View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Nice my speed went to 882kbps def. a an increse to twice as much!!
    Will try again when i am close to my nyc home area since i am an hour away into jersey at work right now.
    A question about changing the polling frequency? I mean if you put it to 7 for example and say its every 10-15 seconds its polling. How does this affect recieving incomming calls, say for example you get a call during that time but the phone isn't polling to see if its comming in would you miss it?

Also what effects does changing the buffer rate higher or lower do? Say 25 or 15, is there a certain logic behind it the higher the buffer the faster the connection gets?
    I have two questions..

1. Are the addresses on Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com listed towards the bottom valid, and are they the only ones? I'm in Michigan so would I pick IN or MO? I'm not understanding what is considered "close" to me..

2. Do I need the Sprint connection manager? I tried to find it, ended up with "Sprint Smartview", but it won't find my phone...

help! (please)
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Home Agent Change:
    1- Under the ##data# menu
    2- Scroll down to see/select Primary Home
    3- Enter your MSL
    6- Use the back arrow to delete 255.255.255.255
    7- Type in the Home Agent closest to where you live. The Home Agent number can be found: Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com.
    8- Repeat for Secondary Home, and continue below or restart.
    NOTE: Do Not update Network Settings after doing this for at least 3 days. Doing so will replace the Primary Home back to 255.255.255.255.
    I did this [and the first part of this of course] but not the second section.

My question is... what happens if I go to lets say... California [since it's farrrr away from Chicago]?

My other question is... what does the first section do for me?
    You explain that the second section can increase the speed "a little" but what about the first?
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    I have two questions..

1. Are the addresses on Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com listed towards the bottom valid, and are they the only ones? I'm in Michigan so would I pick IN or MO? I'm not understanding what is considered "close" to me..

2. Do I need the Sprint connection manager? I tried to find it, ended up with "Sprint Smartview", but it won't find my phone...

help! (please)
    No you do not need the sprint connection manager, just your MSL which you can get from sprint. Easiest way is go to sprint.com start a chat with support and tell them you need your MSL for a hard reset, they will provide it to you then follow instructions.

Also pick the home agent nearest you, go on google maps and see which one is closest to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I did this [and the first part of this of course] but not the second section.

My question is... what happens if I go to lets say... California [since it's farrrr away from Chicago]?

You explain that the second section can increase the speed "a little" but what about the first?
    I do not know about the first, but i did both sections and it doubled my speed, if you go california you can change it back to the default 255.255.255.255 or even better speed change it to a california ip and change it back when you get back to chicago.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I was a network engineer in a previous life (not a cellular engineer), so some of this is speculation.

Changing the buffer size on a network protocol stack allows the pipeline to have more data 'in flight' at any given time. With the buffer at 7, only 7 chunks of data can be in the pipeline before the system has to wait for an acknowledgement. Raising that to 20 allows more data to be flowing before that return ack is required. This is particularly useful for streaming media (hence the improvements in Sprint TV).

There is a risk, however, if your connection is flaky. If a packet of data is found to be bad, there is potentially more data that needs to be retransmitted, as most 'sliding window' protocols will retransmit everything after the bad packet.

BTW, to learn more about the theory, you should be able to search 'Sliding Window Protocol' and get lots of answers.

HTH,
    Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    No you do not need the sprint connection manager, just your MSL which you can get from sprint. Easiest way is go to sprint.com start a chat with support and tell them you need your MSL for a hard reset, they will provide it to you then follow instructions.

Also pick the home agent nearest you, go on google maps and see which one is closest to you.
    Yeah I got my MSL and did the first part of this tut...but I'm having a problem finding the home agent closest to me..

I'm on google maps now..but not sure what I'm looking for?
  10. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm that it works with Verizon or Bell?
    I would love to try it on Bell, but I can't find any info on the HA's in Bell. If someone knows where to find it, I'll definitely try it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    I do not know about the first, but i did both sections and it doubled my speed, if you go california you can change it back to the default 255.255.255.255 or even better speed change it to a california ip and change it back when you get back to chicago.
    I understand that. I guess my question is:

What happens if I go some place farrrr away and I DON'T change my "home" from Chicago to wherever?
    WOW! This made my connection must quicker. Thanks so much!
  13. Evansgw
    Baltimore, Sprint

First test using Mobile Speed test

Set to:
    20 Buffer Size
    68.28.241.76 Relay, MD Area 7
    68.28.241.77 Relay, MD Area 7

Gave me just:

Second (1mb) test:

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Haha I did that too, they gave me instructions on how to do the reset and of course that included the msl in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by eazypic View Post
    When you say slow ring, Im assuming you mean how, for example, when I call my wifes pre ( same for her to mine too ) it will ring about 9 times on the callers side and only about 2-3 on the phone being called side ?? - we sometimes get VM before it ever rings on the one being called

This has always been an issue for sprint on every one Ive called - main reason I didnt want to switch over from Nextel..... but the pre was just too sexy
    That is exactly what I mean. Your phone by default was programmed to check the towers every 5.12 seconds. That means if someone calls you immediately after your phone checks, their phone will ring for 5.12 seconds before your phone will ring at all. Reducing your slot cycle to quickens your phone's check time to 2.56 seconds. This will slightly affect battery life so use it if it is important to you.

All of this is why I don't recommend changing it to 7 like what was suggested in the first post. It is highly unlikely that you will receive any phone calls. You would have to get lucky and get a phone call right before you phone checks after waiting 163 seconds. If you want to use your phone as a phone then changing it to 7 is not practical. Hope this helps.
    Press the Thanks! button if you find this useful. :-)

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not posting this sooner. I've known how to do this for quite some time and done it on previous sprint phones with success. As far as I know it works for Sprint. Haven't tested on Verizon or Bell so if someone can confirm it works that would be great! You're gonna need your MSL to do this.

