Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I found this neat trick to enable google talk to basically communicate to ANY IM service out there. I tested this out using Yahoo! IM and it works okay (I'm still testing it as we speak). Anyway here's what I did to enable it. Thanks to bigblueball.com and TechLifeBlogged for their articles

Download the following software first (if you don't have it) :
    1. PSI installer
    2. Google Talk installer

Procedure :
    Step 1 : Follow the instructions from the TechLifeBlogged to setup google talk with PSI ** Note: As the software is not the same currently (due to an update), just ensure the following :
    a. Check box is selected at "Send "keep-alive" packets (to prevent timeouts)" & "Probe legacy SSL port"
    b. Select the "Over encrypted connection" in the "allow plaintext authentication" selection.
    c. DO NOT enter any manual HOST. The software can recognize the gtalk account.
    b.
    Step 2 : In your Pre, add your google talk account in the messaging application
    Step 3 : Enjoy ^_^

You may need to log in and out 1 time to refresh the account on the pre(this happened to me also). But basically, if it works on the gtalk client (on the PC/Mac), it will work on the pre.

In case you need to delete the service (its the link from the other IM to gtalk) from gtalk, you need to use PSI again and delete the service from the user list (its usually at the bottom). Hope this helps ! Thanks.
    Last edited by janric; 03/17/2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added an update for the setup of PSI
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I have used this method to connect to MSN and it has generally worked very well. I've been suprised I havent heard of other people using it.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I couldnt get this to work. When I try to put the account "online" at the bottom, it keeps telling me "cannot find server." The instructions on that site are for an older version of the software or something.

Thanks for the help, but I could not follow.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I couldnt get this to work. When I try to put the account "online" at the bottom, it keeps telling me "cannot find server." The instructions on that site are for an older version of the software or something.

Thanks for the help, but I could not follow.
    Now that you mentioned it, I also had this problem. The new software version does not need to input the "talk.google.com". It can automatically detect google talk. Hope this helps as its working very good for the past 3 days using my Yahoo ID. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ohhh sweet, I got it to work thanks for the instructions I'm a happy camper again wooohoooo, hugs for you and thank you for posting these instructions
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    well I was working good but now I just wanted to delete the yahoo stuff out and redo it, how do I make the list of names go away. I didn't quite get the message about on how to delete it, I didn't see anything that said user list

thanks
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nettyspre View Post
    well I was working good but now I just wanted to delete the yahoo stuff out and redo it, how do I make the list of names go away. I didn't quite get the message about on how to delete it, I didn't see anything that said user list

thanks
    You need to delete the "yahoo.jaim.at" using the PSI software. Once you removed it, your account will not be linked to Yahoo through "jaim.at". And you also need to manually remove your other contacts in gtalk as it will not auto delete themselves even after you removed the "yahoo.jaim.at". Thanks.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Google talk listens on 443 but only seems to allow SSL connections. I assume that the solution to the problem a bunch of people have with not being able to connect to gtalk over their office wifi would be solved if jabber could connect using ssl. I have no idea, however, how invasive a patch that would be.

What do you think? Pidgin can do it, so I assume libpurple can do it.
    All this is doing is using XMPP and transports. Has anyone tried this with Greg's Jabber messaging plug-in?