Page 100 of 124 FirstFirst ... 50 909596979899100101102103104105 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2468
    Oh yeah, mine is a launch day pre
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    It has been determined that the kernel for OS1.4.1.1 is slightly different than the version on the server. The source code for this version will be unavailable for some time. The current script does appear to work for many, but some new issues have been reported after running the kernel several days. For those with issues, an uninstall procedure apparently fixes this implying it is kernel related. For these reasons the ipk deployment has been halted to discourage inexperienced users.

Further testing is required so the kernel script will continue to be made available to the public on the server for those who want to test it out. The more data the better but remember you use it at your own risk (experienced troubleshooters welcome). Please report what you find here. If it is deemed from this testing that the kernel is not compatible, it will be removed from public download.
    what are the reported issues?
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Jeff - Do you have a rough est. on a compatible version?

I'm on the fence about 600/800... I know d@mn sure I can barely stand this paperweight at stock.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    It has been determined that the kernel for OS1.4.1.1 is slightly different than the version on the server. The source code for this version will be unavailable for some time. The current script does appear to work for many, but some new issues have been reported after running the kernel several days. For those with issues, an uninstall procedure apparently fixes this implying it is kernel related. For these reasons the ipk deployment has been halted to discourage inexperienced users.

Further testing is required so the kernel script will continue to be made available to the public on the server for those who want to test it out. The more data the better but remember you use it at your own risk (experienced troubleshooters welcome). Please report what you find here. If it is deemed from this testing that the kernel is not compatible, it will be removed from public download.
    To make things perfectly clear (as you may know I like to do), when you say "current script" you are talking about the exact same 720 and 800 scripts we had for 1.4 correct? Unless I missed something, which over the last couple of days is very possible......
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    To make things perfectly clear (as you may know I like to do), when you say "current script" you are talking about the exact same 720 and 800 scripts we had for 1.4 correct? Unless I missed something, which over the last couple of days is very possible......
    Not to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure that is what he's referring to.

I've got the 1.4 800MHz on my 1.4.1.1 Pre for now, and haven't had any issues over the past day, though we'll see. I expected it to not be completely 100% correct for the newer version of webOS, and so I'll definitely remove it and apply the newer kernel when that comes out, but for now, I'm happy with how it's working so far.
    caj2008: is the stock 1.4.1.1 kernel the same as the stock 1.4.0 kernel?

If it's the same kernel, then what's the risk of using the script designed for 1.4.0 on 1.4.1.1?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Caj i have a question will you and marco ever realese a 1000mhz patch, or is the 800mhz patch the final for the pre Hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by R3sp View Post
    Caj i have a question will you and marco ever realese a 1000mhz patch, or is the 800mhz patch the final for the pre Hardware?
    After thorough testing, it was determined that there are no more performance gains to be had past 800MHz, as the phone at that point can't process any faster.
    okey thanks and thanks for the 800 Mhz Patch
    installed the 800 patch....man, what an improvment! works on 1.4.1. caj and unix you blessed my phone. thank you for that!
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Thanks Cringer,

I have clarified my post and you are correct. The post has been corrected so please look at it everyone as all your answers are there (it is on page one also). Remember the alternative 550 and 600 LunaSysMgr ipk's are available for download for the inexperienced user. I have to get back to work.
    Thanks. And I was asking more for personal reasons this time with still having the 800MHz.sh still on the phone I wanted to know if that was what I should install or if a slightly newer script was out there.

Also, any reports of problems (since I have the 800 rolling again) should go here?

Right away I kind of see how the 1.4 800MHz kernel is not a perfect fit for 1.4.1.1, at least from a performance standpoint. It is fast, but I see more little pauses/hangs then I did with it on 1.4. No deal breakers, but just something I have noticed. Still a great thing.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm just updating to confirm that for another person the 800Mhz 1.4 patch works on 1.4.1.1 and shows 796.91 BogoMIPS.

It does seem a fair bit slower on startup than with the 800Mhz kernel on 1.4, but that's just subjective I didn't actually time it (yet).
    It has been determined that the kernel for OS1.4.1.1 is slightly different than the OS1.4 version on the server. The source code for this version will be unavailable for some time. The current script does appear to work for many, but some new issues have been reported after running the kernel several days.
    Please don't ask when new version will be deployed (no clue)
    Why the **** is it unavailable, this is under GPL, they have to share it...

never the less, no .ipkg does not mean no speed

going to run the script again now, if it fails, I will try to report about it.
    My pre has about 25 patches running around and is rebooting at least once a day, so at least that part is going to speed up now :-)

Thanks for all the work!