Where do I enter this ##data# (3282) Hash Code? open the phone app.

SECTION 1: Buffer Size

1- Under the ##data# menu,
    2- press the menu, then select multimedia, then buffer size.
    3- This is where you enter your MSL
    4- Delete the 7 and make it 20.
    5- When you exit this menu, reset your Palm Pre/Pixi.
    6- Upon powerup, go to the Phone App, go to Preferences, and press Update Network Settings.
    7- Repeat steps 1 & 2 and verify the Buffer Size is still 20

Home Agent Change:
    1- Under the ##data# menu
    2- Scroll down to see/select Primary Home
    3- Enter your MSL
    6- Use the back arrow to delete 255.255.255.255
    7- Type in the Home Agent closest to where you live. The Home Agent number can be found: Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com.
    8- Repeat for Secondary Home, and continue below or restart.
    NOTE: Do Not update Network Settings after doing this for at least 3 days. Doing so will replace the Primary Home back to 255.255.255.255.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTIONAL - OPTIONAL -OPTIONAL

SECTION 2: Slot Index (NOTE: Before starting Sec. 2 please do all steps in Sec. 1)

THIS SECTION IS OPTIONAL AND MAY HELP YOUR EVDO SPEED A LITTLE. PLEASE GO DOWN TO READ MY STATEMENT ON THIS!

1- Under the ##data# menu,
    2- press the menu, then select advanced, then slot index.
    3- This is where you enter your MSL again
    4- Delete the 2 and make it 7.
    5- When you exit this menu, reset your Palm Pre/Pixi.
    6- Repeat steps 1 & 2 and verify the slot index is still 7

The Default of the Slot Index is 2
    On the CDMA Paging Channel (this is the shared channel that all phones
    listen to for incoming calls and other control info), time is divided into
    "slots". To conserve power, phones that are currently idle only "wake up"
    and listen for messages on the Paging Channel during their assigned
    slots. The slot cycle index determines how often the phone's slot comes
    around. If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
    seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
    every 5.12 seconds, and so on. MY guide's method Conserves battery life. However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often. This can help the EVDO Connection. You can do Section 2 as an option, try it out first and see what results you get! As for me I receive calls about the same time as the default.

NOW, try out all your internet dependent Apps (browser, news, weather, Amazon MP3, gps, Preware, App Catalog, mytether, etc), you should notice an increase in both the speed and smoothness of these programs as well as your EVDO connections in general.

Please, anyone who uses this, let me know your results. Positive or negative. If you can, compare the speeds without this edit and after with speed tests. Hopes this helps! Press the Thanks! button if you find this useful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't got your MSL Number? Try this! (SPRINT ONLY)

call *2 (customer service) Its gonna ask you if you are calling on your current phone. After you get passed this step press "4" and then "5" and then "0". you should get a tech representative. Tell them that you wanna do a hard reset on your phone and it asks for the MSL number or just make up a story. They should be willing to give you the MSL number. Most of the time they will give it to you. If they dont wanna give it to you then just hang up and try again with someone else. Eventually you will get it.

I told the guy I didn't have another line to talk to him on, even though I had both my wife's phone and my home phone, and he told me step by step directions on how to get to the restore (including the ##3282#) and then gave me my MSL number. Press the Thanks! button if you find this useful.
    For your sake and others, please either change the recommendation to change your slot cycle index to 7 or at the very least mention the fact that it will affect your ability to receive phone calls and to use caution. You can direct them to my thread if they want more information. I just feel that it could prevent a lot of headaches.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    Changing my Primary Home from 255.255.255.255 to one of the HA addresses made my connection slow down to a crawl. I went back to 255.255.255.255 and my EVDO was fine.

255.255.255.255 looks like a mask to me, and probably means that the network will choose the shortest connection for you. The address I put in may have been overloaded or even off-line. I'll try this patch again, but right now I'm resetting back to the default!

BTW, the OP has a SPEEDTEST.NET screen at the end of his posting. SPEEDTEST.NET requires Flash. Is someone holding out on us? Do you have Flash? If not, why did you post that screen capture? What does it tell us?
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    That is exactly what I mean. Your phone by default was programmed to check the towers every 5.12 seconds. That means if someone calls you immediately after your phone checks, their phone will ring for 5.12 seconds before your phone will ring at all. Reducing your slot cycle to quickens your phone's check time to 2.56 seconds. This will slightly affect battery life so use it if it is important to you.

All of this is why I don't recommend changing it to 7 like what was suggested in the first post. It is highly unlikely that you will receive any phone calls. You would have to get lucky and get a phone call right before you phone checks after waiting 163 seconds. If you want to use your phone as a phone then changing it to 7 is not practical. Hope this helps.
    Where do you come up with 163 seconds? Isn't the correct number 17.92 seconds, if changing the slot to 7? (2.56 seconds x 7 = 17.92)
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Yeah I got my MSL and did the first part of this tut...but I'm having a problem finding the home agent closest to me..

I'm on google maps now..but not sure what I'm looking for?
    Look at the hom agent states, and type in the cities and state you said IL or Missouri or something.

Get directions from your city to that city and see which is closer.
    Look at the hom agent states, and type in the cities and state you said IL or Missouri or something.

Get directions from your city to that city and see which is closer.
    Indiana is the closest to me from the list on that website..but does the lack of Michigan on that list mean that it doesn't have a tower? (or whatever)
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast