View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 1 of 23 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Press the Thanks! button if you find this useful. :-)

Guide originally tested with webOS 1.4.5
    As of 3/27/11, Confirmed to work with webOS 2.1

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not posting this sooner. I've known how to do this for quite some time and done it on previous sprint phones with success. As far as I know it only works for Sprint. Haven't tested on Verizon or Bell so if someone can confirm it works that would be great! You're gonna need your MSL to do this. Please write down the default values of what your going to edit in case you experience any problems. Please read instructions carefully.

Where do I enter this ##data# (3282) Hash Code? open the phone app and enter it in the Phone Dialer.

Buffer Size: (The Main Speed Increase)

1) Under the ##data# menu,
    2) press the menu, then select multimedia, then buffer size.
    3) This is where you enter your MSL
    4) Delete the 7 and make it 20.
    5) When you exit this menu, reset your Palm Pre/Pixi.
    6) Upon powerup, go to the Phone App, go to Preferences, and press Update Network Settings.
    7) Repeat steps 1 & 2 and verify the Buffer Size is still 20

Smooth Out Sprint TV
    MMG IP and Port Change: (SPRINT USERS ONLY)

1) Under the ##data# menu,
    2) press the menu, then select multimedia, then MMG IP.
    3) This is where you enter your MSL
    4) Delete the IP and make it 0.0.0.0
    5) Now select MMG Port
    6) Use the back arrow to delete what's there and make it 0
    7) When you exit this menu, reset your Palm Pre/Pixi.
    8) Upon powerup, go to the Phone App, go to Preferences, and press Update Network Settings.
    9) Repeat steps 1 & 2 and verify the MMG IP is 0.0.0.0 and MMG Port is 0

Home Agent Change:

NOTE: If you often travel around the country it is not necessary to do the Home Agent Change. Leave the Primary as 255.255.255.255. Please make sure that your secondary is configured as your closest server to your home. I live in San Jose and my secondary is 68.28.49.76

1) Under the ##data# menu
    2) Scroll down to see/select Primary Home
    3) Enter your MSL
    6) Use the back arrow to delete 255.255.255.255
    7) Type in the Home Agent closest to where you live.
    The Home Agent number can be found: Home Agent IP's : EVDOinfo.com.
    8) Repeat for Secondary Home, and continue below or restart.

NOTE: Do Not update Network Settings after doing this. Doing so will replace the Primary Home back to 255.255.255.255.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW, try out all your internet dependent Apps (browser, news, weather, Amazon MP3, gps, Preware, App Catalog, mytether, etc), you should notice an increase in both the speed and smoothness of these programs as well as your EVDO connections in general.

Please, anyone who uses this, let me know your results. Positive or negative. If you can, compare the speeds without this Mod and after with speed tests. Hopes this helps! Press the Thanks! button if you find this useful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSL Number Help Section:

VERIZON

The Verizon MSL Number is 000000 (Thanks to the tipsters)

SPRINT

call *2 (customer service) Its gonna ask you if you are calling on your current phone. After you get passed this step you should try get a tech representative. Tell them that you wanna do a hard reset on your phone and it asks for the MSL number or just make up a story that will make them give it to you. They should be willing to give you the MSL number. Most of the time they will give it to you. If they dont wanna give it to you then just hang up and try again with someone else. Eventually you will get it!

He told me step by step directions on how to get to the restore (including the ##3282#) and then gave me my MSL number.

This may also work if you do a live chat on Sprint.com
    Last edited by Cinnabarcorp; 04/10/2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Confirmed to work with webOS 2.1
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    it won't let me make it 20. It says operation failed. And wats MSL?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Same here, it won't let me change the number. It won't even let me enter "7" which is what was in there in the first place.
  4.    #4  
    You must know your MSL Number. I will provide a guide on how to get it later on. You can search on the forums on how to get it as well if you dont have it.
    Gustavo Guillen

i called sprint and asked for it. took like 3 min.

I got it changed and ill post my results later on.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    You must know your MSL Number. I will provide a guide on how to get it later on. You can search on the forums on how to get it as well if you dont have it.
    Are you trying to give us ways on how to ruin our phones?...How would you post that and then tell us that you're going to update later?..Why didnt you just post it later too? lol
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Are you trying to give us ways on how to ruin our phones?...How would you post that and then tell us that you're going to update later?..Why didnt you just post it later too? lol
    This guide is for users that know their MSL number. You cant edit these setting without it therfore you cant ruin your phone. You can call sprint and ask for the MSL number but you'll have to give them an excuse if they ask why. I will explain more later.
    Gustavo Guillen

I called and got mine and made the chanhe, will post result later
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    This guide is for users that know their MSL number. You cant edit these setting without it therfore you cant ruin your phone. You can call sprint and ask for the MSL number but you'll have to give them an excuse if they ask why. I will explain more later.

Hey, dont run off!..I want to know
    An excuse like what?....
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Be advised that by raising the slot index, your phone will check with the tower less frequently for incoming calls.. You may want to experiment a bit and make sure that your phone still rings in time when someone tries to call you and that it doesnt switch over to voicemail too quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Be advised that by raising the slot index, your phone will check with the tower less frequently for incoming calls.. You may want to experiment a bit and make sure that your phone still rings in time when someone tries to call you and that it doesnt switch over to voicemail too quick.
    Oh..Is that so?...I'll pass on it then.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I dont know if it still uses the same values, but for every increase in the slot index, the phone would check with the tower an additional 5.1 seconds.. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I dont know if it still uses the same values, but for every increase in the slot index, the phone would check with the tower an additional 5.1 seconds.. YMMV.
    Thats more than a minute....We're increasing the value from 7 - 20...No way lol
    Does anyone know anymore tweaks to improve your sprint phone?...Like something that can help your phone get better service other than a coverage amplifier lol......ANYTHING?..
  15.    #15  
    The Default of the Slot Index is 2

If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
    seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
    every 5.12 seconds, and so on. MY guide's method Conserves battery life. However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often. This can help the EVDO Connection. You can do Section 2 as an option, try it out first and see what results you get!

as for me I call my phone with my Slot Index at 7 and I receive the call about the same time as the default. That's just me though.
    Gustavo Guillen

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Thats more than a minute....We're increasing the value from 7 - 20...No way lol
    7 - 20 is the buffer size which wont affect the call. We are talking about the Slot Index which is section 2
    Gustavo Guillen

I have applied the fix it also helps with your Sprint TV connection http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1801550
    All I can say is WOOOOOOOOW.....My connection is super fast now..... It made mytether super fast as well. I don't think sprint will be happy about this at all, but I love it.....This has to be one of the best post EVER. Thanks Bro....
    Uhmm..is there any tweak that enhances you connection rate?...Dude..at my house, i get little or no signal, its unbareable!...Im disgusted that i have a smartphone and im breaking up when someone calls my cell while im at home and so on....
    I was unaware sprint would just give out MSL...
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
Page 1 of 23 123456 11 ... LastLast