Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast
    I think congratulations are in order Link: Overclocked Palm Pre is just what the doctor ordered -- Engadget
    Beat me to it SqyArc, and yes congratulations are in order. Congrats guys.
    Congrats to you guys on your overclocking, just as an fyi, I dunno how you're heatsink compares to the Droid's, but we've been able to OC the TI OMAP3430 to 1.3GHz stably and 1Ghz without a terribly noticeable drain on battery life. Maybe we'll start seeing Pre's up there with that kind of power.

Good luck guys!
    First Evar 1.4.0 Screenshot's Leaked By Your's Truly
    I am disappointed with alot of things right now. I have had it.

kernel hacking is the easy part.
    Live free or DIE!
    article is total BS

I am done.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I am disappointed with alot of things right now. I have had it.

kernel hacking is the easy part.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    article is total BS

I am done.
    I can try get dieter to personally edit any part of the article you're uncomfortable with?

EDIT: Caj2008, clear your PM inbox!
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 03/15/2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the only farce I've seen is how they talk about reduced battery life and increased heat (which according to what I've seen isn't really an issue if you follow the warnings) but the comments come to your defense, hopefully they'll update it with better information. I threw a link back to this thread to get people to come and read, which is better than what they'll get on Engadget.
    caj2008, since heat does seem to be the one limiting factor and the battery temp is avail in software, would it be possible for the new patched kernel to monitor for high temps and lower the speed to 500mhz until cooled?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I have fouind temp increases similar with 500 MHz!!!! Our data showed no major change in temperature. I do not want to speculate about any future developments due to recent inaccurate reporting which has frankly ***** me off!
    Right, but I remember (I could be remembering wrong) you saying that if the temp was high and you were overclocked, it could brick. I don't know of any cases of bricking at 500mhz with higher temps. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Right, but I remember (I could be remembering wrong) you saying that if the temp was high and you were overclocked, it could brick. I don't know of any cases of bricking at 500mhz with higher temps. Am I wrong?
    According to another member the OMAP3430 can be overclocked to 1.0ghz - 1.3ghz, so logic presumes 800Mhz is pretty safe too. Though caution is always advised.

Marco & Jeff have done extensive testing (80 Users short term - 3 Long term) with *no* adverse effects.

Temperature change is negligible and no cases have ben reported of higher Temp Bricking (not that im aware of - CAJ2008 will be able to comment better than I), theres data posted by the alpha team with temp, might be a good source to check.
    I have fouind temp increases similar with 500 MHz!!!! Our data showed no major change in temperature. I do not want to speculate about any future developments due to recent inaccurate reporting which has frankly ***** me off!
    Agreed!

For me, the only time I've ever seen significant temperature increases was when I was tethering; with or without overclocking the temp increase was the same...In which case, it's horrid but totally unrelated to overclocking!

Just to be clear, I make this statement because I have yet to see anyone on the tethering threads make a fuss over the heat issue despite the fact it can be quite substantial.

Oh god... i just watched the video. Weeks away :*( damn you Caj! Lol, you guys are doing some amazing work. I'm very glad you are moving ahead so quickly. I look forward to having a blazing fast Pre, it's the only thing that holds this phone back imo! Good luck, and i'll be looking for updates like a hawk! lol
    Question Jeff
    With this implemented on the Pre with the new 800MHz patch, will the speed be even better?
    Or will it affect it in a bad way?
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    You are wrong, sir. Read the intro to this thread and the intro and to my other thread (second and third signature threads, respectively). I have reported these findings earlier on other threads though. The way Palm loads apps via updates (all at once without rest of the cpu) with large files (3 Gb, many 3D apps) can brick a Pre at 500 MHz. Frequency doesnt matter as much (see similar temp increase). I have seen the effects of this personally. In addition, if my son tethered and played 3D games on the unpatched system, and the Pre acted real funny and started to crash with other latent effects (due to heat). I have duplicated the conditions in which I bricked my Pre (500 MHz instaed of 600 MHZ) and saw virtually the same things except I monitored the temp and caught it just in time. We have seen from the overclocking studies that temp doesnt in general change with frequency (and with 500 and 600 results), but that doesnt mean Palm's software isny susceptible to heat induced under any conditions.

I am offline for awhile as Iam **** off at the reporting done
    Thank you for the update and correction caj2008! That is good to hear. Sorry about the bad reporting (and my following it apparently ). I appreciate you taking the time to clear all thsi up. I'm going to send Engadget an email pointing them to the correct info.
    Obviously by my previous statements I'm excited to test/use this as well.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Great stuff I'm seeing. I'm wondering if you guys created another cpu stat of 720/800 and set the cpu freq to that state. Then maybe we could get cpu scaling between 500 and 800 if possible.

if it's more stable to stay at 800, I can understand. I can't wait to see the source! Even though it might confuse the crap out of me
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I know the original post said dont use on 1.4, but a few have tried and succeeded, is this definitely a no go?if so, I am willing to test a 1.4 alpha when its ready
    these kind of comments and actions, are not going to advance us at all. please people, stop doing that. its starting to get annoying.
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 03/15/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    This will be awsome! I was dreaming about so fast speeeeed, but I see this will be real! Just I wait for the stable 1.4 version compatibility!
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I understand the new kernal isnt safe, but can you go into better detail as exactly what is breaking it?

it works at 800 on 1.4, with all data working...so what are the side effects of what you guys have right now?
    ok, so whats this guy on about?
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast