View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I have to say, it has definitely increased the speed on my internet browser and the Sprint TV has never been faster... i will try to make a video of how much faster the sprint tv looks.
    does this work on verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by evanderlongoria View Post
    does this work on verizon
    I have not noticed any speed improvement with verizon. My wifi connection was fast to begin with around 6 Mbs. It did not speed up the 3G speeds.
    works for me. I was only getting max 700kbps connection for mobile hotspot. Now it gets 1.2mbps down and it runs a lot faster. Going to try youtube etc to ensure its hittin on all cylinders. didnt do the whole thing that could affect calls as I miss them anyways no need to add another issue to the mix LOL!
    Section #1 change seems to have made a difference for me on Verizon. Be careful though as if you set it too high, the connection seems to stall waiting for the receive window to fill. I wound up trying mine at 20, 30, then down to 15 and had somewhat more consistent results in areas with spotty reception when set to 15.

I'm still testing the effect of the slot number on missing calls.
    bump... this needs to come around again for those who haven't seen it.

It's awesome information
    Quote Originally Posted by cjust View Post
    For the most part I'm sure this is common knowledge, but everyone needs to use caution while interpreting their speed tests. There are many variables affecting speed that have nothing to do with the tweaks that are being applied. For example, I just used the 1MB file on MobileSpeedtest.com to do 10 tests in a row. I didn't change a single thing on my phone between tests. All of them were done within a five minute window with the phone sitting stationary on my desk and showing a full signal. Here are my results: 696, 1276, 1468, 1146, 1674, 1504, 1500, 1194, 973, 1223. As you can see, there is a 240% difference between the best and worst speed. My numbers have an average of 1265, but a standard deviation of almost 300. That means There is a pretty big range of 'normal' speeds which would make it hard to tell whether any increase is from a tweak or just random variation.
    This is because when you run a speed test over and over the file is cached in your browser and it just uses the same file you downloaded all ready and mucks up the test
    I only did the speed increase.
    After trying this out for a week, I had to change it back. After applying the buffer change to 20 everywhere I went it seemed like I had less signal than normal. IN my house where I normally have full Ev-Do I would be bouncing back and forth from 2 to 3 Ev-Do bars. I was unable to send picture messages or download PDF files from the browser. So I am sad to say this did not work for me

I hope it works for everyone else though.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I applied it to my Verizon phone, but didn't see any change in speed testing. DSL Reports reported a speed increase of 1kbps the second time meaning no change.

I did play a YouTube video without it having to buffer and I'm going to test that out a little more to see if it did anything there.

Love the quality of videos in the YouTube app, but really wish Palm would have designed it like others to lower quality when need be to ensure smooth playback at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Love the quality of videos in the YouTube app, but really wish Palm would have designed it like others to lower quality when need be to ensure smooth playback at all times.
    I agree. The long buffering times can seem like they are taking forever. Maybe someone can build a patch that would allow for us to choose Low, Medium, or High quality videos from within Youtube.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

11.    #371  
    Guide Updated
    Please look at the "Reason" on the bottom of the post.
    Section 2 was removed.
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    definitely a faster internet connection. And you tube is much faster also. Thanks for this.... I'm also using 800mghz govnah and my pre is screaming fast
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I agree. The long buffering times can seem like they are taking forever. Maybe someone can build a patch that would allow for us to choose Low, Medium, or High quality videos from within Youtube.
    Yeah, it's a bit strange Palm did what they did.

The YouTube player in Android for example determines the quality of the stream based on your current connection so you get buffer free playback at all times.

Back on topic, YouTube seems to be downloading videos a bit quicker. Haven't seen it buffer yet in good signal areas. Gonna test it out in some lower signal areas and driving around this week to see what happens.
    I originally set mine to 20 but noticed poor battery life. Have it set to 15 now and will see if its better. I'm on a sprint pre set at 800 mghz
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Honestly, I would recommend against changing you slot cycle index to 7 if you want to actually use your phone for receiving phone calls. I have tested it and it is very difficult to receive calls. You are waiting 163.84 secs for your phone to check the tower to see if a call is coming in. Most of the time the call will already be sent to your voicemail. You could get lucky and get the call but 7 is a bit high of a number to change it. Check out the following thread for more info.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    That is exactly what I mean. Your phone by default was programmed to check the towers every 5.12 seconds. That means if someone calls you immediately after your phone checks, their phone will ring for 5.12 seconds before your phone will ring at all. Reducing your slot cycle to quickens your phone's check time to 2.56 seconds. This will slightly affect battery life so use it if it is important to you.

All of this is why I don't recommend changing it to 7 like what was suggested in the first post. It is highly unlikely that you will receive any phone calls. You would have to get lucky and get a phone call right before you phone checks after waiting 163 seconds. If you want to use your phone as a phone then changing it to 7 is not practical. Hope this helps.
    For your sake and others, please either change the recommendation to change your slot cycle index to 7 or at the very least mention the fact that it will affect your ability to receive phone calls and to use caution. You can direct them to my thread if they want more information. I just feel that it could prevent a lot of headaches.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    The formula for calculating it is 1.28 times 2 to the power of the slot cycle index (1.28*2^SCI) not times the slot cycle index. That is how I get the 163.84 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Guide Updated
    Please look at the "Reason" on the bottom of the post.
    Section 2 was removed.
    Heck yeah!!!!! Finally. The "changing slot cycle to 7" section has been removed. Woohoooo!!!!! Good work. That is all I was waiting for in regards to this post. Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i just did the speed and sprinttv tweaks.... speed tests seem to be running about the same, before these tweaks but sprinttv is defin smoother for sure....

in nyc area, sprint connection, evdo connection....

ps myself and coworker easily got the MSL# by doing the Sprint Chat online after you log into your account.... it has to be bots...lol because just mention MSL anywhere and they spit it out to you quickly...

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    This even seems to help with 1x when in roaming mode (which is the standard when I'm at either of my offices...).
  18.    #378  
    Thank you for everyones Support and Feedback. This Post has been into a Sticky in the Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources Section!
    Gustavo Guillen

19.    #379  
    Anyones EVDO messing up tonight?
    Gustavo Guillen

Finally tried the buffer size change. Pages do seem to load fast. The biggest difference I have noticed so far though is in the Weather Channel app. The satelite animations seem to load and refresh much faster.