View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cjust View Post
    As you can see, my best average and expected range came with the default settings.
    That's the exact reason for the defaults. They're going to be best for a large group of people.

The point of this is, from what I can gather, if you are in an area where you're closer to one station than another [yet your default has you switching between the two] you're more likely to get a stronger signal every time from the closer one. Thus connecting to the closer one each time would increase your speed.

That's what I'm gathering from this.
    Your best bet is to set to 255.255.255.255 since it selects the HA nearest to you. Years ago when I put this together, the south and southwest tended to have the slowest paths and changing the HA might make a difference.

Remember... changing the HA only alters the routing beyond the cell site, not the cell site itself you connect to. You might hit a less congested route path but if the cell site itself is congested, you'll always have slower performance.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i changed my slot for call checks to the recommended on the first page of this post, and i tested calling my phone from another, and found NO change to how long it took for my phone to start ringing... so i say go for it.
    Conclusion buffer size does absolutley nothing in helping speeds.
    I tried different buffer sizes the speed was exactly the same. And buffer size has more to do with streaming videos and music. The higher the buffer the longer it takes for the video to load or song to load.

Im sure someone with a technical background can explain this better. But so far no comparable difference between buffers and choosing your own home server.

Conclusion it all depends on the speed of the network, which is not in our control, thats up to sprint. Just like at home sometimes you hit download speeds of 2mb sometimes 1mb depends on how busy the network is and thats it.

Hope that helps and saves you time lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    Conclusion buffer size does absolutley nothing in helping speeds.
    I tried different buffer sizes the speed was exactly the same. And buffer size has more to do with streaming videos and music. The higher the buffer the longer it takes for the video to load or song to load.

Im sure someone with a technical background can explain this better. But so far no comparable difference between buffers and choosing your own home server.

Conclusion it all depends on the speed and of the network, which is not in our control, thats up to sprint. Just like at home sometimes you hit download speeds of 2mb sometimes 1mb depends on how busy the network is and thats it.

Hope that helps and saves you time lol
    I understand what you're saying but, even though I don't know exactly all the technical aspects of this, I would say it's best to try.

One of two things are going to happen.
    A) The defaults are best for you
    B) This hack is best for you.

Most likely, A would probably be true. But obviously there are examples in this thread that B happens too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I understand what you're saying but, even though I don't know exactly all the technical aspects of this, I would say it's best to try.

One of two things are going to happen.
    A) The defaults are best for you
    B) This hack is best for you.

Most likely, A would probably be true. But obviously there are examples in this thread that B happens too.
    the only thing that can make a difference is the home server, if for some strange reason your phones settings are messed up and they route you to some far away server then changing the settings might help.

What i got from all the tests is that niether the default nor changing the buffers or home agents settings did anything. They were both the same.

If you have a normal working phne, the default settings or the new settings will give the same exact results from my tests.

Again it all depends on the network, everytime you run speed test on default or changed settings it varies wildely i went from 1.2mb/sec to 600kb/sec to all over the place.

Again these settings do pretty much nothing, since 1. sprint automatically puts you near the closest Home Area, and 2. buffering has to do with streaming.

The speeds are all on Sprints side, if sprint is reliable then you'll get higher speeds, if theres less traffic higher speeds more traffic slower, has nothing to with phone settings. Just like i said your home broadband same idea, you cant change your settings to make it faster, it's set on the companys side, unless you hack the company. Also when there are more people on the network it will get slower.

The votes don't matter, because people don't do thourough tests, i actually voted it helped me alot, i even posted it doubled my speeds! But that is untrue, if your run extensive tests you will see the speeds vary every second, so you might get a high reading because at the certain time the data signal was more reliable, not because the settings helped it in anyway.

If you run a bunch of tests i am sure you will all come to the same conclusion.
    Thanks for the advice!!! Hell yeah! This is A LOT FASTER THAN IT WAS BEFORE!!!!!
    While I see what the poster a couple back is saying about it being the network, I did this and saw BIG changes.
    With the phone sitting on the on my desk I ran the mobilespeedtest 10 time befor and was getting 700-1300.