Update:
    SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
    BogoMIPS 796.91
    feels so much better
    Last edited by ttt_ttt; 04/02/2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Caj, can you list some of the reported problems running the script on 1.4.1? And if they are specific to the 720 or 800? I have been having a couple if issues since 1.4.1 and I am wondering if they are similar.
    For those curious, I installed CPU scaler and set it to 250->600MHz yesterday. Playing Sandstorm,my character would not move despite pushing the digital stick in various directions. I then closed the game and fired up NFSU. I was racing and the game closed and there were no error messages. Just disappeared. I loaded up WOSQI and uninstalled CPU scaler and service and loaded the 600Mhz .ipk...everything was fine until an hour ago when I was A2DP streaming from music remix, browsing this site,running battery monitor and tried to load up Card ace. My Pre froze at the launcher screen and rebooted itself. P.S.- I never had these issues before and don't know if it's the new OS version,patches etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttt_ttt View Post
    Why the **** is it [the kernel source] unavailable, this is under GPL, they have to share it...
    I was wondering the same thing. By building on the work of thousands of volunteers' work, Palm is REQUIRED to make the source code available. I am sure they will use their own interpretation of the GPL, but mine (and probably most people's) is that if they release something production, the source better be available AT THE SAME TIME. Otherwise, I believe they would be under violation of the license (and breaking Copyright Law)...
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    ...everything was fine until an hour ago when I was streaming from music remix, browsing this site,running battery monitor and tried to load up Card ace. My Pre froze at the launcher screen and rebooted itself. P.S.- I never had these issues before and don't know if it's the new OS version,patches etc.
    I doubt the phone "rebooted", it probably restarted Luna (a phone reboot will take several minutes, a Luna restart will take around 1 min or less). I have been having problems with occasional Luna restarts ever since 1.4.0, and it (unfortunately) continues with 1.4.1.1. It doesn't seem to matter if the 800 Mhz kernel is installed or not. Prior to 1.4.0, I had been using the phone almost 9 months and never had a spontaneous Luna restart (or reboot for that matter).
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    The 800 Mhz patch ran perfectly for a week on 1.4.
    Just tried it on 1.4.1.1. Installed fine, seemed to work as before, BUT......
    after an hour or so I had run thru my 3D games (NFSU, Asphalt 5, Let's Golf) and they all loaded correctly and played great. Noticed that the battery usage was very high. Dropped from 95% to under 50% in 1.5 hours. Went to bring up the app list and the gui started acting screwy. The quick launch bar would come up instead of the app list, the phone would pop up without being called on. The the phone would only toss half way up, stop and stay there. Using the app icon on the app bar I couldn't launch anything.
    Overall, the GUI was totally messed. Did a Luna and then a full restart. Still one messed up GUI.
    So I uninstalled the 800 Mhz patch, did a full restart, and everything was back to working perfectly (albeit slower) Checked and the cpu was back to 498.56 Mhz.

Waiting hopefully for the 800 Mhz kernel patch to be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I agree and didn't mean to make it out that some are more "worthy" than others. I just would like it better if people would do some research before they come running to get someone else to do their work for them.

This world is what it is though so I don't expect it to conform to my wishes.

Oh and where I live your dog on my lawn equals shotgun.
    LOL... fair enough. It sounds like you and I live in a similar neck of the woods. Shotgun FTW!!!

I did some testing of my own today after seeing so many posts asking if this could be installed from the phone. The answer is YES!!!! I was already in DEV mode but don't know if it is necessary to do it this way.

Simply install "Internalz" and "Terminal" using Preware along with the services they require to run. Type in the link address to the file you want to download in your Pre browser (from the first page of this thread). When the page loads it will show the file downloading on the bottom of the page. When it is done, just swipe it to the right. It is now in your /media/internal/downloads folder. I used "Internalz" to copy the file to /var/home/root then used "Terminal" to run the install command.

Voila... I am now clocking 720MHz.

I see a noticeable difference in app load times and responsiveness. I have never measured temp on my Pre but it seems to be much cooler during my normal use patterns. The battery may be draining a little quicker. I'll monitor that over the weekend.

If there is a big difference from 720 to 800 let me know and I will try it.

Thanks to Caj and Marco, and Jason Robitaille and so many others for developing such great stuff for our phones.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 04/03/2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Prior to 1.4.0, I had been using the phone almost 9 months and never had a spontaneous Luna restart (or reboot for that matter).
    I did had 1.3.x long enough, but I had hangs, reboots, missing icons all the way long...

Ok, I install nearly everything from preware since day 1 of my pre (GSM o2 Germany), an patch it with everything I assume valuable.
    At the moment it restarts Luna/reboots nearly every day when on the stone and fully charged.
    It restarts Luna/reboots nearly everytime I have installed something via preware and send it to sleep and wake it up again.
    I have to take out the battery every time I want a reboot via power button -> on/off -> restart

So, feel lucky crxssi :-)

And yes, GPL means have everything at hand when using it.
    From the sounds of it everyone can run the patch on WebOS 1.4.1 i'm gonna try it out and report any problems. i'll be constantly monitoring the temp and maybe install the temp alarm app, hehe