03/22/2010, 06:15 PM
I have nearly completed all testing and here is a quick rundown of my results, I will attach the .XLS file in due time.
For the battery drain tests, I noted, after 3 or more repeated tests at each clock speed, an improvement in battery drain (lower % being better) at the higher 800MHz clockspeed. I attribute this to a higher efficiency at running the entire OS at the higher clockspeed. This is with average-light usage with slight variations of at least 5 running apps at a time, short calls, and a few text messages and emails. I also noted a slightly higher temperature via the battery monitor app using the 800MHz kernel vs the 500MHz and 720MHz kernels, but nothing over 35 degrees C.
Be it placebo or not, the phone feels substantially smoother and snappier at 800MHz and after testing was concluded I noticed significant improvements in speeds on nearly all fronts of the OS. The only parts that didn't exactly 'feel' faster were the rendering of certain websites and applications that required a large amount of data. However, after measuring average speed with cache clearing, the improvement in render times is noticeable, at least on paper.
The largest improvement I noticed was in the loading time for the Tetris touch application. The loading screen that appeared on the 500MHz, and 720MHz is nearly non existant, even after a fresh start and a reinstall.
Overall, results are impressive, and the patch seems more than safe after using it for 3-4 days. I will continue using the 800MHz kernel as I am confident it does very little harm to the hardware, if at all, and the usability improvement is more than worth the minimal risk I have measured with the tests.