View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    800mhz + This Guide equals a second computer in my eyes. I'm bout to PDF this guide. I got the MSL from Sprint in like 2min. Thanks!
    I have noticed some speed increases, but since I am not always checking the data speeds; then I can't really know for sure. I was able to get speeds last night that were over 1,000Kbps; which is the fastest I have found while at home. The SprintTV Ping settings didn't seem to work at all, and even made the channels worse at times; so I Restored those settings back to the Default.

Why can't we make the Buffer-Size larger then 20? Why not 30? I still just want to understand exactly why changing these settings helps with the data speeds, and how this was discovered? I'm a Nerd; so I don't like the idea of not understanding something.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Used the speed test at ispgeeks. Did it 3x, one after the other
    839.60 kbps
    882.70 kbps
    724.20 kbps

I'll take it!! Easy site to use.

Also, will this work with EVDO connections on other Sprint phones?
    Last edited by calpolykc; 04/02/2010 at 07:37 PM.
  4.    #304  
    All the settings seemed to have been reseted to its default values when updated to 1.4.1.1 so please redo everything!
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    last night i figured id do a test to see how much battery drain id get over night with this mod,the 720mhz patch and the cpu scaler 250-720. I woke up this morning and to my surprise i got a 1.19 drain per hour!!!!!
    Awesome thread! I got my new Pre yesterday to replace a cracked USB port and held off trying this until I get the new device all set up and tweaked. I followed the directions and was able to get my MSL # from Sprint in no time. After tweaking both the Buffer size and MMG IP and Port numbers, I tried out the changes.

Before the changes, I ran the YouTube app and had problems (as always) of having to wait for the buffer to load. Sometimes I'd have to pause the video for quite a while before I could play it without it having to wait for the buffer.
    AFTER the changes, I ran the YouTube app and it was awesome. I didn't have to pause at all... in fact, the buffer loaded much faster! Fast enough that it loaded quicker than the video played. Fantastic tweak!

I skipped Section 2 since I only wanted streaming video to play smoother. Thank you OP! Great contribution!
  7.    #307  
    Im waiting for my replacement Pre because im having issues with the keyboard and the headphone jack
    Gustavo Guillen

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

Before the changes, I ran the YouTube app and had problems (as always) of having to wait for the buffer to load. Sometimes I'd have to pause the video for quite a while before I could play it without it having to wait for the buffer.
    Yeah same here. I used to just download the Youtube video through my phone and then delete it after I was done watching it. So far the videos do seem to be playing much easier. I just watched an older commercial that played without any lag at all. So this trick does seem to be helping.

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    So has anyone got this to work on Bell? When I go to the buffer setting, there is no number there at all. Don't want to mess around without knowing what I'm doing.

Any help would be appreciated.
  10.    #310  
    Bump

Keep this alive!
    Gustavo Guillen

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Bump

Keep this alive!
    I know I have asked this before, but no one has answered it yet.
    1. How does changing these settings help with the TV and Data speeds?
    2. Why can't we change the Buffer-Size to 30?
    3. How did you discover this trick?

My data speeds do seem to be faster, but I can't know for sure. I'm very glad that you posted the trick. I love hacks like this! I just want to better understand why this process can help?

12.    #312  
    Changing the Buffer Size allows more data to be transfered in one time so that helps data and TV. 20 Is the max so 30 wouldnt work well.
    Gustavo Guillen

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Changing the Buffer Size allows more data to be transfered in one time so that helps data and TV. 20 Is the max so 30 wouldnt work well.
    Do you know of any other Hacks or Tricks?

14.    #314  
    As of now no...
    Gustavo Guillen

well i will say that this did somewhat improve my speed. i was able to stream youtube quite well on my netbook, no stopping to buffer!!!
    changing the buffer only affects buffering right? like youtube and streaming?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    went from average of about 800-900ish to this by changing my primary home and buffer from 7 to 20.

this was my peak after a 1200 & 1300 result

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    So calling Sprint is the only way to get the MSL? What is the best approach to get it from them?
  19.    #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    changing the buffer only affects buffering right? like youtube and streaming?
    It does affect the buffer but it also improves the EVDO Data in general. It pulls more data in one time. Think of it has a garden hose for 7 and a Fire truck hose for 20. It allows more "water" to go through.
    Gustavo Guillen

good analogy lol

but yeah it improved but not very much from like 700-900 better in youtube tho

i ask for my msl in sprint chat he gave it to me right away. i emailed them and they said "due to technical limitations we cannot give the msl out" so i asked do i need to call? reply was same limitations exist in if you call" i replied after i got it umm i just got it lol

but does msl numbers tie to the phone or the account? say i get a new pre or hero would the msl be different?