After I was getting 1700-2900.
    I have made the 1st adjustment with changing the buffer size but on the 2nd suggestion I need my "Primary Home" info for my area: Dallas, TX. I don't have access to a aircard to try the linked info.
    Results for Palm Pre in Phoenix at around 101 and Elliot. This is not a good data signal area. Phone drops to 1x a couple of times a day.

Before DSL reports: ~320kbs
    After DSL reports: ~440kbs

Before and After (no change) mobilespeedtest.com: ~450kbs.

Methodology was to take 4 bandwidth measurements is series throw out the high and low and average the remaining two. I'd get similar numbers if I just averaged all 4.

Anecdotally, things like the Engadget app and Google Voice seem to load a bit faster. I'm going to keep the buffer and slot index settings and use the default HA (I do travel a bit so the autodetect is probably best for me).

Thanks
    I went on Sprint's web chat and asked for the MSL. They said "why do you want it" and I said because Palm support said I needed to hard reset. Done and done.

I'll be trying this procedure tonight.

Edits:
    - if the online chat person is being difficult, thank them politely, disconnect and try again. Call center roulette usually works.
    - since I neglected to do speed tests before applying the changes, I can't give objective numbers. I can subjectively say that Google Maps in satellite view seems a lot faster now.
    Last edited by AndrewRich; 03/18/2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    its faster, its worth doing for sure, i have my screen set to turn off 1 min. and i could never get preware to load in under a min. and now it does. Thank you!

to get my msl# i called sprint and told them i had to do a "hard reset" and she gave it up with no questions. I also asked her for my msl to my other pre "just incase" i had to do a hard reset to that phone and she gave me that one aslo.
    Thats weird thats exactly!! what i did lol
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRich View Post
    I went on Sprint's web chat and asked for the MSL. They said "why do you want it" and I said because Palm support said I needed to hard reset. Done and done.

I'll be trying this procedure tonight.
    I'm on the Sprint online chat right now and they're refusing to give me the MSL.. I've been informed I can only go into a store to get it. What a pain in the ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicanS4 View Post
    I'm on the Sprint online chat right now and they're refusing to give me the MSL.. I've been informed I can only go into a store to get it. What a pain in the ***.
    I got mines through the sprint chat with no problems. I just wrote that I want to do a hard reset on my phone and needed my MSL #.
    Sweet......when from 1.20 Mbps to 1.92 Mbps. Noticeable different in web speed and Sprint tv. thanks!!!!!

Got my MSL # thru Sprint chat in just a few minutes. Just told them I needed to do a hard reset and needed it....no questions ask. He just said OK and gave it to me!

Ran Speed test at mobilespeedtest.com

1MB Test 3 times: 1372 kbps avg.
    Last edited by blznqgr; 03/18/2010 at 08:09 PM.
    this and other hacks have worked well so far...I am just afraid i will try one hack too many and the smoke will pour out of my PRE.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    7 - 20 is the buffer size which wont affect the call. We are talking about the Slot Index which is section 2
    so I got this to work and I went from .77, did the change and the same settings as the .77 and got 1.54... Great stuff! Now I read that you have done this before with other phones... So I passed the info to a fellow sprint user and uses the moment... There is no buffer size, any ideas?
    I wonder if people are having a hard time getting their MSL because Sprint is getting inundated with calls about it?? I can just see a call center mgr. thinking that there must be some global hack about to occur!! Lol...

At any rate, I don't know what's true or not...and have not checked the speed before or after doing all of the steps...but, imo, I believe that my phone is a bit faster...actually, quite a bit.. Of course, it could be in my head, right?

Either way, it didn't hurt my device...and since I BELIEVE it's faster, then it doesn't really matter if it is or not! As long as I believe!
    Using mytether, I ran a speed test before and after. I saw virtually no change. I'm not saying it's a not beneficial tweak. It just didn't do much for me that
    I noticed. Both tests ran at .89 (+-.02)mb down and .21(+-.01)mb up.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    Quote Originally Posted by RicanS4 View Post
    I got straight through to tech support. Might have to make up a story. I went with, "my phone is buggy. I want to hard reset, but I only have access to this one phone, so I need all of the information required to hard reset without tech support on the line to walk me through it"
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...