    for me after the 800mhz I dropped to about 2% drain per hour idle thank you guys, your amazing. I cant comment on the heat issue because I'm testing my own heat sink mod, 50min of tethering (downloading youtube vids entire time) and temp equalized at 40c.

basically I'm using a thin sheet of metal to help spread the heat across more of the back of the phone, if anything, it stops the one bottom right corner from melting my hands. If anyone would like instructions Ill gladly post some pics in a new thread.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    for me after the 800mhz I dropped to about 2% drain per hour idle thank you guys, your amazing. I cant comment on the heat issue because I'm testing my own heat sink mod, 50min of tethering (downloading youtube vids entire time) and temp equalized at 40c.

basically I'm using a thin sheet of metal to help spread the heat across more of the back of the phone, if anything, it stops the one bottom right corner from melting my hands. If anyone would like instructions Ill gladly post some pics in a new thread.
    What type of metal are you using? I thought about just getting a block of aluminum to help cool mine down when it gets hot. Are you putting it inside the device or just setting your phone down on the metal?
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    I read that installing 800 on 1.4.1.1 overwrote the change on the 1.4.1.1 kernel.

When the release of ipk for 1.4.1.1 gets put on will it work for the original 1.4 kernel?

Or should we uninstall 800(1.4), reupdate or doctor to 1.4.1.1, then install the ipk?
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    What type of metal are you using? I thought about just getting a block of aluminum to help cool mine down when it gets hot. Are you putting it inside the device or just setting your phone down on the metal?
    I believe its just a thin bit of aluminum, it came from the case on an old laptop 20x cd drive so its fairly thin... I was using the metal piece off a floppy drive at first but there wasn't enough to make it the shape I wanted. oh yeah and its inside, it also makes the case creek less cause its a tight fit. I'll edit it how the cd drive piece works out. it could just all be a placebo effect...

EDIT:

So after 15 min of re-downloading the same 8mb file tethering to my laptop it was at 37c. also sprints network is freaking fast over 80kbs the entire time

20 min its at 38, looks like it will slowly climb its way back to 40 after an hour.
    Last edited by KeeganDoomFire; 04/03/2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I'm just about to start 1.4.1 testing, on the form it asks for apps/patches, and build date. I have a gsm pre on o2, and over 50 patches...are these two fields really necessary?If so, is their an easy way of entering them???
    jut put the number of apps and patches in totals that is all thats required . unless you want to go the extra mile .
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Okay, it's been 12 hours since I went from 720 to 800. My Pre is running cooler than ever. All night on the touchstone and it was more cool by a huge margin this morning than when at 500.

I will keep watching and running but so far 800 is really nice and no problems at all.
    it would awesome if you could go to the first page and download the spread sheet and do the testing marco and jeff only have 30 tests done out of 500 downloads . so they need more test results and then post them on here and send them to marco and jeff . thanks! THIS WILL SPEED UP THE IPK VERSION OF THE KERNELS ! JUST SAYIN !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have had the 800 installed for 24 hours and have not had any issues whatsoever. I am very happy but worried at the same time because now that I have had a taste of this phone running at this speed, if I have to give it up, that will be sorta hard. I wonder if Palm is listening and watching our tests? I downloaded the spreadsheet and will do some testing and document the tests tomorrow... want this thing running in a fairly benign mode for 48 hours just to see how it is doing...
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Make sure to put a space between sh and /var.

so the correct command line should be "sh_/var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh_install"

Where the underscores are spaces.

And: "cat_/proc/cpuinfo"
    Thanks Zealster. That took care of my problem. I've now got the 800MHz kernel working. All is well.
    Or should we uninstall 800(1.4), reupdate or doctor to 1.4.1.1, then install the ipk?[/QUOTE]

yes !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    I was running 800MHz on 1.4 without any issues.

I uninstalled the 800MHz patch, confirmed I was at 500MHz, then updated to 1.4.1.1.

After running 1.4.1.1 @ 500MHz for a day without issue, I re-ran the 1.4 800MHz patch and it installed without any issue.

I confirmed it's running at 800MHz and so far seems to be stable. I ran Preware and updated 21 patches to latest ver, did some IM and web browsing, and some e-mail all at the same time.
    it would awesome if you could go to the first page and download the spread sheet and do the testing marco and jeff only have 30 tests done out of 500 downloads . so they need more test results and then post them on here and send them to marco and jeff . thanks! THIS WILL SPEED UP THE IPK VERSION OF THE KERNELS ! JUST SAYIN !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  16. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Wow this thread is getting long.

My phone updated to 1.4.1.1 automagically last night and I had not removed the 800Mhz patch. I was planning on removing it this am then update. I'm now running at 500Mhz. Everything seems to be running fine. I just updated my other patches with WebOsQI without any problems. Is it safe to reinstall the 800Mhz patch? Or do I need to do something else first. Do I need to run the uninstall or did the update negate that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post

Are you using the Touchstone cover or the regular one?
    I have been running 800MHz since Thursday. Not trying to jinx myself here, but knock on wood, no problems. I was getting alot more freezes since I updated to 1.4.1.1 (with 800MHz uninstalled). Moving between launcher pages was like the tortise instead of the hare. It seemed like if it got bogged at all while doing something, it would hang for several seconds then do a luna restart. Sometimes it would release and move on but then soon it would restart. Bad battery drain, too. These seemed worse then when 1.4 first came out. Made a good heater when I was charging it, but I kept a constant watch and made sure the temperature didn't get too high.

I have to say since I put the 800Mhz back on, all of that is almost completely gone. I do get an occasional restart once and a while, but not anymore than it ever has been on any previous webOS versions prior to 1.4. Battery drain is much less and the phone runs like it is way ahead of my actions even when I am swiping launcher pages a mile a minute.

A few of my apps don't even show a splash page because after I tap it, it's as if the phone was just waiting for me to call on it.

Also, the heat issues appear to be gone. The only time I had an issue was on the car charger with any apps running that were using the internet regularly and even then the temperature stayed no higher than 40c and no warning messages. Last night, after I went to bed, I got a Facebook notification that turned the screen on but no apps were running. The phone was plugged in to the wall charger. I didn't know it had been on all that time until I woke up a couple of hours later and saw it on because I have the No Auto Off While Charging set. When I picked up the phone, I felt it all over front and back, and it wasn't even the least bit warm. Maybe one spot in the lower middle back where I could barely feel any warmth. The rest of it felt cool to the touch.

So far, no weird errors or problems, and so far no one-time or other odd issues as of yet. I continue to monitor constantly as I am one of those looking for even the most tiny, barely visible bread crumb of an issue since this could cause the need for a visit to the doctor if something bad happened.

It would seem that the 800MHz would cause the phone to use more battery and make it get hotter since it causes the processor and hardware to do so much more, but for me it has done the exact opposite. I have never seen my phone run so much better in nearly every aspect until after I installed the 800MHz and just as much or more so in 1.4.1.1 so far.

I must say a HUGE thanks to unixpsycho and caj2008 for their work on this, especially since they are doing it for us all without us having to pay for it and we are all getting the benefit. I will defintely update to the ipk's when they come out if everything works out where they are compatible, but again for now, while the .sh is still in use, THANKS and keep up the excellent work!!!!
    Could someone help me...i uninstalled the 800 patch using Web os quick install following the instructions on the first post to uninstall...my phone will not turn back on, at all.

Pulled the batter a few times and it's started...thank god...
    I've been running the 800 Mhz kernel with 1.4.1 for several days and haven't had any issues. After the most recent update no more freezing or resets. I'll keep a close monitor and update if I find any issues.