View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Slocumrd2008 View Post
    I changed my Primary and Secondary's to the NY numbers due to me living in the state and restarted my phone. I went to the browser and it said no internet connection. I'm on verizon so maybe those numbers don't apply? I changed it back to the 255.255.255.255 an now it works again.

Yup, the link is only for Sprint users.
    onekoolfella; are you on sprint or verizon? So you used the 68.28.121.76 New York, NY Area 3, 68.28.121.77 New York, NY Area 3 as primary and secondary? These didn't work for me on verizon . I live south of Buffalo.
    Palm M100 => Treo 700P => Palm Centro => Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    For the most part I'm sure this is common knowledge, but everyone needs to use caution while interpreting their speed tests. There are many variables affecting speed that have nothing to do with the tweaks that are being applied. For example, I just used the 1MB file on MobileSpeedtest.com to do 10 tests in a row. I didn't change a single thing on my phone between tests. All of them were done within a five minute window with the phone sitting stationary on my desk and showing a full signal. Here are my results: 696, 1276, 1468, 1146, 1674, 1504, 1500, 1194, 973, 1223. As you can see, there is a 240% difference between the best and worst speed. My numbers have an average of 1265, but a standard deviation of almost 300. That means There is a pretty big range of 'normal' speeds which would make it hard to tell whether any increase is from a tweak or just random variation.
    Three major variables there. Location of test server, network routing to the test server, which varies every time, and server congestion at the time you connect. Using my home connection, where I can trace where I'm going at any given time, if I connect to a server in the midwest going through the US alone, I get relatively stable speeds, but as soon as it flips on me leaving my home coverage, and routes me through Toronto, my speeds drop like a rock.

Don't forget latency. Hardcore MMO players obsess about ping time for a reason. One test might have you at a low average latency overall, but hit a server with a 1200ms ping, watch your speeds plummet.
    Ok so it's for sprint only. Can i still perform seciton 2 even if i can't change my home agent. Or is there a site list verizon locations for home agent change?
    So now that I got my MSL, what else can i do with it. More importantly can I put two pres on one number (plan)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Just do it and find out...Dude, if anything goes wrong, call Sprint and i BETCHA they will reset everything lol...
    Call sprint and get an airwave.
    Cinnabarcorp,

Thanks for your instructions.

I changed only the buffer size from 7 to 20 and here are my results:

mobilespeedtest.com:
    before the change: 308kbps
    after the change: 611 kbps

A simple "wget -O /dev/null http...." of a random 3632k file took
    ~53 seconds before the change and
    ~40 seconds after.

-- Alf.
    apologize if this has been posted already(didnt read all the pages)

But for all the people that are scared of calling sprint or cant get msl.. try using CDMA Workshop - dl winrar to open program. fyi
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcompg View Post
    apologize if this has been posted already(didnt read all the pages)

But for all the people that are scared of calling sprint or cant get msl.. try using CDMA Workshop - dl winrar to open program. fyi
    Doesn't work with Pre
    It doesn't read the phone
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    So now that I got my MSL, what else can i do with it. More importantly can I put two pres on one number (plan)?

Haha, okay think of the MSL number an unlock code. No by just having the MSL number you cannot clone a phone. You have to overwrite the ESN numbers to match, and it is very illegal to do. Also both phones cannot be used at the same time if you do clone them.
    Thanks for the reply. I definitely will not read about ESN #'s.
    To those that have changed their slot index from 2 to 7.... have you notice any voice mail messages where you never recieved a call? If so do you have your voice mail setup to go their after 3 rings, 6, or 8 rings?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    This gave me a big increase in speed, also my laptop runs a bit smoother when tethered as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slocumrd2008 View Post
    To those that have changed their slot index from 2 to 7.... have you notice any voice mail messages where you never recieved a call? If so do you have your voice mail setup to go their after 3 rings, 6, or 8 rings?
    I have my voicemail turned off anyways.
    So I figured it wouldn't matter.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
  16.    #136  
    Good Results so far
    I will be updating the guide soon to improve Sprint TV
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    Is there a home agent code in hawaii?
    OP link to the site only has CA as the neartest. Is that what I input?
    Question. Would the Buffer and Slot Index mod affect users that set their connection to EVDO ONLY in the ##EVDO# menu?
    WOOOOOOOOW!!!!!
    I got a significant increase.

using mobilespeedtest.com
    with the 1MB test I got:

before update:
    806kbps

after update:
    1606kbps
    my fone was at the top of it all!

thanks to the OP for this thread.
    really appreciate your help
  20.    #140  
    This thread should be a sticky
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast